Petition for a X100T successor

The X100T has been around for quite some time now. Despite being a decent camera, it is starting to its age. The 16mp sensor is one good generation behind the current 24mp chip, the EVF is not exactly class leading... Nonetheless after seeing what the X-Pro 2 can do, one must wonder how much an update to the X100 range can achieve. Having waited for so long, I think it's high time for Fujifilm to release the successor to the throne of the most beloved compact camera in order to satisfy our gear lust.

I would like to take advantage of this forum to have a petition for the long-awaited X100T successor to be released ASAP e.g. by Photokina; and I seriously think Fuji should listen not only to the x shooters but also their general customers.

Edited by Boris

Considering the popularity and success of the X100 line is there any reason to suspect they won't release an update?

I'd prefer them to release an update when they feel they can deliver a camera that will meet or exceed the expectations of the customer.  Not just release one because it's been a minute...

Considering the popularity and success of the X100 line is there any reason to suspect they won't release an update?

I'd prefer them to release an update when they feel they can deliver a camera that will meet or exceed the expectations of the customer. Not just release one because it's been a minute...

True indeed, it is more important to have a refined evolution of the X100 than a half-baked product. But seeing what they have achieved in X-Pro2, I'm pretty convinced they have adequate time and technology to do what it takes. It's just an updated X100T would be a marketing disaster for the still-new X70.

True indeed, it is more important to have a refined evolution of the X100 than a half-baked product. But seeing what they have achieved in X-Pro2, I'm pretty convinced they have adequate time and technology to do what it takes. It's just an updated X100T would be a marketing disaster for the still-new X70.

I disagree.  The X100 series and the X70 are completely different planes.  The X70 is meant to capture that audience that is tired of replacing their GR's every year or two and the audience that has heard all the horror stories about the GR, and give other's a high quality option with an APS-C sensor, instead of the smaller sensor options.  If you have an X100 that you are happy with, you aren't replacing it with the X70.  The lens adapter is cheaper.  You might supplement your kit with the 70, but it can't replace the X100, and don't see it ever doing so.

I don't disagree that they have the technology available.  And to mark the anniversary of the X100, you may see the next generation of that camera announced at Photokina.  That is the camera that started this whole thing for Fuji.  It is the camera that launched this revolution.  It's the camera that brought many of the pros that use Fuji to the system.  It's integrated in so many of their kits and workflow.  The next generation of the X100 will be another game changer.

Edited by CRAusmus

Although they aim at different target audience groups (just like the X-Pro2 & X100T), I presume knowing the MK II would very likely feature a 24MP sensor and all the bells and whistles from X-Pro2 would make some want to wait a little bit longer and ultimately harm the sales of the current product. I believe that's also the case for some that are struggling to pull the trigger to get an X100T (myself included). If X100T, being X70's closest cousin, is being replaced by X200, I can imagine people would really think twice before adopting an X70.  

I disagree.  The X100 series and the X70 are completely different planes.  The X70 is meant to capture that audience that is tired of replacing their GR's every year or two and the audience that has heard all the horror stories about the GR, and give other's a high quality option with an APS-C sensor, instead of the smaller sensor options.  If you have an X100 that you are happy with, you aren't replacing it with the X70.  The lens adapter is cheaper.  You might supplement your kit with the 70, but it can't replace the X100, and don't see it ever doing so.

I don't disagree that they have the technology available.  And to mark the anniversary of the X100, you may see the next generation of that camera announced at Photokina.  That is the camera that started this whole thing for Fuji.  It is the camera that launched this revolution.  It's the camera that brought many of the pros that use Fuji to the system.  It's integrated in so many of their kits and workflow.  The next generation of the X100 will be another game changer.

Although they aim at different target audience groups (just like the X-Pro2 & X100T), I presume knowing the MK II would very likely feature a 24MP sensor and all the bells and whistles from X-Pro2 would make some want to wait a little bit longer and ultimately harm the sales of the current product. I believe that's also the case for some that are struggling to pull the trigger to get an X100T (myself included). If X100T, being X70's closest cousin, is being replaced by X200, I can imagine people would really think twice before adopting an X70.  

I see your point, and you could be 100% correct.  I could be completely wrong, or we could both be right on some level.  I own an X70 and I want an X100 really bad.  Of course I am really wanting the S over the T (due to the shooting experience), but haven't found one that I'm excited enough to drop the money on yet; but I am looking hard.  I still think the shooting experience of the two cameras is different enough (comparing the T and the 70) that buyers would rather have one over the other, and it wouldn't effect their buying decision.  More than likely it's the possibility that the next generation is around the corner that is effecting that decision, in my opinion.  I don't think that Fuji expects huge numbers out of the 70.  It's a niche product for the street photographer, and a replacement for the aging GR in my opinion.

However, this is just all conjecture on my part.  Still fun to dream though...

Edited by CRAusmus

I'm quite new to Fuji, having just recently purchased the X100T. I come from, and still am, an Micro 4/3 user. In my view, I don't see the X70 and the X100 as competitors. If I had decided one or the other was a good fit for what I wanted, I would not think the other was a reasonable replacement. Both cameras are quite nice, but I would say different markets in terms of filling what the prospective buyer is looking for. While I like the M4/3 platform, I chose the X100T over the Pen-F, and could not be more pleased with the choice. I am an old schooler, and the combination of old school charm, exceptional image quality, modern technology have all been perfectly combined in this camera. It makes we want to take a camera with me every where I go. I could easily do that with one of my M4/3 cameras, but there is some reason that this Fuji calls to me to do it while the others don't. I get exceptional image quality out of my M4/3 lenses, and it is a platform I am happy with. But this Fuji X100T brings an intangible to the table that makes it stand alone in my collection.

I really like this camera.

• 1 month later...

At no time has there been any doubt that Fujifilm would eventually release a fourth X100, aka X100F, that would replace the third X100, aka X100T, which replaced the second X100, aka X100S, and so on.

As for timing, I remember seeing fresh speculation about this on Facebook, it was linking to a popular rumor website where there was talk about a delay due to Sony's quake-related inability to get things done as planned and ordered. Makes sense.

I hope Fuji can finally replace the slippery outside surface of the X100T with a coating similar to the X30 / XT1 / XT10.  The haptics of a more 'grippy' coating would increase the usability of this series; it is sorely needed.  I take for granted we'll see a 24 MP sensor, and expanded coverage of HDR exposure.  

That depends a lot on the grip design - the cameras that you have mentioned have integrated, sculpted/ curvy ergonomic rubber grips.  If the X100T successor were to feature a full metal chassis like X70 & X-Pro2, it will also feature a rubber grip but it will be the plasticky piece you find on these cameras. If Fujifilm wants to stick to the Leica-ish design, it will come with the same faux leather wrap... 

If the camera is delayed due to the XT-2 and X-Pro 2 using up 100% of the available 24MP sensors, it is understandable that it will be delayed until demand can be satisfied.

​I don't think anyone wants a "paper launch" for a product that no-one (or few people) can get.

That would be as much use as just listing the specs (which will likely be the same spec as an X-Pro 2, with built in 23mm F/2 lens, hybrid view finder, and leaf shutter)

4K video is unlikely due to heat issues (maybe an X200 MKII after the processor undergoes a die shrink with 4K)

I have the Ricoh GR digital. I find it's a perfect travel companion with excellent IQ and wonderful operational ergonomics. I did not see the need to update mine. Given my experience with that camera, I was surprised about your comments on the need to replace it and the horror stories about the camera. Can you cite some sources? I've been recommending this camera to others and if there is something I've missed, I'd like to be informed.

On the X100+, I would buy instantly a XPro2 dressed up as a X100. I find the technology in my XPro2 to be extraordinary and sufficient. If I were to add anything on the X100(Pro2), I'd like a DOF scale on the lens. I really find the the size of the X100 (I have the original) a near perfect balance between button real estate and packaged technology. 

I do have the EF-X20 strobe for my XPro2, but still prefer just taking the GR (or X100) when I know I'm in a social situation that could be "spruced up" with a bit of direct light. I've never used it with the X100, because the on-board has always been sufficient for a bit of fill the way I shoot. 

There are enough things that the X100 does naturally that makes it a great complement (as well as spare body) to my XPro2, I have no hesitation to adopt a new X100 based on the XPro2 technology.

After a couple of years I am still comfortable with my X100S .. for me it is a 'go anywhere' system with real professional capabilities. One feature sorely missed however is an on-lens DOF scale; that is really critical for street work.

I don't mind if they copy that from Leica X Typ113 or Leica Q... That's probably the best implementation I've seen, way better than the clutch mechanism... Albeit that lens is bloody humongous 

Edited by Boris

Hi, I'm a new (but old school) member from France

I am currently a user of Sony RX100 mk3, I wish to replace a device with a larger sensor with a portable format but more usable than the Sony. I look forward to the Fuji announcements about replacing the X100t. If one had to be delayed in late 2017, it is possible that I turn to a Xe2s with the new optical 23mm / f2. what's yout point of view?. Thanks

I am currently a user of Sony RX100 mk3, I wish to replace a device with a larger sensor with a portable format but more usable than the Sony. I look forward to the Fuji announcements about replacing the X100t. If one had to be delayed in late 2017, it is possible that I turn to a Xe2s with the new optical 23mm / f2. what's yout point of view?. Thanks

Hi, regarding the new 23mm F2, perhaps you may want to join the discussion on http://www.fuji-x-forum.com/topic/2241-xf23mm-f2-rumors/

Several points I would like to add though: 

1. The X100 series is a lot more compact due to the short flange focal distance i.e. the lens is closer to the sensor.

2. The X100 series has a in-lens leaf shutter, which allows very fast flash sync. The caveat is it can only go up to 1/1000 at F2... To use 1/4000 you need to stop down, which is very counterintuitive. And that's why it also has a built-in ND filter

3. The X100 series has a built-in hybrid OVF-EVF (which is also featured on the heavier X-Pro series but not XE)

4. I've tried a X100 demo and it feels more solid than the XE2 (which feels slightly hollow)

5. The X100 series has a classic one-piece baseplate design which the XE2 has a split baseplate (which doesn't feel as nice)

I'm also looking forward to this lens because I do shoot XE2. 

6. The new 23mm F2 will probably be weather-sealed when you use a matching weather-sealed body, not sure if the new X100 successor (although we've been asking for that)

7. The new 23mm F2 is very likely to have internal focusing mechanism, thus allowing faster auto-focusing

8. Macro capability of the new 23mm F2 is unlikely to be on par with the integrated lens on X100 though, making it a less versatile lens on a more versatile body

That's all I can tell for now. 

Edited by Boris

Size Comparison Between XE2 and X100T

Here's a quick size comparison for you interest and also for anyone who's considering the XE2 and waiting for the new XF 23mm F2 rather than getting a X100T right away. 

From Matt Granger's sneak peek the 35mm F2 is quick close in size to the 23mm F2; 

• 3 weeks later...

GLADLY will sign the petition. 

My money though is on the likelihood, despite clear profile size differences, that they'll give 100S and 100T owners a little time to try the XPRO2 or XE2s with the new 23mmF2 to see if they can deal with the size. So many shooters buy to try and then swap around, it's the advantage of using $1K-2K cameras instead of $7k-10k cameras. 

Still, it's high time for the 100F or 200 or whatever title will come printed there, but I doubt we'll see it until CES17. But that release could be saved for the MF??? Not sure which I'd want more. MF or FF 100.