Very disappointed with X-Pro and battery life (and low battery notification)

!!?? What camera?

I just did an outdoor shoot with the X-Pro2. I had the camera set to high performance mode and EVF. Here and there I take a quick look at a shot I took, but for the most part, I just shoot. 2 full batteries (both new Fuji brand) managed just under 400 shots. 

X Pro 2 :)

2016-07-09_17-50-47.jpg

Edited by jhjl

Photographed the final show of the tango tour last night and again got >3000 images using 2 batteries, changing battery and memory cards during the interval. According to my charger, battery 1 had 70% charge left and battery 2 had 60% left.

I shot mainly using the OVF with minimal chimping. I did occasionally use the EVF to check framing and to make auto eye detection easier to use. The back LCD was switched off. The camera was set to  1/125s at f2.8 auto ISO12800, centre weighted metering, RAW only. I occasionally used the front dial to tweak the shutter speed higher if ISO was lower than 6400 or lower if the scene was particularly dark. I was using the electronic shutter so that the camera was silent - this does make it hard to know when you have taken an image, especially in 8fps burst mode, but it makes in theatre shooting more audience friendly!

I suspect the high number of frames for the amount of battery was due to me shooting at 8fps for 6 out of the 35 dances. I also manually shot rapidly when in single shot mode when the sequence demanded it...

I am hopefully shooting some lavender fields and meadows tomorrow, so different shooting conditions, setup, and style required. It will be interesting to see how the battery performs.

Edited by jhjl

My Pro1 does the same, looks like it's not improved much on the Pro2 then! 

Steve V

in high performance mode, my XP1 does about 300 shots

in standard mode, my XP2 managed about 370

The XP2 in standard mode is working a LOT harder than the XP2 in high perf. mode, so that's a reasonable improvement IMO

(if you can live with slower AF and massive OVF shutter lag, then the XP1 in power save mode, easily does over 500 shots)

My figures are for raw + jpeg fine, so when I say '500' I mean I came home with 1000 files (RAW + Jpeg) total

On the one hand I'm not one for chimping and leaving my camera on the whole time, but on the other hand, I'm not one for religiously never using my camera in a way that makes it draw lots of power either.

• 3 weeks later...

Seeing some battery modding posts here - I am seriously thinking of making / commissioning a nice LARGE add on grip that will hold a (USB lead charged) battery pack / power bank that I can connect to cameras via a 

Fuji CP-W126.

I like doing mods + even bought some Eneloops with specially soldered on tabs to make bespoke 1D (MkIIN) battery packs ... as self-discharging Ni-Cd or older Ni-MH batteries are truly rubbish when you are used to the LSD design of Eneloops and similar technology. 

Seeing that, even with excellent PhotMadd (Arca Swiss type) L-Type bracket with larger hand grip on my X-E2 ... the 'grip' part is still WAY too small for me. Ironically this 'grip' part is detachable with allen bolts + therefore they COULD make ones that are bigger (for people with bigger hands + who are way more comfortable holding a Canon 60/70/80D without any added grip (or even 1D series).

Seeing some battery modding posts here - I am seriously thinking of making / commissioning a nice LARGE add on grip that will hold a (USB lead charged) battery pack / power bank that I can connect to cameras via a 

Fuji CP-W126.

I like doing mods + even bought some Eneloops with specially soldered on tabs to make bespoke 1D (MkIIN) battery packs ... as self-discharging Ni-Cd or older Ni-MH batteries are truly rubbish when you are used to the LSD design of Eneloops and similar technology. 

Seeing that, even with excellent PhotMadd (Arca Swiss type) L-Type bracket with larger hand grip on my X-E2 ... the 'grip' part is still WAY too small for me. Ironically this 'grip' part is detachable with allen bolts + therefore they COULD make ones that are bigger (for people with bigger hands + who are way more comfortable holding a Canon 60/70/80D without any added grip (or even 1D series).

I can't help after reading your post but think, the whole idea of the xpro2 platform is a compact rangefinder style camera. Light weight and "nifty" if I may.

For what you want to achieve, perhaps the x-t2 + battery grip may be good without any mods. It does seem that you'd prefer a good size dslr more than a mirror less.

I'm just curious. No offence intended.

I can't help after reading your post but think, the whole idea of the xpro2 platform is a compact rangefinder style camera. Light weight and "nifty" if I may.

Wasn't that supposed to be one of the principal benefits of the mirrorless revolution? Yet it seems that everyone and their brother are itching and yearning to bulk up their light weight and nifty camera bodies with a big honking grip. Go figure.

• 3 weeks later...

I did about 800+ shots (raw+jpeg) with 1 battery change for a whole day. 2nd battery was at 70% capacity at the end of the day. Preview was off (default setting), toggle between evf and live view half the time. 30% of the time on Samyang 12mm manual focus. Other times, the 23mm or 60mm macro. Camera runs cool.

Fortunately, the battery change didn't cause me to lose any moments. Under similar circumstances, I'd probably have to do at least one battery change on my dslr too.

So far, I'm pretty happy with the battery performance.

Wow....how long do you take to compose one shot?

No one can compare with my bro. He can take an hour to compose one shot....... He complains that the battery for his D7000 doesn't take enough shots! :lol:

I don't think NR is your problem.  Are you using the rear LCD constantly?  How long before camera goes to sleep mode?  Do you leave it on all the time?  If you are wearing the camera on a strap, and the camera is ON, and you have the eyepiece set to show on the rear LCD when the camera is not to your eye, then the LCD is basically on ALL the time.  I've caught myself doing that a few times, and that will definitely wear the battery down quickly.  You may want to check all your options.  I honestly don't believe it's NR causing this.  I have NR on all the time, and I get 250-300 images per battery easy.  But I don't use the rear LCD, nor do I chimp each image either.