I've handled a pre-production X-T2; nothing new, but can confirm some things

aceflibble

Didn't know whether to put this in general or the X-T1/X-T10 board. Move as you wish.

Anyway, as I alluded to in the comments a few days back, I have been able to get my hands on a pre-production X-T2... for about 60 seconds. There is nothing new I can report which hasn't already been talked about on the FR front page; Patrick's got everything covered and evidently his sources are in a better position to give you close-up photos and videos and whatever. If you want new information, there's little I can say.

What I can do is confirm some of the things people weren't sure about, and give you my impressions from having held it for about the time it took for my friend to eat his muffin, and chatting about it for a few minutes. Which isn't much, but hey; rumours are the best we've got, usually, so hands-on is a small step up, at least.

First, a few questions which I know will come up, and I'm just going to shoot down right away:

Q: Do you have any raw files to share, did you shoot any 4k video, etc?
A: No. It's not my camera. It's not a camera I'm supposed to have seen. It's not a camera I got to go out shooting with. I just got to hold it for literally a minute, look through the viewfinder, turn a few dials, glance at the menu, etc.

Q: How did you get it?
A: Several of my friends work in the industry; a couple are Fuji X photographers. I met one for coffee, he happened to have the camera with him. He let me hold it while he ate a muffin. That's literally all. There's no exciting super secret 007 spy story. 

Q: Can you give us [things which would give away your friend's identity]? Can they come and post here about their experience with the X-T2?
A: No. I've not signed an NDA or made any embargo agreement with Fuji, so I can say whatever the hell I like. He can't. Every X photographer and member of the press who has been granted use of an X-T2 has signed an NDA. Giving away anything which could lead Fuji to work out who talks to who could mean very real, very serious legal trouble for those photographers. So I won't say anything which could be used to identify any of my friends or info sources, and none of them post here or on any other Fuji-specific forum. They know I talk, but they also trust me to keep their identities completely safe and secret.

Q: Why should we believe you?
A:
Common sense dictates that you shouldn't. Like all rumours, it would be smart for you to take everything with a big pinch of salt. All I can say is that most people who follow the front page probably have a good idea of my track record with talking about design aspects of bodies, which are later confirmed by Patrick's own sources. But if you don't wish to believe me, that's fine. I wouldn't believe me, either. That's the nature of rumours and talking about products which haven't been officially released yet.

Q: Did you also see a 23mm f/2 lens?
A:
No.

Okay, obvious questions out the way, here's what I can elaborate on:

The photos Patrick's sources have been sharing with him are, undoubtably, legitimate. (As if there was any doubt at this point.)  The unit I saw is identical to those. 
All the things which I've mentioned before in the front page comments and Patrick's had as more reliably-rumoured specs, are right there. All the obvious stuff: dual SD slots, function button instead of dedicated video button, 1/250th sync speed, etc. Again, as if there was any doubt left, I can confirm that everything which has been repeatedly reported on the front page is accurate. This is why I say there's nothing new to talk about. Patrick's coverage has been incredibly accurate.

In terms of feel, it does seem a tiny bit bigger and heavier than the X-T1, but having not held an X-T1 for over a year—I sold my pair to 'trade down' to a couple of X-T10s—I could simply be misremembering the X-T1's size and weight. I couldn't exactly whip out a measuring tape and a set of scales to weigh it. In any case, it's not a problem. Still a small body, still a light body. Balanced perfectly with the 23mm f/1.4 which was on it. No need to worry about the size increase. I only noticed it because I was specifically thinking about it.

The textured parts of the surface—the fake leather texture—feels a little less rubbery and has a more pronounced texture than I remember the X-T1 having. (Certainly much nicer than the T10 has.) The smooth metal areas feel the same, no change there.

The concentric control dials are much nicer than before. I'd been told months ago (and mentioned it on the front page) that the lock buttons had been revised, and it does seem that way. They sit very slightly higher than the dial than they did before and pressing them required a bit more force, with a more definite click as they locked/unlocked. Not so much of a change that it will slow you down, but I can now see how this will definitely be enough to stop any accidental turning of the top dials. The dials are very slightly taller, as you've all seen; they also had a slightly colder feel, which I can only assume means they're being cut from a denser metal than before. Each dial felt very slightly stiffer to turn than before, too; though this could just be because it's obviously a newer body, since those things tend to get looser with age.

Viewfinder is bigger than before. How much bigger, I couldn't say; I've no way of meauring it and my friend didn't know a specific figure, either. But he'd told me before that it felt bigger to him, and looking through it myself, it did seem bigger, to me. Again, though, it's been a while since I looked through an X-T1's viewfinder—even when I had the X-T1, I alway use the rear screen—so I could be misremembering, but the T2's is at least as big as the Sony α7II's, a camera I've used more recently and can compare more clearly.

Refresh rate seemed flawless. Way above what the T1, Pro2, or α7II give. Again, I've no way of counting a specific number. I know that thing came out recently about it being 100fps. I don't know how I'd count 100fps. All I can say is we were sat in the back of an average-dimly lit high street coffee shop, and I didn't notice any lag or stuttering or anything. By far the most faultless EVF I've seen. The only way I could tell it wasn't an OVF is because of the brightness and the applied colour profile. (Film simulation.) Otherwise it may as well be an OVF. Hell, it's better than an OVF. Much brighter, under those conditions. If Pro2 owners get to look through this, they're going to question why they spent so much money on having an optical viewfinder. Like I said, no way of giving you specific figures, but I can say that the T2's EVF is by far the best SLR-style viewfinder I've ever looked through.

Rear screen, other than the new hinging—yes, it hinges just like Patrick's photos show—seems the same as the Pro2's. It's fine; great, even. It's what I typically use 99.99% of the time. But yeah, nothing special to say here, 'cause Patrick's photos have already shown you all of the hinging. Yes, it tilts up, down, and left and right. Or up and down in landscape and up and down in portrait, if you prefer thinking of it that way. Didn't seem any weaker or tougher than the T1's style of tilting. It's fine, it works, don't worry about it.

Yes, it's got 4K. He doesn't shoot video at all, and I don't shoot video with SLR or mirrorless, so this isn't an area either of us care about. I just saw that 4K was mentioned in the menu, and he told me that Fuji had told him it has a 10-minute limit on 4K files. So, kinda the same situation as Nikon's in. (They have a 3-minute limit, right?) But yeah, it's not something either of us uses, so I don't know what else I could tell you about this. But it does it, there. Another thing to tick off on the back of the box for marketing. Other video options remain unchanged from the Pro2, as far as I could see/tell with my limited interest in mirrorless video.

Focus on a still subject—my coffee cup—under slightly-dim lighting seemed the same as the Pro2. Used the 23mm f/1.4. Same focus point arrangement as the Pro2. Same joystick for AF point control on the back a the Pro2 has. We already knew it had it, of course, but I've seen some people wish for it to be larger, have more positive movement, etc. It felt exactly the same, to me. So no change there.

Can't say anything on focus tracking. Didn't test it. Not many high-speed subjects in the back of a Starbucks.

Burst rate is faster than the Pro2's. Apparently, Fuji told him it could max out at 9fps. He told me he's experienced some slowdown for focusing, etc, which is normal for any camera. So he reckons 8.5fps is what you actually get. I gave it a quick go just pointing at the table, to see where the buffer would kick in. It didn't seem to last any longer than the Pro2's, but it did get 32 frames of uncompressed raw in the same time span. (About 3 seconds, felt like.) That's about 5 or 6 more than the Pro2 manages, and for the same stretch of time, that does work out to be around 9fps. So I expect Fuji are being honest when they told him 9fps is the max. A dark table in a dim room is a pretty easy and quick scene to capture, so pretty ideal for maxing out the FPS and buffer. Who knows if they'll try to market it as 9fps or 8.5, or even just 8, so people aren't disappointed when it comes to bursting more complex shots. In any case, it got more shots in the same time as the Pro2 does, so we've got a faster burst and a deeper buffer, but ultimately covering the same 3-and-a-bit seconds.

Like I said, just pointed at the table, so I can't speak for how well that keeps up when combined with continuous focus tracking.

I don't know about the boost mode with the grip. Didn't have it on the camera. If they split the burst so it's 8fps without grip, for consistency, and 11fps with the grip for speed, that'd make sense. Having the camera without the grip be capable of 9fps but only shoot at 8fps is a sensible thing to do for the sake of the shutter's lifespan, write speeds, being able to market a deeper buffer, etc. But right there this afternoon, with no grip, it shot above 8fps.

The only thing about the grip I can say is that, having seen the basic body in person, it definitely will be a new grip. There's no way the old grip would be compatible with this body. Different door shapes, different grip depth. Fuji did send the new grip to him with the body, but he's just not a grip user so he's not bothered with it. I am a grip user, so I asked more about it, but yeah, he doesn't use it so not much to say. It's new, it's got that boost mode, and the old grip won't work. Everything we already knew, basically.

As far as focusing, burst, and write speeds go, the camera was in the high performance mode. Didn't try putting it in power saving. I can only assume everything slows down in power saving, just like with every other Fuji camera.

Write speed for a single frame felt to be about the same speed as the Pro2, with an SDXC card in the UHS-II slot. This wasn't a technical test, no other cards to try in different slots.

Start up time seems the same as the Pro2 and wake up time felt a tiny bit faster than the Pro2. Couldn't time it, obviously. But it seemed a fraction quicker.

Battery he had in it was the same old NP-W126. I expressed some disappointment on this, because I'm always hoping for larger-capacity batteries. But I remain hopeful, because the battery is one of the things which most commonly changes between pre-production and final release models. I really hope this is changed and we get a bigger capacity for the release. But for what it's worth, this pre-production unit was using the NP-W126, just like the Pro2, Pro1, T1, T10, E2, E1...

Nothing new in terms of colour profiles (film simulations), .jpg settings, etc. All the same as the Pro2. No idea on raw handling because, of course, no software supports T2 raws, yet. But my friend said the .jpgs he's been shooting have been identical to the ones out of his Pro2, so yeah. Everything's the same there, as we all expect.

Micro USB port, unlabelled, but it looked to me like a micro B, and he told me Fuji said it's USB 3.0, though he's had no use for it. (Of course, no software right now supports the T2.) That should help for tethering, I suppose? Not that Fuji's tethering is worth a damn. In any case, hey, looks like a micro USB 3.0 port is on the cards. (Though wasn't the Pro2 meant to have micro USB 3.0, too? But that ended up having micro USB 2.0. So I won't be surprised if Fuji decides to be cheap and downgrades the T2 to USB 2.0. But hey, pre-production has 3.0.)

Mini HDMI port is still there. I'm guessing that it's a D-type, like the Pro2 has; he didn't know which particular version and I don't know enough about the different types of mini HDMI to identify it. It's unlabelled. In any case, hey, it's there, looks just like it is with the Pro2. Ditto for the audio ports.

Doors for battery/port/card access all have the same double action hinge and latch as the Pro2's battery door has. It's just less flimsy than the T1 had. Nothing about them suggested to me that it is any better weather-sealed, though. Feels very much like this is still a 'weather resistant' body and not a 'weather sealed' body.

All the stuff people have bizarrely asked for, even though it's obvious it would never have, were indeed not there: no IBIS, no pop-up flash, no CF cards, no APS-H or 35mm sensor, no bayer sensor.

So, there you have it. Everything I could glean from ~60 seconds with a pre-production X-T2 body. I don't think there's anything else to say, didn't get to give it a proper test or mount my own lenses or memory cards or shoot with it. I'll happily answer questions if I can, but I don't know what else I could say; if you're curious about something which I've not already written about, then chances are it's something I didn't look at or think to ask about. Obviously I'm asking about the camera as much as I can without being annoying, and I hope I'll be able to beg for a little more time with it at some point. But for now, that's about the extent of all I know and saw.

This might be interesting to you, it might be boring, I don't know. Just thought I may as well share 'cause I can.

Yes, Thank You for this.  I love my XT-1 and look forward to the rumored features I have heard about for the XT-2.  The decision to pre-order has pretty much been made.  This just confirms what I have been hearing, but I could not always believe.  There are such rumors as the announcement being June 14th.  Hearing from someone who has actually handled one helps.

Thank you for sharing this. Sounds like there is no chemistry between you and the camera, right?

Sort of. I have a rocky relationship with the whole Fuji system. The bits I love, I love. The bits I hate, I hate. The X-T cameras, in particular, are things which I love from a functional point-of-view, but there's something uncomfortable about them. They're an SLR without the history of SLRs. I still buy them over the Pro and E cameras, because they fit my workflow better, but I wish they were just that little bit more... I don't know. They're like the Terminator; incredible machine, but still not quite human.

I mean, I'll be buying at least one X-T2. But yeah, it's hard to really be enamoured with it. If the Pro had the same tilt screen, I'd probably buy the Pro, instead. The T gets my money simply because of that functional difference.

Since you have stated you used the screen, can you confirm if the X-T2 has a touch screen?

Not a touch screen. However, as I have said before in the front page comments a couple of months ago—in fact Patrick reposted my comments as an article, HERE—I've been told by other people, who say they have later pre-production bodies, that it does have a touch screen.

The problem is the people who have told me that aren't people who live anywhere near me, and I don't know them as well. So I'm reluctant to trust them as much... but at the same time, it wouldn't be the first time that a major feature was absent from a prototype body, to then be in the final design. After all, the prototype X-Pro1 had dual card slots, but obviously the final model didn't. And of course the X70 got a touch screen, so it's not as crazy a suggestion as some of the things people have come up with. (IBIS, APS-H, etc.)

So, the body I saw did not have a touch screen, and my other most trusted sources—people who I know for sure have pre-production bodies—all say there's no touch screen on their bodies, either. It looks like none of Patrick's sources have claimed it will have a touch screen, too. But if one did turn up with a touch screen? Well, it wouldn't be the biggest surprise. Crazier things have happened. 

Didn't know whether to put this in general or the X-T1/X-T10 board. Move as you wish.

Anyway, as I alluded to in the comments a few days back, I have been able to get my hands on a pre-production X-T2... for about 60 seconds. There is nothing new I can report which hasn't already been talked about on the FR front page; Patrick's got everything covered and evidently his sources are in a better position to give you close-up photos and videos and whatever. If you want new information, there's little I can say.

What I can do is confirm some of the things people weren't sure about, and give you my impressions from having held it for about the time it took for my friend to eat his muffin, and chatting about it for a few minutes. Which isn't much, but hey; rumours are the best we've got, usually, so hands-on is a small step up, at least.

First, a few questions which I know will come up, and I'm just going to shoot down right away:

Q: Do you have any raw files to share, did you shoot any 4k video, etc?

A: No. It's not my camera. It's not a camera I'm supposed to have seen. It's not a camera I got to go out shooting with. I just got to hold it for literally a minute, look through the viewfinder, turn a few dials, glance at the menu, etc.

Q: How did you get it?

A: Several of my friends work in the industry; a couple are Fuji X photographers. I met one for coffee, he happened to have the camera with him. He let me hold it while he ate a muffin. That's literally all. There's no exciting super secret 007 spy story. 

Q: Can you give us [things which would give away your friend's identity]? Can they come and post here about their experience with the X-T2?

A: No. I've not signed an NDA or made any embargo agreement with Fuji, so I can say whatever the hell I like. He can't. Every X photographer and member of the press who has been granted use of an X-T2 has signed an NDA. Giving away anything which could lead Fuji to work out who talks to who could mean very real, very serious legal trouble for those photographers. So I won't say anything which could be used to identify any of my friends or info sources, and none of them post here or on any other Fuji-specific forum. They know I talk, but they also trust me to keep their identities completely safe and secret.

Q: Why should we believe you?

A: Common sense dictates that you shouldn't. Like all rumours, it would be smart for you to take everything with a big pinch of salt. All I can say is that most people who follow the front page probably have a good idea of my track record with talking about design aspects of bodies, which are later confirmed by Patrick's own sources. But if you don't wish to believe me, that's fine. I wouldn't believe me, either. That's the nature of rumours and talking about products which haven't been officially released yet.

Q: Did you also see a 23mm f/2 lens?

A: No.

Okay, obvious questions out the way, here's what I can elaborate on:

The photos Patrick's sources have been sharing with him are, undoubtably, legitimate. (As if there was any doubt at this point.)  The unit I saw is identical to those. 

All the things which I've mentioned before in the front page comments and Patrick's had as more reliably-rumoured specs, are right there. All the obvious stuff: dual SD slots, function button instead of dedicated video button, 1/250th sync speed, etc. Again, as if there was any doubt left, I can confirm that everything which has been repeatedly reported on the front page is accurate. This is why I say there's nothing new to talk about. Patrick's coverage has been incredibly accurate.

In terms of feel, it does seem a tiny bit bigger and heavier than the X-T1, but having not held an X-T1 for over a year—I sold my pair to 'trade down' to a couple of X-T10s—I could simply be misremembering the X-T1's size and weight. I couldn't exactly whip out a measuring tape and a set of scales to weigh it. In any case, it's not a problem. Still a small body, still a light body. Balanced perfectly with the 23mm f/1.4 which was on it. No need to worry about the size increase. I only noticed it because I was specifically thinking about it.

The textured parts of the surface—the fake leather texture—feels a little less rubbery and has a more pronounced texture than I remember the X-T1 having. (Certainly much nicer than the T10 has.) The smooth metal areas feel the same, no change there.

The concentric control dials are much nicer than before. I'd been told months ago (and mentioned it on the front page) that the lock buttons had been revised, and it does seem that way. They sit very slightly higher than the dial than they did before and pressing them required a bit more force, with a more definite click as they locked/unlocked. Not so much of a change that it will slow you down, but I can now see how this will definitely be enough to stop any accidental turning of the top dials. The dials are very slightly taller, as you've all seen; they also had a slightly colder feel, which I can only assume means they're being cut from a denser metal than before. Each dial felt very slightly stiffer to turn than before, too; though this could just be because it's obviously a newer body, since those things tend to get looser with age.

Viewfinder is bigger than before. How much bigger, I couldn't say; I've no way of meauring it and my friend didn't know a specific figure, either. But he'd told me before that it felt bigger to him, and looking through it myself, it did seem bigger, to me. Again, though, it's been a while since I looked through an X-T1's viewfinder—even when I had the X-T1, I alway use the rear screen—so I could be misremembering, but the T2's is at least as big as the Sony α7II's, a camera I've used more recently and can compare more clearly.

Refresh rate seemed flawless. Way above what the T1, Pro2, or α7II give. Again, I've no way of counting a specific number. I know that thing came out recently about it being 100fps. I don't know how I'd count 100fps. All I can say is we were sat in the back of an average-dimly lit high street coffee shop, and I didn't notice any lag or stuttering or anything. By far the most faultless EVF I've seen. The only way I could tell it wasn't an OVF is because of the brightness and the applied colour profile. (Film simulation.) Otherwise it may as well be an OVF. Hell, it's better than an OVF. Much brighter, under those conditions. If Pro2 owners get to look through this, they're going to question why they spent so much money on having an optical viewfinder. Like I said, no way of giving you specific figures, but I can say that the T2's EVF is by far the best SLR-style viewfinder I've ever looked through.

Rear screen, other than the new hinging—yes, it hinges just like Patrick's photos show—seems the same as the Pro2's. It's fine; great, even. It's what I typically use 99.99% of the time. But yeah, nothing special to say here, 'cause Patrick's photos have already shown you all of the hinging. Yes, it tilts up, down, and left and right. Or up and down in landscape and up and down in portrait, if you prefer thinking of it that way. Didn't seem any weaker or tougher than the T1's style of tilting. It's fine, it works, don't worry about it.

Yes, it's got 4K. He doesn't shoot video at all, and I don't shoot video with SLR or mirrorless, so this isn't an area either of us care about. I just saw that 4K was mentioned in the menu, and he told me that Fuji had told him it has a 10-minute limit on 4K files. So, kinda the same situation as Nikon's in. (They have a 3-minute limit, right?) But yeah, it's not something either of us uses, so I don't know what else I could tell you about this. But it does it, there. Another thing to tick off on the back of the box for marketing. Other video options remain unchanged from the Pro2, as far as I could see/tell with my limited interest in mirrorless video.

Focus on a still subject—my coffee cup—under slightly-dim lighting seemed the same as the Pro2. Used the 23mm f/1.4. Same focus point arrangement as the Pro2. Same joystick for AF point control on the back a the Pro2 has. We already knew it had it, of course, but I've seen some people wish for it to be larger, have more positive movement, etc. It felt exactly the same, to me. So no change there.

Can't say anything on focus tracking. Didn't test it. Not many high-speed subjects in the back of a Starbucks.

Burst rate is faster than the Pro2's. Apparently, Fuji told him it could max out at 9fps. He told me he's experienced some slowdown for focusing, etc, which is normal for any camera. So he reckons 8.5fps is what you actually get. I gave it a quick go just pointing at the table, to see where the buffer would kick in. It didn't seem to last any longer than the Pro2's, but it did get 32 frames of uncompressed raw in the same time span. (About 3 seconds, felt like.) That's about 5 or 6 more than the Pro2 manages, and for the same stretch of time, that does work out to be around 9fps. So I expect Fuji are being honest when they told him 9fps is the max. A dark table in a dim room is a pretty easy and quick scene to capture, so pretty ideal for maxing out the FPS and buffer. Who knows if they'll try to market it as 9fps or 8.5, or even just 8, so people aren't disappointed when it comes to bursting more complex shots. In any case, it got more shots in the same time as the Pro2 does, so we've got a faster burst and a deeper buffer, but ultimately covering the same 3-and-a-bit seconds.

Like I said, just pointed at the table, so I can't speak for how well that keeps up when combined with continuous focus tracking.

I don't know about the boost mode with the grip. Didn't have it on the camera. If they split the burst so it's 8fps without grip, for consistency, and 11fps with the grip for speed, that'd make sense. Having the camera without the grip be capable of 9fps but only shoot at 8fps is a sensible thing to do for the sake of the shutter's lifespan, write speeds, being able to market a deeper buffer, etc. But right there this afternoon, with no grip, it shot above 8fps.

The only thing about the grip I can say is that, having seen the basic body in person, it definitely will be a new grip. There's no way the old grip would be compatible with this body. Different door shapes, different grip depth. Fuji did send the new grip to him with the body, but he's just not a grip user so he's not bothered with it. I am a grip user, so I asked more about it, but yeah, he doesn't use it so not much to say. It's new, it's got that boost mode, and the old grip won't work. Everything we already knew, basically.

As far as focusing, burst, and write speeds go, the camera was in the high performance mode. Didn't try putting it in power saving. I can only assume everything slows down in power saving, just like with every other Fuji camera.

Write speed for a single frame felt to be about the same speed as the Pro2, with an SDXC card in the UHS-II slot. This wasn't a technical test, no other cards to try in different slots.

Start up time seems the same as the Pro2 and wake up time felt a tiny bit faster than the Pro2. Couldn't time it, obviously. But it seemed a fraction quicker.

Battery he had in it was the same old NP-W126. I expressed some disappointment on this, because I'm always hoping for larger-capacity batteries. But I remain hopeful, because the battery is one of the things which most commonly changes between pre-production and final release models. I really hope this is changed and we get a bigger capacity for the release. But for what it's worth, this pre-production unit was using the NP-W126, just like the Pro2, Pro1, T1, T10, E2, E1...

Nothing new in terms of colour profiles (film simulations), .jpg settings, etc. All the same as the Pro2. No idea on raw handling because, of course, no software supports T2 raws, yet. But my friend said the .jpgs he's been shooting have been identical to the ones out of his Pro2, so yeah. Everything's the same there, as we all expect.

Micro USB port, unlabelled, but it looked to me like a micro B, and he told me Fuji said it's USB 3.0, though he's had no use for it. (Of course, no software right now supports the T2.) That should help for tethering, I suppose? Not that Fuji's tethering is worth a damn. In any case, hey, looks like a micro USB 3.0 port is on the cards. (Though wasn't the Pro2 meant to have micro USB 3.0, too? But that ended up having micro USB 2.0. So I won't be surprised if Fuji decides to be cheap and downgrades the T2 to USB 2.0. But hey, pre-production has 3.0.)

Mini HDMI port is still there. I'm guessing that it's a D-type, like the Pro2 has; he didn't know which particular version and I don't know enough about the different types of mini HDMI to identify it. It's unlabelled. In any case, hey, it's there, looks just like it is with the Pro2. Ditto for the audio ports.

Doors for battery/port/card access all have the same double action hinge and latch as the Pro2's battery door has. It's just less flimsy than the T1 had. Nothing about them suggested to me that it is any better weather-sealed, though. Feels very much like this is still a 'weather resistant' body and not a 'weather sealed' body.

All the stuff people have bizarrely asked for, even though it's obvious it would never have, were indeed not there: no IBIS, no pop-up flash, no CF cards, no APS-H or 35mm sensor, no bayer sensor.

So, there you have it. Everything I could glean from ~60 seconds with a pre-production X-T2 body. I don't think there's anything else to say, didn't get to give it a proper test or mount my own lenses or memory cards or shoot with it. I'll happily answer questions if I can, but I don't know what else I could say; if you're curious about something which I've not already written about, then chances are it's something I didn't look at or think to ask about. Obviously I'm asking about the camera as much as I can without being annoying, and I hope I'll be able to beg for a little more time with it at some point. But for now, that's about the extent of all I know and saw.

This might be interesting to you, it might be boring, I don't know. Just thought I may as well share 'cause I can.

Thanks for what added info and insight you could provide.

Glad to hear the rear screen works as I thought it should.. Ha! "...it doesn't tilt or swivel left   "?!    yeah, right! can't believe some people actually believe this would be acceptible design for rear screen on a flagship camera..

I just hope the x-Pro2's evf gets refreshed up to 100 fps... it doesn't sound like you needed the battery grip nor "boost" switch/butotn to get the 100fps directly from the camera body itself.. which, is hopeful, in that the x-pro2 could also potentially do that.. and i think that interview between Matt at Art of the Image and Billy from the Fuji guys that talked about hidden engineered potential in the x-pro2 such as the EVF refresh rate means it can and will get up to 100 fps via firmware some day.

since you didn't get a chance to use the battery grip, guess you weren't able to test the boost.. would have been nice to get some feedback on how much it improves AF, in particular with continuous burst shooting where there is, I think, supposedly no black out.. maxes out at about 8-8.5fps much like the Sony A6300 works without blackout.

Thanks for everything so far.

Yeah, I'd like to see the grip. I find any camera without a battery/vertical grip really uncomfortable. I'm always left with a finger dangling off the bottom gripping nothing but air, and most of my daily work is shot portrait. I'm one of those rare mirrorless users who actually wants the cameras to be larger.

But my friend never uses it; some people just don't like that feel. 'S fair enough. If I get a chance to see it again, and I know ahead of time, I'll be asking if he can bring the grip along. I don't even care about the extra power or speed, personally. I just find cameras less comfortable without grips. If I can check out the burst speed/buffer/focus/etc more, that's an added bonus.

As far as the Pro2 goes, I agree, enough people have spoken about there being more power available than the camera currently uses. It makes sense that Fuji would try to make use of that extra power somehow, eventually. I'm expecting the Pro2 to get an update to at least allow a smoother refresh rate on the EVF, after the T2 is officially released. But that is just me guessing; I've no info on any Pro2 firmware to expect, I just hope there is and am assuming so because of how the older cameras had their refresh rates updated, also.

I confirm that no source so far mentioned a touch screen

... and it’s a very good job that they didn’t fall into this trap because that would be really confusing to people whom, like me, chose this system over Sony ESPECIALLY because things like operating by menus were reduced to a minimum and there were no touch screen functions.

I really wanted a camera with button and dials and got myself an X-T1 and then also a X-E2. I like the system for what it is, if they would make it something else I would seriously consider to not upgrade to a newer camera. Which is something that, until now, the X-T2 previews haven’t been enticing me into.

It’s also a good job that they kept the size and feel.

Making this camera any larger to accommodate a larger and vertical standard grip ( rather than keeping it an accessory for those who, for whatever reason, can’t do without) would go against the grain of what this system, for me, is all about.

I’ve always thought that this camera was the modern equivalent of the Pentax LX of my youth. Small, compact, and a tool to take pictures. A mean and lean machine.

To me, the real strength of the fuji system is to insist with their concept. It is not only about the looks, but about essence and relative simplicity without Leica’s snobbery.

Will I go for the T2..., I am probably waiting for the T3 to see what this is all about, for the time being, my two cameras are still providing the tools for pictures that I can handle. I’ve yet to find their limits which I am daily confronted with mine.

It’s also a good job that they kept the size and feel.

Making this camera any larger to accommodate a larger and vertical standard grip ( rather than keeping it an accessory for those who, for whatever reason, can’t do without) would go against the grain of what this system, for me, is all about.

I doubt that idea has ever crossed their minds. The only cameras which have the vertical grip as a part of the standard body are the Canon 1D and Nikon D[x] bodies. Separate grips as an optional accessory have always been the more popular way to go, for all camera systems. (Disclaimer/honest bit: I actually prefer bodies with the vertical grip built in as standard, but I know I'm one of those weird people who isn't bothered by the size of any camera system, and most people don't like it.)

Yeah, the main reason why I didn't take some sources' claims so seriously a few months back was precisely because I'd not seen you mention a touch screen on the front page. Now that I've seen it for myself I'm very happy to write those sources off as either misunderstood or flat-out lying.

I have decide to pre-order when it is announced as all sounds quite what I would like to see.  But if it has a touch screen I will simply keep loving my XT-1.  

I know it's all personal preference but I hate those things.  If I wanted finger prints all over my LCD then I would put them there - I don't want to be forced to put them there.

I have decide to pre-order when it is announced as all sounds quite what I would like to see.  But if it has a touch screen I will simply keep loving my XT-1.  

I know it's all personal preference but I hate those things.  If I wanted finger prints all over my LCD then I would put them there - I don't want to be forced to put them there.

I believe on cameras that have touch LCD's ... there is an option in the menu to turn the touch feature off.

Some cameras operated by touchscreen menus are not equipped with the necessary dials and buttons and obviously those brands prefer a sleek look.

Not a camera that I might be possibly interested in. I like the X-T exactly as is and will welcome the joystick but that alone won’t make me change the camera.

As others have said that is what attracted me in the X system and I would consider it yet another good reason for not upgrading my camera to a camera like that.

Edited by milandro

I believe on cameras that have touch LCD's ... there is an option in the menu to turn the touch feature off.

OK, If it can be turned off I can handle that (Don't want to pay for it though!).  I have owned one camera with a touch screen, there was no way to turn it off.  It was pretty much the main menu and only way the camera could work.  I gave it away.

I'm so glad it does not have a touch screen! Great news!

I'll be ordering on day 1...

I wonder if the X-T2 will be available in black and graphite?

I want a graphite one. (Or regular silver would do, really.) I've been asking everyone I know for months now, and heard nothing back. Everybody is assuming there will be a graphite edition again, at a higher price like before, but all the ones that have been sent out so far—at least that anyone I know has seen—have been plain black. Which is to be expected. The T1 didn't launch with graphite silver as an option, either.

Frankly I think it's just damn stupid that the Pro bodies aren't available in silver, but that's another topic for another day.