Capture One and X-pro2, no lens correction possible (raw files)

Hello dear fellow Fuji-x community,

I'm a happy X-pro2 user, that's no doubt. Unfortunately I would like to refer a problem I have with capture one. After about 2 months of shared mailed with the customer service of C1, it appears that the raw files lens distortions of the X-pro2 can't be corrected for now. I also have to state that in the meantime they released 2 updates (9.1.2 and 9.2).
Until now they stated that the problem was more complicated than expected and requested my patience.

Somebody has the same problem I have ? to be honest I doubt it's a difficult problem to solve, and I begin to be very upset with the C1 company (I can't recommend the customer service, if someone is interested I can post the mail exchange I had).

Thank you for reading,
Quentin

Hi Quentin,

Sorry about your frustration and I cannot alleviate it.

However for your better understanding the release notes for C1 v9.2 clearly state the limitations on processing and exporting Fuji x trans raw files (these limitations have been mentioned in all the release notes since v8) You will find these on p11 and p23 in the table.

They should get around to finding a solution for the Xpro 2 raw files as they have done for other Fuji cameras - perhaps in version 9.2x or 9.3? But probably with the same limitations.

So the bottom line is either you stay with C1 and live with the limitations, which is my choice, or change your software, which will be less painful if you're on a trial version and have other drawbacks.

I doubt if this helps but have a nice day anyway.

Jeremy

Honestly, with Fuji, forget Capture One. It's a great program with Leaf/Mamiya products. It's great with Sony. It's pretty good with Nikon and Canon, as far as tethering goes, but it's no better for their raw files than any other program. For Fuji it's downright atrocious. Shaky raw support. No tether support. The standard controls aren't well suited to non-bayer files.

There's honestly, honestly no reason to use Capture One if you shoot Fuji. There just isn't. At best it's a little behind Lightroom, and it's not like Lightroom is particularly great, either. For every other brand, Capture One is nice. Not Fuji.

Really? Did you give it a real try. Capture One is maybe not the most intuitive program out there but it is a great raw converter once you get to know it. The catalog stuff is very basic but the colour adjustments and sharpening is better than Lichtroom.

Edited by mqaa

its far far better than lightroom (for me) I find it far easier to customise.

It is probably the quickest, to get the look I want for me also.  Their support is amazing and webinars are great.

I love the processing features, but I'm getting severely disappointed with their ongoing lack of support for the X70. There has been update after update after update for 9.1 and the X70 just keeps getting ignored. What irks me most is that they can just reuse any of the other X-Trans II profiles; if you change the model in the EXIF info X-T1 for example, the images load fine. 

I greatly prefer Capture One for Fuji files. Lightroom is too slow and lacks customization. Also, Capture's color tools are far superior. They have had initial support of the X-pro2 for a while now. I am betting full support is coming in the next month or so.

Hi Quentin,

Sorry about your frustration and I cannot alleviate it.

However for your better understanding the release notes for C1 v9.2 clearly state the limitations on processing and exporting Fuji x trans raw files (these limitations have been mentioned in all the release notes since v8) You will find these on p11 and p23 in the table.

They should get around to finding a solution for the Xpro 2 raw files as they have done for other Fuji cameras - perhaps in version 9.2x or 9.3? But probably with the same limitations.

So the bottom line is either you stay with C1 and live with the limitations, which is my choice, or change your software, which will be less painful if you're on a trial version and have other drawbacks.

I doubt if this helps but have a nice day anyway.

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

Do you have any tips about how to correct distortion from a lens like the XF35 f/2 in Capture One? All the options in Lens Corrections are greyed out for X-Pro2 files. Would you manually transform the image in Photoshop, or are there other ways to get around this issue while we wait for full support from Phase One?

Edited by binotto

Well not all F-X-F members are X-PRO2 users. You can consider C1 not supporting X-Trans III. But it's still great for older cameras. Even though it lacks Film Simulations, you can find sample icc profiles on the forum. I've corrected them a bit for my taste and have totally abandoned LR. C1 processes RAFs sharper. C1 is far more customizable, has far more advanced color tools. 

Really? Did you give it a real try. 

I use it for all of my studio product and formal portrait work. My typical studio set up is a Canon 1Ds mkIII or a Mamiya/Leaf Credo 50 tethered into Capture One. I know the software very well. With those systems, it works great. I would never dream of using the Mamiya any other day.

With Fuji, I've given it a try with the Pro1, T1, and T10, and it's sucked with all of them. Nothing about it works better than Lightroom and several things work worse than Lightroom/don't work at all; and like I said, it's not like I hold Lightroom in high regard, either. I don't yet own a Pro2 (and doubt I ever will as I'm planning on buying a couple of T2s), but given how little the program supports the X-Trans III files, I'm not counting on Capture One becoming my go-to for those new cameras, either.

I has tríed LR5, C1, Photo Ninja, Camera Raw and Iridient. No one is perfect for no one raw. Each one has advantages and inconvenients. But on average C1 for me is the best: quick, great colour and sarphening, good catalog, ... But is less intuitive, consum time to understand it, and it is clearly worse to share in network and others programs. I would like lens corrections for my Fuji's raws and more issues but I am highly satisfied.

Hello All,

the Japanese software SilkyPix is the best software for Fuji. Please try it. www.silkypix.eu  I use SilkyPix Developer Pro 7EEU, you can a discount with the purchase a Fuji camera. just have to use the Fuji camera SN.

After developing the RAW files i export it to LR for further minor processing like retouching and cataloging

Can't say that capture one is bad, especially with the xt1 where I use it. It still has better microcontrast than LR, better color management than photo ninja.  

Only LR is (very) slowly closing the gap in raw conversion for xtrans, and C1 might loose against the PS, LR combination that costs the same.

Thanks but I'll stick with LR.  As some of you who've read my posts I shoot travel and landscape.  I find that Lightroom, 99% of the time, does me good!  Honest. I use Pete Bridgewoods sharpening methodology which you'll find on his blog - and which I started using I guess two years ago when it first appeared and I couldn't be happier.  As a matter of fact, it's a preset upon my importing into LR.  

I also have Silkypix, and Iridient Developer and these two also work wonders.  They are both amazing, but they do take me out of LR even though they are setup to "right click, edit in"  

I've tried C1 and find it too confusing and I don't have the time to learn another piece of software.  I've also tried Affinity back when it was free and it was ok but I really didn't put it through it's paces as I should have.  

I will say, that even though I'm a LR believer, if Adobe EVER switches to a total subscription based version I'm out.  I'll find something else such as photo mechanic, and ON1 Raw or something.  But I will never, ever, ever pay Adobe a monthly fee as I, quite frankly, despise that company.  Right now, using LR is to MY benefit; so I'll just keep tooling along.

Hope that helps.

I am astounded by the negativity for C1 here.

For me it has been an amazing program, I trialed it 1.5 years ago when all the talk about how LR was not working well with X-Trans was going on and I moved as I just prefered the interface and how it handled the RAW's from my X-T1.

I think its really very good for Fuji. Granted some features are disabled due to Fuji not using Bayer like auto mask and focus masking etc. But that is true in LR. Lens correction it should also be pointed out is only an issue for some Fuji lenses. A lot of the primes natively have no aberation or in fact so little that in most cases it is a non issue. 

So really in the grand scheme of things I love Capture1, but everyone is different. I think the general consensus is that the best RAW converters are Iridient, C1 and Photo Ninja Iridient is currently MAC only although I think it is coming to PC eventually, and along with photo ninja has no catalgue features. So for me C1 is the best compromize giving me a single workflow solution (for my needs) and very good RAW conversion.

Everyone is different, but have a look at my gallery with the 90mm on this forum all those photo's were processed in C1

Bonjour Tous,

Lots of discourse here....

First of all a quick reply to Binotto - I only use C1 (v.8) so cannot help with Photoshop. As for lens correction, I believe it is done via the data in the Raw file, which records the lens used. (Although I stand to be corrected here)

I agree with Ric.Gyan that there are several choices and none are perfect (if there was a perfect solution we wouldn't be posting on forums :-) So I suggest people try out as many software solutions as possible (whatever camera they use) and for this the trial periods offered are useful. If the image processing is bottom line there are other aspects like workflow, cataloging, key words, cost etc to take into account according to priorities.

Some may prefer multiple tools.

In the end the choice is personal, but you have to remember that the further you get into the software the more you can get out of it. It is an investment.

Have a nice day

• 2 weeks later...

I think that C1 has by far the best X-Trans RAW conversion. However, without proper lens corrections I have as paying customer zero use for C1 because lens corrections are mandatory for lenses like the 16-55 f/2.8.

If I were head of the C1 development team I would be embarrassed by now. These new Fuji adaptations (reading the lens correction parameters from the X-Pro2 RAW file) simply take them too much effort to implement.

And then there is the already mentioned missing auto mask functionality but also think about the fact that there is no Opengl / Opencl  processing on Fuji RAWs, meaning that all processing is done only by the CPU. Your high performance graphics card is sitting doing nothing. Maybe they should let Iliah (Fast Raw Viewer) write some code for them as he very well knows his stuff.

Until C1 gets its act together I’ll stick with my X-T1 as with this camera the lens corrections work just fine and for me I’m much better off with an X-T1 with lens corrections than with an X-T2 without lens corrections.

Honestly, with Fuji, forget Capture One. It's a great program with Leaf/Mamiya products. It's great with Sony. It's pretty good with Nikon and Canon, as far as tethering goes, but it's no better for their raw files than any other program. For Fuji it's downright atrocious. Shaky raw support. No tether support. The standard controls aren't well suited to non-bayer files.

There's honestly, honestly no reason to use Capture One if you shoot Fuji. There just isn't. At best it's a little behind Lightroom, and it's not like Lightroom is particularly great, either. For every other brand, Capture One is nice. Not Fuji.

Which software would you recommend?

• 2 weeks later...

I imported X-Pro2 files into Capture One Pro today for the first time since I installed 9.2.1.19. I use an XF 35 f/2 lens, and was shocked to see distortion corrections applied when I started to crop a RAF file! I wonder if Phase One has added support for any other lens profiles on the quiet.

Edited by binotto