Exposure display X-T5

OldJohn

On my X-T3 the exposure data (shutter speed and aperture) are displayed when the camera is turned on. On my X-T5 I only get that information if I half press the shutter or the AEL button.

Can I change a setting so that the X-T5 show the data when the camera is turned on?

Thank you.

This page should have the information for getting this setup as you want things to appear, or not appear.

But before diving into that try this:

Push the DISP/BACK button several times and look at the screen after each button push. That button cycles through several different screens including one with nothing other than the image. One thing to keep in mind, your X-T3 works the same way.

p.s. Welcome to the forum.

Edited by jerryy

Thanks for the welcome, Jerryy. I am not familair with Forum use so please bear with me. When you say "This page ..." I am not sure which page you are refering to. I have tried pressing the DISP/BACK button and the screens cycle as I expect.

I can  be a litttle more specific in my question. I am using Aperture priority. The EVF or LCD show the aperture in blue all the time the camera is on. The shutter speed is only displayed when I press AEL or half press the shutter. I am using back focusing.

Thanks.

That is odd, that link must of gotten lost on the way to the posting. Trying again:

https://fujifilm-dsc.com/en/manual/x-t5/about_this_camera/display/

Some background for others: When you are using Aperture Priority, the camera does not really know what the scene is going to be until you are really ready to take the shot. Since it is the one choosing the shutter speed, it has to wait until you "go first" by pressing the AEL button or the shutter button, then it can decide for certain what shutter speed to use. If you swap to a different mode, Shutter Priority or fully Manual, the shutter speed should be displayed,

Some of the X-T cameras will display the constantly changing speed and some do not, I believe the older ones did not, and the newer ones did, so I would think the X-T5 would show it.

Edit: After digging through some settings, it seems that setting the minimum shutter speed in the Auto ISO

https://fujifilm-dsc.com/en/manual/x-t5/taking_photo/iso/index.html#auto_sensitivity

will then display the current shutter speed when an Auto mode is used, but that is only a guideline, so it seems, the actual shutter speed is still chosen when the button is pushed.

Edited by jerryy

Thanks again, Jerryy. My X-T3 shows more complete infomation.  If I sit at my desk and point the X-T3 at my bookshelves it shows the Shutter Speed and Aperture without me touching any controls. The X-T5 requires me to touch AEL or the shutter release and the Shutter speed (in Aperture priority) or Aperture (in Shutter speed prioirty) is only shown as long as I am pressing.

I am fairly sure that when I got the X-T5 it worked the same as the X-T3 since I did not notice any diference when using the camera. I could be wrong about that but can't check. I think I must have changed a menu setting - but I don't know which one! Any help welcome.

Try watching the X-T3's display very closely as you operate it. Does the shutter speed change when you push the shutter button half way (or push the AEL button)? If so, it might be the setting for Auto ISO has had the minimum shutter speed set. In some camera bodies, this turns on the ss display (but only as an estimate - guideline, the actual speed is not set until the button is pushed). I may have been editing the previous message about that while you were replying.

On the X-T3 there is sometimes a slight adjustment of the shutter speed when I press AEL. I rarely use Auto ISO. On both cameras the base ISO is the cameras' default: 160 on the X-T3 and 125 on the  X-T5.

Does this mean that the shutter speed on the X-T3 is an estimate and that the X-T5 is simply not showing that?

I most likely was not as clear in what I wrote as I should be. On the older cameras, the shutter speed did not appear in the display for the reasons I mentioned, that is the camera has to decide the speed (metering) and it only would at the button press and then show it on the display.

Newer cameras could show the shutter speed estimate and display the “finally chosen” shutter speed when the button is pushed. But, as this was the catch, this happened after the user set-up the auto-iso limits along with the minimum shutter speed in the set-up menus. Then the camera would always display the (estimated) shutter speed along with the other numbers. I suppose —guess— this was put in place as a guideline to warn the users when the scene was so dark, a slow ss would be used possibly resulting in motion blur, so they might want to kick up the ISO or go fully manual mode. Similar to shutter priority showing the f-stop in red when the scene is very dark. Constantly running the metering to show very up to date shutter speeds takes battery juice, so if only an every-so-often estimate is given, then the battery lasts longer.

Shorter: The X-T3 is showing an estimate. For the X-T5, try setting the auto iso limits along with a minimum shutter speed even if you do not normally use it and then see if the estimate ss starts appearing.

Many thanks, Jerryy, for this explanation. I have set the minimum shutter speed to 1/200 in auto ISO. The shutter speed is still only displayed when I press AEL or half press the shutter.

I think I just have to accept that the X-T3 and X-T5 work in slightly different ways. This is not a problem. Both are excellent cameras!

Thanks for your patience and help.