Thinking about the 16mm 1.4 for the X-T5...not on the "list"

MARRIEDGUY9

I bought the kit with the 16-80 and I freaked out when the lens did not appear on their "optimized" list for the improved sensor.  I was upset because, if I would have known about the "list" when I purchased the camera, I would've purchased the camera with the 18-55, which is on the list........ugggghh!  Now I'm looking at the 16mm 1.4 for the brightness, sharpness, astrophotography, etc. and I've read sooooooo many great reviews on the quality of this lens for the Fuji system.  But this lens is not on the list either.  I called Fuji and they told me that the vast majority of lenses that are not on the list take advantage of new sensor at 99%, but because they weren't at 100%, they couldn't be on the list........but would still perform very well.  He could not provide data on the 16mm 1.4.  I was wondering if any of you have the 16mm 1.4 on the X-T5 and have an opinion on its performance.  I am still looking to buy the lens and I'm trying not to let the list or my purchase get me down........because, before I heard about the list, I've been EXTREMELY  happy with the camera and the images I've been able to take.

The 16mm 1.4 is AMAZING!  I've owned it since 2015 when I used it on my XT1, and still use it on my XH1.  IMHO it is one of Fuji's BEST lenses period - together with the 80mm.

I have images taken with this lens hanging in Boston at the Children's Hospital there.  VERY large prints.  

I shoot with the XT5 and the 16mm, having brought the lens with me from my previous XT2. The lens is truly excellent - fast and sharp to the edges. The manual focus clutch is a nice touch too (although in fairness, not absolutely necessary). I shoot mostly after-dark and landscape shots and this lens spends more time on the body than any of my others. I don’t think you’d would be disappointed with it

Don't own and haven't used the 16mm.  But I wouldn't take to much stock in "the list".  The only two I have on it are the 33f1.4 and 23f2 and they do produce sharp images.  I also have the 10-24, 16-80, 55-200 and they are excellent lens as well.  Also, while the 18mm1.4 prime is on there, the 18-55 is not and most people find the 16-80 to have equal or better detail than the 18-55.  Its usually safe to assume that a compact zoom is going to have slightly lower IQ at the same focal length as a prime.  I haven't seen anything the disrupts that simplification.  For me the bulky zooms, 16-55 and 50-140 don't fit the form factor I am after and I'm not going to lug them around so I don't have them.  The compact zooms fulfill a need when you know you will be shooting with a variety of focal lengths or simply don't know what to prepare for and don't want to be constantly swapping lenses.  In my case, the 10-24 is the most extreme example.  If I pixel peep, its not that impressive.  But shoot a beautiful wide scene at 10 to 12mm and it can provide an awesome shot you wouldn't get with a more general purpose lens.  Maybe find a used f2 lens with the 18-55 range that suits you and play around with it.  You will see what I am referring too.  Picking a lens is always a compromise. 

I owned the 16f1.4 in the absence of a decent 18mm (e.g. 28mm equivalent). As soon as the 18f1.4 came out I traded the 16 in for it. Unless you are desperate for the 24mm equiv fov I can highly recommend the 18f1.4 - quite possibly the best lens in the XF mount line up and one of the lenses on the support list for the X-T5/X-H2?

On the other hand, how often do you care about the corners of a photograph? If you print or display the work, no one will ever notice that a lens is only 99% good enough.

LouisB

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...