Sensor Cleaning

I have a fuji XT1 with a large particle of "something' on the sensor.

I have used a blower it is still there and the sensor inbuilt into the camera won't remove it.

I have not done anything but use a blower.

Can I remove this myself?

What is the appropriate equipment to use?

or is this a professional only situation?

Regards

To any one that can assist,

Thanks 

Malyba

Hi, I'm sure this is a situation that everyone who owns a removable lens digital camera has come across the dreaded " Dust Bunnies" I have cleaned the sensor on my Nikon D3 but always with a little trepidation. There are quite a few products on the market but the one I found to work for me are the Visible Dust range. Although I have not yet attempted to clean my XT1 but if I had to I would go for the dry swab where you apply the cleaning solution yourself, but I would not attempt it without a sensor loupe to examine the sensors surface as do you rarely get it clean in the first attempt. Now this is my advice unless you feel one hundred percent confident in your ability and patience DON'T DO IT! Leave it to a qualified engineer because if you get it wrong and damage the sensor you're scuppered! It's very easy to scratch the sensor especially if you drag a lump of grit across its surface. There are all sorts of opinions on this subject some will tell you it's easy others will say don't do it and there are loads of videos on YouTube showing you how. I personally would not attempt to clean my XT1 pay the £50 and let a qualified person do it! I hope this helps?

... or you can educate yourself about the DIY options

http://www.fujirumors.com/how-to-clean-the-x-trans-sensor/

Got my Eyelead sensor cleaner today. Was a bit scared to try it at first, as the packaging gave no indication of whether it was the Sony/Fujifilm one or otherwise. Below are the before and after pics. Took most of the spots off. The most prominent of the remaining spots wouldn't come off at all (hopefully it's not a small scratch).

Before:

nP6Y2du.jpg

After:

xSDlaB3.jpg

and this is the video

@https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxKb_OqV7ng

Damaging the sensor is not completely impossible but you really have to do your very best to do that. Otherwise it is pretty unlikely.

Unlike cameras with a mirror and a shutter permanently closed, you can access the sensor in a pretty easy way.

Unlike Marlene, I wouldn’t be so confident that the shop does necessarily a good job, indeed I have personally experienced my shop in the Netherlands ( one of the largest chain in the country) sending my camera to the Fuji lab in Germany, the camera returned , after a total turnaround of 8 weeks, with yes, a cleaned sensor but a large hair trapped onto the sensor. Then they tried to solve the problem on the spot but couldn’t and decided to refund me the cost of the X-E1 (which was new) and I decided the to upgrade to a X-T1.

Edited by milandro

• 4 months later...

Damaging the sensor is not completely impossible but you really have to do your very best to do that. Otherwise it is pretty unlikely.

Sorry to bring up this thread, but I just have to add this.

I have cleaned many cameras and many sensors. I'll be honest, in case of Nikon D70s, I did on seevral occasions disassemble the camera from back, to gain a good access to the sensor and cleaned it to perfection.

There have, however, been two cases of complete failure. One, I massively scratched the sensor of Canon EOS 30D by dragging an obviously hard dust particle across the sensor.

And the second one, which hurts the most - while cleaning the sensor of X-E2 using the "wet" method with an "neutral" optical glass cleaning fluid, it damaged the protective glass over the sensor pretty badly.

I can now only shoot wide open.

And the repair options don't seem to be cheap; it makes more sense to just buy another E2.