X-E2 NEEDS a new update and here's why:

• 3 weeks later...

Don't think so!!! From the beginning Fuji also added the option to set the right focal length of adapted lenses! So let them make it complete!

I think the likelihood of this update is SO remote, and really near useless in terms of its need. Why do you even need to know the aperture after the fact? Will knowing the aperture really make any difference to the photo after it's created? Why would you want to have to change two settings just to shoot? Why would Fuji want the complaints from inexperienced users who can't understand why when they change the setting the lens doesn't change? Why would Fuji even want to further promote the use of other manufacturer lenses?

I'm sure it seems like a great idea to you, and it might be marginally useful to some, but it has too little benefit for the cost and potential other issues to even be considered.

Obviously you're one of them!

I wonder why no one here understands the meaning of the word "option"!!!

Oh, yes, I'm obviously an inexperienced user, a successful full time professional photographer with over 10 Fuji bodies.

You seriously can't see a situation where a new user tries to (quite rationally) change the aperture on their attached manual lens by adjusting it on the camera? The entire implementation is a nightmare - every time you adjust the aperture on the lens you'd need to access the menu just to change the info or the information captured would be inaccurate. All for something of marginal real value to 99% of photographers.

You are welcome to consider all the firmware changes you wish - all I'm saying is that such a change is unlikely because:

1. It is of extremely limited value

2. It would be desired by a fraction of the total user population

3. The implementation would be flawed due to the need to manually change the menu setting for EVERY aperture change

4. The option would leave open the possibility of misunderstanding for new or inexperienced users

5. The only real benefit is for users who are NOT buying Fuji lenses (ie. The group of users that Fuji is least likely to prioritise).

Just keep a notation of your settings and apply them on import if it's that important to you.

every time you adjust the aperture on the lens you'd need to access the menu just to change the info or the information captured would be inaccurate.

... e.g. with the command dial. It is useless when old lenses are attached ...

...and f/0 is also inaccurate!

By the way you need to use the dial on XC lenses/XF27 too.

And by the way this should not cause any discussion here. I just wanted to share my wishes for an update!

...and not discuss with 10-body-owning-boasters that doesn't know that the aperture is one of the most important things for creativity in photography!!! So it is definitely important to know... to recreate a similar shot, to inspire others, to know where the lens has its nicest bokeh...

Nearly every lens test/lens sample images shared on the internet display the used aperture (in the description)! You may wonder why but I know!

Anyway, amateur or not, we are all members of this community.

You made your point clear and who knows, maybe Fuji is listening, or maybe not!

This, to member Kwyiibo vd Kamp, so important “ improvement”, the possibility to be able to add ( shot for shot because adapted lens and camera don’t and can’t and will never be able to communicate these things to the camera) the aperture value is and will probably stay in the world of fantasy ever after.

Since, conceivably, one would have to do this manually ( because there is no way to make all adapter's makers to reach a license agreement involving electric contacts with Fuji who, and rightly so, probably isn’t very charmed by the use of adapted lenses in the first place) why don’t you simply write it down ( probably faster than doing this one by one for each shot) and then add it to the “ info” if you really think it is needed?

Now, getting back from the world of fantasy to the world of reality.

Why would the the XE-2 need an update ( the title of the thread)?

Every time I see shutter speed and aperture values next to a photo I immediately think amateur.  Camera Club-ish.

I don't agree. It's great when a professional publish EXIF data so amateurs could learn what settings they should choose in different situations to achieve the best results.

Topic-wise. IMO the only camera that deserves X-T1-like FW update is X100T. Sorry X-E2 users. I'm an X100S user so I am off the boat too. X-E2 can get moderate update with little features that are easy to implement and don't require much hardware resources (I expect X-E2 is already near it's hardware limits). Even the Kaizen has it's limits. BTW if X100T will really get zone AF system I'll upgrade from S to T.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I think the likelihood of this update is SO remote, and really near useless in terms of its need. Why do you even need to know the aperture after the fact? Will knowing the aperture really make any difference to the photo after it's created? Why would you want to have to change two settings just to shoot? Why would Fuji want the complaints from inexperienced users who can't understand why when they change the setting the lens doesn't change? Why would Fuji even want to further promote the use of other manufacturer lenses?

I'm sure it seems like a great idea to you, and it might be marginally useful to some, but it has too little benefit for the cost and potential other issues to even be considered.

Well, it's not necessary to rain on his parade...

It's nice to be able to record the correct aperture in the EXIF data, just as Fuji allows you to set the focal length of the lens. People post photos on Flickr, photography web sites, etc. and people often ask what aperture the shot was taken at, because the EXIF data reports F/0 or something like that.

I agree that it could easily cause confusion for some users. But there's no reason to argue with him about whether its useless or not, it's just something he'd like. It's obviously useless to you, but not to some.

Since, conceivably, one would have to do this manually ( because there is no way to make all adapter's makers to reach a license agreement involving electric contacts with Fuji who, and rightly so, probably isn’t very charmed by the use of adapted lenses in the first place) why don’t you simply write it down ( probably faster than doing this one by one for each shot) and then add it to the “ info” if you really think it is needed?

Now, getting back from the world of fantasy to the world of reality.

Why would the the XE-2 need an update ( the title of the thread)?

His theoretical implementation would be fastest, you'd just spin the camera dial to adjust the 'dummy' aperture whenever you adjusted the physical aperture on the lens. But no matter, you're right it's not something we'll actually see. I just don't understand why people are so insistent on telling him that it's such a HORRIBLE idea. Like you said, it's a community. I think it's a good idea, just not a practical one (I'd also probably forget to adjust the dummy value most of the time, and end up with incorrect EXIF info anyway!!)

I would be 100% happy with whatever the X-E2 hardware actually allows. People have said much of the relevant 'guts' of the X-E2 are the same as the X-T1 and X-T10, which would mean that all of AF improvements and electronic shutter might be theoretically possible. If that's the case, that's what I want to see since the X-E2 is technically a current model. The possible future X-E3 will have its own hardware improvements that will set it apart anyway (as part of the X-Pro2 generation.)

If it turns out that there are significant differences in the X-E2 hardware from the X-T1/XT10 and none of the improvements are possible, then no hard feelings whatsoever.

the  public’s response against fuji not upgrading the X-E2 was the most unexpected by-product of the Kaizen Marketing and the time is taking to show any real Kaizen-E-2 ( the Windows 10 upgrade doesn’t count) shows how surprised they have been by this.

Come December we will know what Fuji-Santa has for the X-E2.

As for now, nobody knows.

Honestly, I wonder if most of the general public (who uses or is interested in Fuji X system) really knows or has a strong opinion about Fuji kaizen and the X-E2 anyway.

For example, the biggest Fuij sh--storm was the X100 SAB issue, and probably majority of X100 owners never knew about it, even if there was a sizable number of X100 owners/followers discussing it on the internet.

I think Fuji generally wants to firmware-improve its cameras when possible, AND as resources permit. So new camera development will always take precedence (seems reasonable since they need to sell cameras to stay in business!), and now just happens to be the time that Fuji has some resources to put towards developing a new X-E2 firmware.

I don’t think that all the people who use any product are necessarily on line and are fora members but, the difference with say saxophones ( my other hobby as you can tell by my avatar) is that since the Fuji cameras require you to have internet and use it to profit of any firmware update and you cannot use any digital camera without using a computer, the chances that all the Fuji owners will be aware of what’s going on are very high indeed.

But on this forum there are many threads dedicated to the X-E2 update or the lack of it.

Although I cannot say for certain that all the X-E2 users are aware of this I think that we can safely assume that the great majority, for the reasons given above, are.

Some probably are happy with their cameras the way they are and keep using them as they’ve always done with or without upgrade. Some others wait in hope. 

But there is a percentage among the XE2 owners ( but I am not sure of how big or significant that percentage is)  who certainly have experienced this lack  or postposition of kaizen as unpleasant to say the least.

After some vague assurances that some form of Kaizen will descend upon the X-E2 owners ( and in the meantime the X-E2 cameras, at least so I am told by the people in the shops, are practically no longer selling because people aren’t sure whether they are buying yesteryear product at the same price of the X-T10 which, on the contrary has all the new features already and will get even more in future) by Christmas, the lynching party seems to have found some reason to not roam the internet.

Yet we all have to accept the fact that any camera will lose touch with the most modern of the software. It doesn’t mean that you can no longer use the camera! It will, as long as it work, still perform at the level it was made to perform at and my guess is that it way exceeds the ability of most of us already!

It is exactly like the computers that we need to use these cameras.

I have an old Emac 16”  with a G4 processor , its about 12 years old or thereabouts.

Its Os cannot be updated anymore and although it can still go on the internet it would be unwise to do so. Yet it still works and does almost all the things that it did at the time

I use it to reproduce music with which I playalong with my saxophone.

It also operates an old Agfa scanner ( which is by the way also obsolete and disappeared from the market) which can scan up to 8" x 10" transparencies ( I still have an archive of large format negatives and transparencies) just in case I might need it.

A few days ago there was someone ranting on his blog about cameras not lasting long enough these days they do, they are not up to date, but if you don’t care why should this bother you?

• 2 weeks later...

I think that next week's update will be of a minor strictly technical nature to make the bodies suitable to the lenses to come ( especially the 35 which is already being shipped to beta testers) for all the cameras of the system and since it hasn’t been preceded by a rain of rumors it will be unlikely to be the promised one where the AF functions of the X-E2 might be updated, so, don’t be disappointed, yet, save that for Xmas when under the tre you might find what you are looking for or not.