Faulty 90mm?

CharlesG

Hello Everyone,

Question for you. I just bought a used Fujinon XF 90mm f/2 online. I just received it and I am concerned about what seems to be a loose piece inside the lens. When you rotate the lens top to bottom it thumps as something inside shifts. Now, I am fairly new to photography and this is only my third lens, so perhaps this is just not something I have encountered to this point. Is this standard for this lens or has it been damaged? The lens seems to work just fine on the camera, just fyi. Thanks!

Hi

As Greybeard has commented, I am sure that this is normal.  I have the 80mm macro lens which also has a linear motor and, when the camera is switched off or the lens is removed, it exhibits the same symptoms you describe.  Once switched on the internal mechanism engages the 'floating lens group' and the 'clunking' disappears. The 50-140mm zoom is similar although perhaps not so obvious. I hope that this helps.