I am considering purchasing this camera before the remaining ones disappear, but am in a quandary as to whether it would be a good choice.

I have an X100S, and X-T1 with 16/1.4, 56/1.2, and 90/2, and usually carry both cameras whilst hiking and going on outings.  I think the X30 will be more versatile for the most part, but am not willing to sacrifice IQ.  I will be using it outdoors, so a max ISO of 800 (or 1600) should be more than enough.

I have done a lot of research and read many reviews, but cannot actually demo one, or even speak directly with someone who has this camera.  Hopefully folks will respond and offer direction and suggestions.

Thanks!

I am planning to buy an X30 to take to France in September, along with my trusty X20. I am a documentary photographer who likes to carry a lightweight kit, and have been very happy with the X20, which has essentially the exact same image quality as its successor, the X30. The X30 is not the best camera for image quality that you can get, but then neither was the Leica when it was taken up by Henri Cartier-Bresson in the early 1930s.

My own work is in many museum, corporate, and private collections, as well as several books, and I love these little cameras and the image quality they provide. To see examples of my Fuji X20 - and before that X10 - work, go to my web site  (<http://www.rpkphoto.smugmug.com>); check out "Singular Images: Recent and Rediscovered Photographs" in the Galleries section, and "Searching For Edward Hopper" in the Books folder. With a couple of minor exceptions, all images there dated 2012 or later were taken with X10 or X20 Fuji cameras. 

I would recommend the X30 without hesitation. In my view it's small size and excellent lens make it a sound alternative to the larger, heavier interchangeable lens Fuji X models, lovely as they are.

Edited by rpkphoto

Thanks very much for your comments, Rodger -- just what I was hoping for!  Your photos are marvellous, and if this is what the X30 can do for me, I will be very happy.

It won't replace my X-T1 and excellent lenses, but will offer a much more compact and convenient system.

Wondering about noise at higher ISO, though.  You use it to good effect, but would you recommend keeping it at 800 or less?

Merlin, I think we're talking to one another on a couple of threads. Thanks for the compliment on my work.

Yes, noise is a problem with these smaller sensors. I use an application from Macphun, Noiseless Pro. It helps a little. But mostly, when possible I lower the density of areas with excessive noise to where it doesn't show. I don't usually mind darker shadow areas in my photos, as I printed Cibachromes for many years, and my Fuji digital images are a significant improvement over the old prints-from-slides Cibachrome process.

Your X-T1 will give you quite a bit better results with noise than the X20/X30.

Edited by rpkphoto