Which 3 primes combo is your ideal setup?

xherion

It has taken me some time but I think I now have my ideal trio of primes which are the 14 / 23 /56 with my 18-135mm as back up.  I did have a 16 /35 / 60 set up as I predominantly shoot landscape but on the odd occasion I have wanted to do portrait work I wasn't happy with the 60mm OOF area and the autofocus speed.  The 16mm although very fast and WR, loses out to the 14 for angle of few and size and I rarely used the f1.4 for my landscape images.

As we all know, there is in fact no ideal set up  as our user needs are different but I think the 14/23/56 is a pretty versatile range and certainly suits me. :-)

• 1 month later...

I tried carrying three and kept on needing four often enough I decided to just carry four. The final ones I settled on are -

14, 23, 35, 56

I have found very few things I'm not happy getting with these for landscape, travelling, urban/street, casual portraiture. If I were going out to shoot wildlife, or sport, though, I would hire a long, fast, zoom and possibly 1.4x (or whatever that new tele booster is on Fuji).

This is one area Fuji has Sony flattened, I'm really struggling to find lenses I need which are actually available in their FF lineup (I'm looking at you, Zeiss Batis 25, 85, and 21mm Loxia). The 55 1.8 and that A7rii sensor, though, are truly, truly things of beauty.

I don't have a wide prime but I use the 10-24mm at 24mm almost always. might get a 16 or 23 in the future when my x100 dies and keep the 10-24mm as backup.

my other lens are the 35mm 1.4 and 56mm 1.2

I also have the original x100. so that works as my 23.

so 16 or 23/35/56 for me

• 3 weeks later...

I completed my trinity a few weeks ago. It's, well, awesome...

- 14mm f2.8

- 35mm f1.4

- 90mm f2

Primary camera is an X-E2, complemented by an X-A1. Now I'm looking how to use my X-A1 in the best possible way. I could just use it with the 14 specifically for landscape (where faster AF is not necessary). Or I could add an 18 or 27 and turn it into a fixed focal length high IQ compact, mimicking the soon-to-be X70 or X100 series.

I looked through my work from last year, using Lightroom to narrow down my lens use. The verdict:

42% 56mm (56 1.2 APD)

31% 23mm (X100T)

14% 16mm (16 1.4)

08% 33mm (X100T with TCL)

05% other (50-140 2.8 & film cameras)

So I'll stick to my 16, 23 & 56 for the time being. I like the new 35 f2 & 90 f2, but I won't buy one anytime soon... Maybe I'll consider the 120 2.8 macro once it's available.

Hmmm... having finally settled on my 3 lenses (16, 35, 56) plus ant X100t, I find GAS creeping in again. Should I sell my 35 1.4 for the faster-focussing weather-resistant 35 2? Or should I keep the extra stop of light? I'll keep reading the reviews...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I completed my trinity a few weeks ago. It's, well, awesome...

- 14mm f2.8

- 35mm f1.4

- 90mm f2

Primary camera is an X-E2, complemented by an X-A1. Now I'm looking how to use my X-A1 in the best possible way. I could just use it with the 14 specifically for landscape (where faster AF is not necessary). Or I could add an 18 or 27 and turn it into a fixed focal length high IQ compact, mimicking the soon-to-be X70 or X100 series.

those lenses make an epic kit.

I'm happy with the 18 F/2.0 at the wide end (landscapes are not really my thing), and I use the 35 F/1.4 as my go to lens. the next lens I get will be the 56 F/1.2 would make up my 3 lenses.

Since moving from Sony Alpha (E mount) to Fuji the 50mm is the lens i miss the most; however I could probably live with 2 primes either the 35 F/1.4 or the 27 F/2.8 + 56 F/1.2

I'm in the process of converting over to the Fuji X system from a Canon system. I went with the 

16 f1.4

35 f2

56 f1.2

On the Canon side I had the 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 35L and the 85L. Looking at what focal lengths I shot I had groupings around 24MM and not much longer than 85MM so I decided against the bigger Fuji Zooms and stick with a prime setup. I may add the 50-140 at some point if I'm missing the the longer focal lengths but I think I'll be ok. Can't wait for my X-Pro 2 to ship.

My three primes (even though I have the OUTSTANDING 18-55 and the 55-200 as well) would be the 16 1.4, the 23 1.4 and the 35 1.4.  I own these as well as the Zeiss 12mm 2/8 which I only use under rare circumstances.  But those three above do a magnificent job.

I also owned the 56 1.2 for about a week.  It was horribly slow at focusing if it focused at all during two christenings I was shooting back to back. The lighting was PERFECT inside the church.  Bright skylights over the altar, huge windows down the both sides.  Absolutely no reason why that 56 should not have focused on my X-T1.  I wound up switching out to th 35 1.4 and th 18-55 and it was smooth-sailing after that.

Over the last few days I've been considering giving the 56 1.2 a second chance.  I have a job coming up where I'll need a portrait lens so I might just get another copy and see.

Hope that helps.

J