Hi all,

I have had an X-E1 since shortly after they came out and am now looking to upgrade.  I love the X-E1 but would like the advantage of the improved AF of the X-E2.  Here is my dilemma.  I can get a used X-E2 from a reputable dealer for about $550 (Canadian).  At the same time, the X-E2s is on sale here in Canada for $750.  So, given that the X-E2 with firmware appears to be nearly as good as the X-E2s, what would I be missing out on for that extra $200?

If it helps any, I shoot a fairly wide variety of subject matter (street, flowers, abstract, etc.) but am really looking forward to the improved AF for more "action" shots (i.e. I have two active kids). I've read that even with the improved AF there is still an issue with action shots, but i figure it's gotta be better than the X-E1.

Thanks in advance for any input.

I’ve bought an almost new X-E2 together with a 23mm, once sold the 23mm the camera had costed me as much as I asked for a NEW (still unopened)  X-E1 which I’d bought for the lenses that the camera came with.

$550 for a used X-E2 is way too much. Look further especially with lenses which you might be able to use or sell.

There are plenty of people out there with almost unused cameras, find one and be happy. Not worth buying the X-E2S, in my opinion.

Unless you have a obsessive compulsive disorder, cleaning a camera with a wipe would remove any trace of the former owner. When I eat in a restaurant I don’t think that the plate I am using has been used (and cleaned after) by thousands of people.

Edited by milandro

Unless you have a obsessive compulsive disorder, cleaning a camera with a wipe would remove any trace of the former owner. When I eat in a restaurant I don’t think that the plate I am using has been used (and cleaned after) by thousands of people.

I do have obsessive compulsive disorder and i gave my opinion based on my condition. If you don't have one, you can ignore my post.

I appreciate your being affected by a disorder or condition but you made a blanket statement that is not for the majority of people.

You may very well have OCD and an opinion driven by this but OP might not and  therefore not being helped much or at all by your advise which is a product of your condition.

Though logical for you, dismissing buying a second hand camera is certainly not a common view otherwise your OCD wouldn’t be a condition but the norm among people and you know very well that it is not.

We buy and sell secondhand cars, drive in rented cars, sleep in (washed) used sheets in hotels, eat in (washed) used plates. Would you advise people not to go on holiday, rent a car, sleep in an hotel and eat in a restaurant?

Edited by milandro

I appreciate your being affected by a disorder or condition but you made a blanket statement that is not for the majority of people.

You may very well have OCD and an opinion driven by this but OP might not and  therefore not being helped much or at all by your advise which is a product of your condition.

Though logical for you, dismissing buying a second hand camera is certainly not a common view otherwise your OCD wouldn’t be a condition but the norm among people and you know very well that it is not.

We buy and sell secondhand cars, drive in rented cars, sleep in (washed) used sheets in hotels, eat in (washed) used plates. Would you advise people not to go on holiday, rent a car, sleep in an hotel and eat in a restaurant?

Just give me a break.

I originally bought a new X-E2 (Adorama deal) but updating to firmware 4.0 from 1.0 created a lot of operational issues even though I followed every step Fuji suggested. Ultimately, bought an X-E2s and am very happy about it.

Most had no issues updating though some, including me, had: http://www.fuji-x-forum.com/topic/2328-camera-freezes-every-time-after-fw-40-upgrade-cant-use-it/,

I had frequent freezes after update and had to remove battery/re-insert, etc. and the USB port stopped working, like some reported here: http://www.fujix-forum.com/threads/x-e2-firmware-4-problem-with-usb-connection.51919/.

I’ve bought an almost new X-E2 together with a 23mm, once sold the 23mm the camera had costed me as much as I asked for a NEW (still unopened)  X-E1 which I’d bought for the lenses that the camera came with.

$550 for a used X-E2 is way too much. Look further especially with lenses which you might be able to use or sell.

There are plenty of people out there with almost unused cameras, find one and be happy. Not worth buying the X-E2S, in my opinion.

Thanks all for the responses.  Milandro, just curious about your comment on the price.  $550 Canadian is about $430 USD.  Having a hard time finding something better than that on the usual sites (private sales via craigslist, etc. or dealer sales via KEH, etc.).  

When I was looking for my X-E2 I was considering secondhand cameras that, at most, would have costed me €300 and I managed to spend even less the way I told you for a camera that was used only to shoot one portrait session and never used again.

At the time you could buy a NEW camera in the NL ( with 3 years guarantee) for as little as €499 so the price of secondhand was affected by it and also the uncertainty over the survival of this model (remember this was prior to the firmware update which made a new camera of the X-E2).

Now, paradoxically there are less camera offered secondhand ( because sellers have smartened up and realize that they have a new camera by updating the firmware) than there were before .

However shops still carry then albeit offered with a lens or two. At the time I was told that you could buy on line a ne w X-E2 for €400+ shipping  from Malaysia ( but I wasn’t interested since we are always taxed in the EU).

Buying secondhand is a waiting game based on many intangibles and idiosyncrasies, some times you find someone who is just not interested in keeping what they have, as I did find. You need patience and a lot of luck.

Good Luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, misunderstood your question, you are talking of the Advanced SR Auto mode, I thought you were talking of the normal Auto ( aperture or shutter) settings of the camera.

I think that like all advanced modes it shouldn’t work with raws.

Edited by milandro

I would give 200$ extra not to think about whose oily greasy face was glued to the viewfinder.

If that really bothers you, simply wipe the camera clean before use. I personally couldn't care less who used it before (very unlikely to catch something from a camera lol).

What might bother me is whether future firmware updates, offering improvementd, would only be released for the X-E2s, or also for the X-E2. Not sure if the assurance of having the latest model would be worth $200. But it is something to think about.

thinking about it is good but still, you wouldn’t know what Fuji has in mind to do with this.

They obviously had something else in mind when they introduced the X-T10 and didn’t upgrade the firmware of the X-E2 for a very long time. Only after popular outrage among all those who had bought a camera at $999 when it first came out caused the to upgrade the firmware while they released the X-E2S which has such minor differences that the €200 are a doubtful choice.

Although it is reasonable to think that they will improve the X-E2S and leave the X-E2 without further developments we have no way to know what Mr. Fuji thinks and, as we’ve seen, he has been known to change his ming over breakfast.

I bought a used XE-2 from B&H earlier this year, about the time that the XE-2s was announced. It was my first Fuji. Bought the 18-55 and 23 f/1.4. Judging by the serial number on the battery, it was several years old. I updated the firmware without issue and just love the camera. No issues and I use it interchangeably with an XP-2.

Judging by the serial number on the battery, it was several years old. 

By the way, do you know how decode this number? I have several batteries, one of them is 2 years older (from older camera). All works as should, but I want to know who is who.

By the way, do you know how decode this number? I have several batteries, one of them is 2 years older (from older camera). All works as should, but I want to know who is who.

I'm sorry that I don't. The battery that cane with my used camera has a noticeably shorter life and a short serial number. My three new batteries have really long numbers. It's an assumption on my part.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd save the money and get the X-E2, with the latest firmware there aren't many differences. I had an X-E1, sold it, then missed it and was deciding on the X-E2 or X-E2s. It was an easy decision as I could get a used X-E2 with 18-55 for far less than a X-E2s body.

I have the X-E2 and the upgrade to firmware 4.0 was simple and problem free.  I looked at an X-E2S in the shop, and apart from the removal of the labels on the buttons (the upgrade 4.0 allows you to reconfigure the buttons, so the labels are not needed) and a slightly different handgrip, I couldn't see any difference.

So in your position I try to find the best deal on a new X-E2, and if it's a good discount compared to the X-E2S, go for it.

But keep the X-E1, as I've heard the skin tones are better than the E2 at higher ISO.