Which 3 primes combo is your ideal setup?

xherion

I have the 14mm f/2.8 and the 56 f/1.2.

I want an XF 28 f/2.0 WR. Optically like the 14 (no distortion, sharp over the frame stopped down) with an aperture ring. A true normal FL (FL = image circle). I find 23 too wide or night wide enough and 35 too tight much of the time.

• 1 month later...

For me it would depend on my goals:

For general purpose I would say 16 or 18, 35 and 90

But I could imagine using a 14/18/23, 16/23/60, 23/35/56..... (whatever combination is posted in this thread) could also make sense

I would love to have a 27mm F/1.8 WR available if I could only take one lens.

For me there are two primes that are a "must have" in and prime combo.

That's the 23mm and 56mm

Other than that, it depends on what I want to shoot.  If I'm shooting portraits then:

23mm (for environmental style portraits)

56mm (for "normal" portraits - upper body, full body sort of things)

90mm (for tighter shots, focusing on the head etc. the 90mm is a great lens)

Also the 90mm might be in there if I thought I was going to need a telephoto.  But I think I'd rather bring the 50-140 or 100-400 depending on what I was shooting.

If I were looking for a normal 3 prime lens combo, it would be either:

14, 23, 56

or

16, 23, 56

Though most likely I'll be going:

12mm (Samyang), 23mm and 56mm

I am super tempted by the 16mm because of how so many people rave about it.  But, for me, 16mm is a bit close to 23mm.  So most likely I'd go for the 14mm as when I go wide I want to go as wide as possible.  I do like the 16mm fov though (24mm on full frame) but tested the difference between 16mm and 23mm on my 16-55 and it wasn't different enough for me.  To get the same framing I just need to step back one step and lean back a little (using 23mm).  That's not enough of a difference in FOV to justify owning both a 16mm and 23mm (for me).  I know the 16mm will focus very close and is really sharp though, which keeps me tempted.

Realistically I'd have to go with my brain over my heart though and get a 14mm (now it's cheaper than it used to be) or a 12mm samyang.  Right now I can't afford either, so I'm in research mode, maybe I'll just buy a 10-24, who knows.

Edited by Stealthy Ninja

Bought my X-Pro2 with the 23mm f/1.4 and the 35mm f/2. Both excellent. Needed something wider so just ordered the 16mm f/1.4. Other FLs (teles) are already in my Canon bag so thats all I need. Whether or not its all I'll buy... :)

Edited by Mark Corpe

It used to be 18/35/60, or if you prefer 28 (sometimes 24) /50/90.

But in the end I never bother carrying the intermediate focal length.

So nowadays is usually 28(or 24mm) eq. + 85(or 90, or 100mm) eq., and only if I already now that I'm gonna need it (open landscapes, mountaintops and stuff like that) I bring a 300(or a 100-300) as well.

Great thread. I find it very interesting and educational to read about all your personal preferences as to prime lenses and the reasons behind.

I currently own the 16, 27 and 35 Fuji primes, the 18-135 zoom and an old Russian MF 58mm lens. I like all my Fuji's; haven't tested the rusky yet. Currently eyeing the 90mm.

This is how I use my lenses nowadays:

Street: 16 & 27

Landscape / outdoor: 16 & 18-135

Indoor: 16 & 35

Travel: 16, 27 & 18-135

Protests and other crowds: 35 & 18-135

This said, if I had to choose only three primes and no zoom, I would choose: 16, 27 & 90. Given my photographic interests, those three lenses would cover most of my needs.

Edited by _rafa.ortiz