PC Autosave won't work

Hello all,

I own a GFX50S II and would like to transfer pictures from my camera to my PC using a wireless connection (Wi-Fi).

It seems that the PC application PC Autosave could do the job, I can't have it working...

Is this app really compatible with GFX50S II?

Is there any alternative?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Ayapos

Hello all,

I have worked on this topic, it turns out that:
- One can transfer JPG files to any smarphone/Tablet running with Adnroid,
- It is then possible to set an FTP server on the smartphone/tablet accessible by any PC.

Drawbacks: only JPG and NO RAW can be transfered.
It needs a double wi-fi connection , one for the camera, one for the PC.

Furthermore, I have discovered that the Fujifilm GFX50S II has only a 63 Mbps Wi-fi link, hence a veeeeery slow transfer of the pictures.

It really is a pain in the ***!

Once again, if someone can give me any advices to directly download RAW files to a PC, I'd be very glad.

Thanks in advance 4 ur reply.

Regards,

- Ayapos

Edited by Ayapos

Raw files are considerably larger than jpeg, it would take forever and a week to transfer a batch of them over to your computer using wifi. Although sometimes less convenient, using a card reader or a USB cable connected to your computer, to off-load them will work.

Unless you can coax Fujifilm into building an adapter to use the FT-XH file transmitter with your camera.

Edited by jerryy

Hello Jerryy,

Thanks for your reply!

You're right, RAW files are roughly 100 MB while the associated JPEG only weighs 12 MB.
If I've asked my question it's because the USB connector cap on the body is attached to this body with two thin pieces of rubber (or plastic?) and seem very fragile. Furthermore, the body USB connector has a low insersion/extraction lifetime (100 to 200) . Therefore, the less I use the USB port, the longer the mechanical elements will last.

Back to my proposal - transfering from body to smartphone via Wi-Fi has only a 63 Mbps speed: it means that the transter time would be 1.5 s for each JPEG file which is totally acceptable. The drawback is that only JPEG can be transfered.. Hence my frustation.

Has anyone have other ideas to thransfert RAW files to smartpone or PC via Wi-Fi?

Ayapos

The issue is that unless you find some way to attach a high speed reader driving a super fast wifi chip, you are stuck using the built-in wifi, which is too slooooooow, (to transfer those large files, you really need wifi-6 or the upcoming wifi-7 to have something that is practical).

Using the numbers you've provided, if the built-in wifi were used, it would take about 15 seconds for each raw file, which might be okay for just one or two files, but when you are looking to move several hundred files, that is a lot of time, a whole lot of dead batteries and also is assuming the transfers do not have any troubles -- any noise coming from other electrical equipment such as your or the neighbors wifi and cell phones are noise troubles that slow down transfers.

But the really big problem, to top things off, your camera might cook itself to death from the heat that is generated and kept going though a transfer, that is, assuming the camera's thermal safety routines do not kick in and shut the camera off to save itself.

I am curious, where did you find the numbers for the USB insertion/extraction lifetimes? 100 to 200 seems rather low.

Edited by jerryy

Hmm, a lot of places put the number of cycles at 10,000 (ten thousand):

https://www.anandtech.com/show/8377/usb-typec-connector-specifications-finalized

https://www.content.molex.com/dxdam/c9/c924179b-a897-4f79-a5ae-cfdc94fc73cb/987651-4081.pdf

https://www.cablestogo.com/tech/usb-c

which woul make sense, otherwise all of the various camera manufacturers would have a lot of warranty work on their hands.

Card Readers for now!

Hello Jerryy,

I understand your point of view, nevertheless manufacturer of reseller can not say their product are limited in time or usage. It is not their interest. Once again I speak with a +30 years background in electronics design.

On the other hand, as you say, camera manufacturer have - I think - studied the pros and cons regarding their technical proposals, and their products.

In any case, I still hope s.o. can help with what I consider as an issue 😉

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and opinion.

Ayapos

Edited by Ayapos

I think you have slightly mis-interpreted what I wrote. The camera manufacturers are using connectors that last a long time.

If they did not, then the cameras would break after a few days or weeks or months of use. The manufacturers would then be forced to take back all of the essentially brand new cameras they just shipped out to dealers and fix or replace them. No manufacturer can afford to do that, they would go bankrupt quickly.

You can use USB-C connectors in the Fujifilm cameras and expect them to last a good long while, and use card readers for the major transfers.