Which 3 primes combo is your ideal setup?

xherion

That's why I feel that threads like these would be so much more informative if each member's selection included some information about the style of photography the selected lenses are being used for. This would allow me to filter the responses based on a similarity in style.

I'm not sure if an average across so many disparate styles would yield a useful general purpose selection.

Some of us include links to personal websites, blogs, flickr etc. in our signature line. It's a simple matter to click through and see the kind of work each of us does. I think it would be great if more members provided these links.

Some of us include links to personal websites, blogs, flickr etc. in our signature line. It's a simple matter to click through and see the kind of work each of us does. I think it would be great if more members provided these links.

I agree.

I don't have an online portfolio myself, but if I would contribute to a thread like this, I'd make sure to elaborate on my preference so anyone could match it to their own style.

I don't mean this to be confrontational or keep beating a dead horse, but to me personally, the three posts above yours contain no information whatsoever.

I don't mean this to be confrontational or keep beating a dead horse, but to me personally, the three posts above yours contain no information whatsoever.

I think you might be getting the impression that we're posting our ideal prime setup for your benefit?   The posts you're referring to that contain no information whatsoever all include the information that was requested by the person that started the thread.    Maybe you could start your own thread and ask for what you want?

I think you might be getting the impression that we're posting our ideal prime setup for your benefit? The posts you're referring to that contain no information whatsoever all include the information that was requested by the person that started the thread. Maybe you could start your own thread and ask for what you want?

I just wondered if anyone could clarify what information these threads provide to their respective OPs. If 100 anonymous people tell you their favorite car, then what is it that you have actually learned? The most you can deduce is which model is most popular among that particular group of respondents. But you don't know who they are and what they are looking for in a car, so that knowledge is entirely useless. Unless all respondents were to provide a bit of rationale behind their decision, which is what I suggested a few posts up.

So no, I do not think that these threads are created for my benefit. I just wanted to point out that they could actually be somewhat useful if people didn't just contribute to a pool of all permutations of 3 numbers from a fixed set.

Well, 3 lenses is a manageable number of lenses to carry around - one on the camera, two in the bag. And it's interesting to see which three people go for for an all-purpose kit. Me, I like the 16mm as my wide prime. I'm torn between the 23mm and the 35mm for standard, and I have the 56mm for telephoto. Probably the 35 is a good interval from the 16, whereas 23 might be better with the 14mm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just wondered if anyone could clarify what information these threads provide to their respective OPs. If 100 anonymous people tell you their favorite car, then what is it that you have actually learned? The most you can deduce is which model is most popular among that particular group of respondents. But you don't know who they are and what they are looking for in a car, so that knowledge is entirely useless. Unless all respondents were to provide a bit of rationale behind their decision, which is what I suggested a few posts up.

So no, I do not think that these threads are created for my benefit. I just wanted to point out that they could actually be somewhat useful if people didn't just contribute to a pool of all permutations of 3 numbers from a fixed set.

I get what you're saying but I just don't quite agree.   What it is really that you will learn with the additional information?   It's useless to me even if I do know how 100 people are using their 3 primes.   I'd hate to think I decided to buy 3 high quality fairly expensive primes because 38 people out of 100 chose the same lenses for street photography or travel.  

I get what you're saying but I just don't quite agree. What it is really that you will learn with the additional information? It's useless to me even if I do know how 100 people are using their 3 primes. I'd hate to think I decided to buy 3 high quality fairly expensive primes because 38 people out of 100 chose the same lenses for street photography or travel.

I was thinking more along the lines of:

12/2: for shooting landscapes because I found the 12-40 pro to heavy for multi-day hikes and am able to fit this and an E-M5 in a small day pack with room to spare for essentials. And since I generally shoot wide vistas, I don't miss the longer focal lengths of the zoom.

Something like this would definitely help me if I were considering purchasing this lens. Just "12/2", not so much.

Or:

45/1.8: considered the noctitron but for the price, found that the 45 offers enough subject separation when ensuring about xx feet to the background. For indoor use, the shallower DOF and additional light gathering ability of the noctitron may be beneficial.

Having used the 16mm a bit more now, I'm actually doing the opposite of what I said I thought I would and I'm sticking to the 14mm. The extra speed of the 16mm has been very useful, but the framing is just that touch too narrow for when I want a wide shot. Bear in mind I am mostly shooting indoors in dark and cramped conditions, where the extra 2mm can make a gigantic difference; when I'm reaching for a wide angle lens it's purely because I'm in too small a space for anything else to get everything in frame. So, the 16mm's been sold already. Width has to take priority over speed at that end of the focal range.

Using the T10 more—I think I'm using it more now than the T1—I've also thought more about balance and weight and have been adjusting my bag accordingly. In fact, I've sold everything bar three lenses. So, as of right now, my actual three lens kit is the 14m, 35mm and 56mm.
That said, the ideal kit for me would definitely be 14mm, 27mm and a 70mm all at f/2. The f/2.8 of the 14mm is only just fast enough for how I use that focal length, and for the middle focal length f/2.8 is definitely too slow; the 56mm is okay but I much prefer the 100-105mm (equivalent) focal length so a 70mm would be perfect.

• 2 weeks later...

Achievement unlocked - you completed your trinity of primes :D

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 19, 23, 29, 31, 37, 41, 43, 47, 53, 59, 61, 67, 71, 73, 79, 83, 89, 97

LOL.  That' pretty funny.  Hadn't considered that at all, as I was also confused when you said it was the only true prime.