Which 3 primes combo is your ideal setup?

xherion

Having now soured on a couple of lenses, and found a new appreciation for some others, I'm now thinking my ideal set up of primes would be:

18mm mk II

35mm f/1.4 mkII

a 70mm f/2

Given what lenses Fuji actually is likely to make, though, and what's available right now, I'm going to say:

23mm

35mm f/1.4

60mm

With the 60mm being replaced by the rumoured 80mm, when/if that happens.

• 2 weeks later...

16, 23, 35.   Owned the 56 and returned it.  Never owned the 14.  My "don't leave home without kit" is the 18-55 and the 16mm 1.4  Everything else, is built around those two.

Please note I don't do "street" shooting.  At all.  I hate people... LOL  I'm landscape, nature, travel for stock and personal.

Edited by jlmphotos

Having now soured on a couple of lenses, and found a new appreciation for some others, I'm now thinking my ideal set up of primes would be:

18mm mk II

35mm f/1.4 mkII

a 70mm f/2

Given what lenses Fuji actually is likely to make, though, and what's available right now, I'm going to say:

23mm

35mm f/1.4

60mm

With the 60mm being replaced by the rumoured 80mm, when/if that happens.

Ha. I was thinking some of the same thoughts. I was surprised someone else was hoping for a 70mm. :-)

Having to choose from existing lenses, even though I love the 16mm FOV, that lens is too large. The 56mm is not long enough and the 90mm is too long. Sigh...

18mm f/2

35mm f/1.4

90mm f/2

What I really want is:

16mm f/2 WR (wish)

35mm f/1.4 WR (wish) but will take the 35mm f/2 WR

70mm f/2 WR (wish)

That gives me equivalents of 24mm, 50mm, 105mm. Basically what I shot with since the 1970s.

Current lineup is the 23, 35, and 56.

My shooting subject matter is pretty varied but mostly portrait focused so those three focal lengths have served me well. I'd love to shoot the 90 but worry that I wouldn't use it enough being that the FOV isn't the most versatile.

I've been traveling a bit lately and renting the 10-24 a lot. I really do enjoy that lens as my preference when shooting wide (which is rare) is to go WIDE. Read great things about the samyang/Rokinon 12mm so that may find its way into my bag as an inexpensive alternative someday.

Edited by AshtonStan

18mm f/2 – I was going to buy this, until I tried one out and found its optical quality disappointing.

It looks like the problem is not optical, but the distortion correction software on camera for this lens:

http://lightpriority.net/2014/01/fuji-18mm-f2-r-review/

You may find interesting also the following discussion topics:

http://www.fuji-x-forum.com/topic/918-fuji-18mm-f2-thoughts/

http://www.fuji-x-forum.com/topic/2445-18mm-f2-your-experienceopinion-on-this-lens/page-2

Regarding this last link, take a look at post #21.

It looks like the problem is not optical, but the distortion correction software on camera for this lens

The distortion corrections are precisely due to the optical problems. The camera is having to manipulate the pixels to remove the distortion issue, a process which gets more extreme as you get to the corners. It's also boosting the gain in the corners to counteract the vignetting, which leads to noise.

I currently got the 18 f/2 and plan to add 35 f/2 & 56 f/1.2 (or wait for the 50 f/2).

Haven't decided. Never had more than a f/1.8 lens and f/1.2 sounds like a lot of fun but the 50 f/2 is probably half the price and half the size.

Edited by Hermelin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I could live with the 18mm and 35mm lenses only ... they are on my camera 90% of the time.

I mainly use the 16mm, 23mm, and 56mm, and I'm really happy with it. For jobs (especially weddings), I'd prefer this combo for the spread.

For personal stuff, though, and everyday carry, I could totally live with 18mm and 35mm. Super versatile and compact combo.

• 5 months later...