Which 3 primes combo is your ideal setup?

xherion

I just switched to the Fuji camera system. I have done a fair bit of research, and knew I wanted the XF 23 mm lens as my first non-kit lens. I picked it up today, and I love the optics and how it handles. I will likely end up with at least four prime lenses. I just ordered the new XF 90 mm lens, as I need a short telephoto lens. I will get the XF 14 mm lens next, as its wider-angle will work better for landscapes.

I will put a pause on my lens buying at that point, as I need to get a new camera body (I am using an old X-A1 now).

Once I get my new camera (replacement for the X-T1), I will order a fourth lens. It will likely be the XF 56 mm f/1.2 R lens.

So, my three lens combination will be the 14-23-90mm XF lenses. The 56 mm f/1.2 (NOT APD version) will fill in the gap between the 23 mm and 90 mm lenses.

I have the following four lenses for the system to be used on my X-T10: 14mm, 23mm, 35mm (f/1.4), and 56mm. 

From this list, I have two combos that I will use if taking three lenses:

14, 23, 56 (all around)

14, 23, 35 (light)

Alternatively, I will also do two lens setups from this set. Typically, those sets are:

14mm & 35mm (all around, light)

23mm & 56mm (all around street & family centric)

I really like the combo of lenses I now own. I also have an RX1 that can take the place of the 23mm, which then looks like this:

14, 56, RX1

14, 35, RX1

• 2 weeks later...

I've answered this question before, but my setup has changed a bit since then. I've got the 16mm, 23mm, and 35mm f/1.4 as the three primes in my bag for use with my X-T1 (plus the 55-200mm for a zoom). I used to include the 27mm as a low-profile street option in selecting my three primes, but I now have it permanently attached to an X-E1 for that use.

16/35/90

Although I have the 18 & 23, not the 16mm or 14mm. I do have 16-55/2.8 but I find 16 close to 18. I have shot with the 14mm and I would not have got the shot without it.

The 35 I really like something magical about that lens alright but for money considerations I'd choose a second hand 18/2 and 35/1.4 and get the 90 as my third with the money I'd save :)

I currently have 18, 27, 35 and an old manual 50. Not planned, the 18 and 27 came with the camera.

I'm addicted to the 27, oddly! I love how tiny it is and have just got used to the field of view. The 18 I just never use.

Totally unable to bond with the 35, which I expected to adore. Field of view is either too narrow or too wide, and I love wide apertures for narrow DOF rather than low light performance but at 35mm that hardly happens. Should have saved a few more pennies and got the 56, which I can see myself trading to soon anyway.

Then I just came back from a road trip where zooming with my feet just wasn't an option on so many occasions where I could see a shot. I missed my old canon 100mm like crazy. So could see myself ending up with 27, 56, 90.

@KateR the 90 will give a serious shock in terms of price and weight compared to the other two lenses.

I am aware that this thread is about primes but really, unless you are shooting wildlife in the darkest hours, try the humble but great 50-230mm, it is so inexpensive that even if you don’t use it much it would hardly damage the plans for a 90mm.

What an amazing insight thank you for sharing !

Hallo Everybody!

As long as I follow these kind of discussions, as far out of the most important questions about taking a picture ist seems to seduct.

Clearly any focal length has its own, BUT how to use it under which conditions and circumstances AND what should be told or explained with the picture to be made, THESE are at least for me the by far more interesting questions for my personal (and most) photographic goals.

Secondly and for my perspective as important as the above is, to really proof Yourself - BEFORE You start "shooting" - which is YOUR OWN inner approach to Your motive and are You shure and honest with the way to go and as well Your REAL capability to handle this particular focal length properly, not to "zoom and fool arround".

If these aspects are not of any interest, I doubt she or he will feel a real difference between a zoom and a prime and a 23 or 27 or a 35.

This does not mean, there won't be taken good pictures by those photographing people, but my quite long experience with myself, my rather often quite shaky learning-curve and the people I teach once in a while, showed me more often than not: one good lens and two good hearted eys are by far better and more important for taking really good pictures than two or even more lenses and two or "even more blind eyes".

A good picture of what or whom or where ever one can only "smell", "feel", "sense" or however one will call that - and it will be mostly generated inside Yourself. The camera and lens "just do the job then".

So in my opinion one should let your inner eye tell You THE LENS and maybe one for the contrast scenarios .... and that´s it.

.... and in our times, especially with nowadays FUJI the quality of lenses is out of discussion - the quality of taken pictures not at all .... and the digital age has not improved that a single millimeter ......

Apart from that I myself do love the digital cameras I used (Nikon, Canon, Hasselblad, Mamiya-Leaf and Fuji) but far more important was how close I could come to my lens to frame my subject/object properly for my goal - not if to take it with a Leica or a Hasselblad (the question of MF vs. FX vs. APS-C is here not to be addressed)

So I´d like to state: We all have to get our "inner eye" honestly close an "in artistic love" at least to ONE prime lens before we even think and experiment to much around with anything more - if not so, the quality of our work and/or joy won't develop anyhow! :huh:

Loving Fuji, the lenses, the sensor, the colors, the size, the weight and the fun, joy and perfection I feel with these great tools :D !!

Good Night

Wolfbastien

attached a pic (with just the banal 35/1.4 sooc on a sunday afternoon - just so .... and of course a bit cropped to square ;) )

Good evening! My first post. I have changed from Canon full frame DSLRs and some L glass to Fuji, due to age, arthritis and a degenerative neck condition. I trained as a photojournalist at University in Newport, Wales, reading a degree in Documentary Photography. My full outfit is A X-T1 with the 16mm F1.4 and an X-T10 with the 90mm F2. That's all I need for everything I shoot. I never change lenses out working, it's too risky. I have a grip on the X-T10 which improves the balance with the long lens. I totally reccommend both of these lenses, they are absolutely wonderful. I've struggled to adapt to the change but I am now feeling very confident that I have mastered my equipment. Great lenses.