Another X-Pro2 Viewfinder Complaint

I went to an outdoor local carshow yesterday morning with the X-Pro2 and I had significant trouble seeing the viewfinder when under direct sun. I am right-eye dominant and do not wear glasses, but like the other gentleman who fashioned his own eyecup, I also feel like I just can't always get my eye close enough to block out stray light. I did find that the EVF was brighter and more easy to use than OVF, because the EVF guidlines and information readout is significantly brighter than the OVF. Fine, but still, I am a little surprised that I've only read a couple of similar complaints. What's a good way to counter this when shade is not available? Do you guys fiddle with the EVF brightness settings? I'm worried that changing that would throw off my interpretations of available light. I don't think i need anything exotic from Fuji, maybe just a finder cup that is the same exact shape and size, but slightly deeper. I am tempted to make my own from Sugru or a Nikon cup, but seeing that I'd have to send my camera to have them to replace the finder cup if I ruin mine, I'm not eager to jump into a DIY project. I figured that by telling you guys about this issue would help raise awareness to Fuji that some alternative options would be appreciated. Thoughts?

Edited by abonhamc

I agree it would be nice to have a deep cup on the VF. The other thing that I notice, although it could just be my copy, is that the auto-brightness on the evf is quite dim relative to just using the manual 0 setting, even with preview exposure set to on.

I have a complaint...the rubber ring on my eye cup fell off. Called Fuji and they sai that parts could send me the piece. They would call me. Never called so I called them and they reprimanded me and said that that is NOT something they would send me...I have to send it in for repair. Why did the first guy say it was not a problem to get me that part. So need to send the camera in for a flaw that should be fixed immediately. The forums have said many people have had this problem. My answer was to for now make my own eye cup with a rubber dowel and gaffer tape. It worked...

Sharon

• 3 weeks later...

After living with the XT-1 EVF and loving it, I have been quite dissapointed with the EVF on the Pro-2. The AUTO setting is a joke and I find myself constantly adjusting the viewfinder brightness. It tends towards the blue side also. I sure do hope a fix is coming. I am going to try the suggestions of the OP. No sir you are not alone. I have also found that making a little "cave" with my left hand over the viewfinder works pretty well for improving it's visibility in bright sun. I've been using the camera for 5 weeks now professionally and it hasn't let me down. It has acted like a mid 70's British motorcar by being flaky at times, but regardless the images are beautiful.

Edited by zenmartini

• 3 weeks later...

I loved the viewfinder on my X-T1 and when I moved to the XPro2, I was very VERY disappointed with the viewfinder. I'm EVF only, but the lack of shade from the (non-existant) eyecup, and the bad eye relief have me listing it for sale on Amazon to fund an X-T2. I love the styling and design, but for me it's just so frustrating to use that I have to get rid of it. Other than that, it's an amazing camera, so I feel really lame giving it up, but I find myself annoyed pretty much every time I pick it up.