X30 Filter and Hood

Is there a filter and hood set for the X30 that places the filter directly on top of the lens?  From what I have been able to understand, the OEM and other 2- or 3-part assemblies leave a gap between the lens and the filter that screws into the hood, thereby creating space for dirt and grime to get in between them.

this matter is a much discussed (elsewhere) aching point affecting all the defunct X10-20-30 line.

I had a X10 which came with the adapter and lens hood and used 52mm which personally I removed and never had too many problems with dirty lens even if I used a cap which closed the lens from the outside (leaving the same vented gaps which concern you).

The front filter thread is 40.5mm  a thread that isn’t easy to find, why did they ever chose that thread is known only to Fuji’s upper circles.

Several brands of filters are said to be fitting even if they are only 40mm, but some mounts might be interfering with the front lens. apparently Marumi (and other brands) doesn’t. 

If it were me, especially on the X30 where the lens hood cannot intrude in your picture since you don’t rely on a OVF but on a EVF I would go for the adapter and occasionally blow the lens and filter clean ( as I told you I hardly ever had to do this on my X10).

• 2 weeks later...

With the Fuji brand lens hood and UV filter, the filter is built into a 40.5 - 52mm step-up ring, which screws into the lens, and the lens hood, in turn, screws into. So the filter is essentially the same as any quality UV filter on the lens side, and I can't imagine there being any problem with dirt getting between the filter and lens.

I have this filter and lens hood on my X30 (having transferred them from my X20) and have never had any problems. Plus, a very nice clincher-type lens cap was included, and the filter is an excellent Fuji-branded UV. It seemed a bit expensive for a lens hood until I realized what great a quality filter and lens cap came with it.

Edited by rpkphoto

Thanks for the information, Rodger -- much appreciated!  This is exactly how I hoped it would work.

Does this mean that I can remove the hood and use a 52mm CPL by screwing it into the UV filter thread?

Merlin and Milano - 

The filter set I'm referring to is the Lens Hood, Protector Filter LHF-X20, not the LH-JX10, which you have illustrated. With the LHF-X20, the lens shade screws off, leaving what appears to be a standard 52mm thread. If what you mean by CPL is circular polarizing filter, I see no reason one wouldn't work, although putting one filter over another may not be the best way to go.

Thanks to both of you for the information and clarification.  Much appreciated!  I have ordered the 3-part set (filter, hood, lens cap).

I have had no problems placing a CPL on top of a UV filter, so far, in terms of vignetting or image softening, even with the Nikon 24-70 and 16-85.

• 4 weeks later...

I have attached the filter and hood to the lens of the X30, and the combo works perfectly.  But now I cannot get them to come apart so I can use a 52mm CPL. 

Is there any way to do this without destroying either the hood or filter, or even worse, the lens thread?

I had the same when I had the X-10.

If I remember well, I put some teflon spray on the threaded bit where the hood connects to the adapter then I put a wooden skewer in the vented holes and screwed off the bit with filter and hood together and then I used a tool, pliers with a 45º angle protecting the jagged surface of the tip of the beak of the pliers with tape and screwed off the filter.

Before putting things together maybe better to put some graphite on the threads or teflon?