Which 3 primes combo is your ideal setup?

xherion

Currently the 14-35-56 with the 35 being my main lens and will continue to be so.  I will replace the 56 when the 90mm arrives.

I know the 90mm is not as versatile but will come in handy as a short telephoto lens when needed and for travel it is WR.

18, 27, 60 when I'm cycling to work with some good opportunities for nature shots throughout the year. It all (including the T1) fits nicely into a ThinkTank Slim Changer and it's light enough that I can have it with me every day.

18, 35, 60 when I'm with the family, because I find the 35 much more useful for portraits than the 27.

Field of view wise, I'd actually like the 16 better than the 18, but the size is prohibitive to me. If Fuji will ever release a compact 16 f2 that focusses as close as the 18, then I'd certainly switch. 

I could also be quite happy with the 23 and the 60 only for many occasions, but the 28cm minimum focus distance of the 23 is just not enough for me. 

14 x 23 x 56 would be my ideal kit. It's actually what I'm aiming for...just need the 56 and it'll be complete.

edit - The nerd in me decided to tally up the choices so far. This is not 100% accurate, it's just for fun. I wanted to see what the majority decided on. Check it out.

14mm - 38

16mm - 39

18mm - 9

23mm - 42

27mm - 9

35mm - 40

56mm - 57

60mm - 6

90mm - 18

So far, the majority of the people chose 14mm&16mm (close), 23mm&35mm (another close one) and 56mm. Feel free to draw your own conclusions  :)

My conclusion: people like to go for fast lenses and often choose a good spread. Given the fact that the 16 is quite young and some people might choose the 14 because they already have it, it find it surprising the 16 actually beat the 14 by a small margin.

After years of buying and selling Nikon glass, here is where I wind up with my D800:

24mm 1.4G (a very unique lens combines wide angle with fast aperture. I use it where most would go for a 35)

58mm 1.4G (very controversial lens with beautiful transition from out of focus)

100mm 2 Makroplanar (extremely versatile Zeiss lens but manual focus)

If I had a Fuji system (actually I did, an X Pro1) it would be 16/35/56. Hence the reason for boring you with the Nikon stuff.

In either case, my 35mm would not be a lens at all, but a camera, the X100T.

Ideal setup for what? Sports? Architecture? Portraiture? Macro? Landscape? Street?

It seems kind of pointless to me to collect arbitrary permutations of 3 lenses without a clarification of their intended purpose.

That's why the title is "your ideal setup".  It's "your" ideal setup for what "you" shoot.  For each member it's different.

Our local nerd is just trying to fine the common favorites...

That's why the title is "your ideal setup". It's "your" ideal setup for what "you" shoot. For each member it's different.

That's why I feel that threads like these would be so much more informative if each member's selection included some information about the style of photography the selected lenses are being used for. This would allow me to filter the responses based on a similarity in style.

I'm not sure if an average across so many disparate styles would yield a useful general purpose selection.

That's why I feel that threads like these would be so much more informative if each member's selection included some information about the style of photography the selected lenses are being used for. This would allow me to filter the responses based on a similarity in style.

I'm not sure if an average across so many disparate styles would yield a useful general purpose selection.

I see what you were going for.  Sorry.  I thought you were talking about your own preferences.

It would be nice if folks chimed in with, "I mainly shoot __________, so I prefer ___, ___, ___".

From all the excellent Fuji Primes, if you can only carry 3 in your bag, which are they?

Pick 3 from choices below:

14, 16, 18, 23, 27, 35, 56, 60, 90mm

Mine is 14 / 35 / 56.

16, 27, 56 for me.    If only one it would be the 16, what a great lens!