Question using rear command dial.

I am a new fuji x-t10 owner and like the camera very much but I cannot get the rear command dial to change  the aperture that the book says you can do.

The only way I can change aperture is to rotate the aperture ring on the lens . Could someone tell me what I'm doing wrong.I only have the 18 to 55mm right now.

JT

I believe this is a miss print in the book, my xt-10 will not alter aperture using the command dial, unless using an XC lens, or the XF28 F/2.8 (unless in P mode where the front and rear dial operate as the same)

Setting the Lenses Aperture ring to A does not enable the rear dial.

*edit*

you my find this useful

http://www.fuji-x-forum.com/topic/2485-change-shutter-aperture-with-dials/

Edited by Tikcus

it is, try again.

I have done that on my X-E2 which is, essentially, the same as the X-T10

unfortunately the XT-10 can not use rear dial to change aperture for lenses with aperture ring, no amount of trying will make it work :P (tested 18, 35 F/1.4, and 60) camera set to Full manual exposure.

Also plenty of testing was conducted previously see old thread.

TBH I don't know why you would want to use rear dial and not aperture ring?

Because, with the aperture on the rear dial and shutter on the front dial, you can change them to any value you want with one hand, at the same time. It's absolutely standard on all SLRs.

But yes, you can't force it on the T10. Only lenses which don't have a dedicated aperture dial can have their aperture controlled by the rear dial. (Though you can reverse the shutter and aperture controls, so shutter is on the rear dial and aperture is on the front dial, if you like.) There is no way to have the aperture controlled by either dial if you are using a lens which already has its own aperture control. Same goes for all Fuji cameras.

If you ever think you've been able to control the aperture with a rear dial, when using a lens which does have its own aperture control, you're most likely thinking of the controls when using Program exposure; the rear and front dials can both be used to adjust the shutter/aperture balance, but neither controls only the aperture or shutter. You may also be thinking of the shutter control set to 'T', which allows the front dial to control the shutter speed completely. There isn't any similar setting for the aperture.

On both X-T1 ( with two dials, front and back) and X-E2 (only back dial of course because it hasn’t a front one ) I can control the aperture of my lenses set in A mode ( 18-55 and 60mm) .

I am doing this in Aperture priority, which is what I do the most. I have done this already 3 times because of your suggestions that it couldn’t be done. It is possible that the X-T10 differs from both my cameras but that would seem to be unlikely to have deprived this camera of this function. I never use it, but it is most definitely there.

I don’t know whether it might depend on the camera settings or not but I am absolutely positive that I am controlling both lenses on both camera as written above

Anyway, command dial settings can be changed in the menus.

Edited by milandro

I'm double-checking this with an X-T10 in my hands right now—well, it's on the desk because I can't hold a camera and type at the same time—and there's no way to do it.

With the lens set to A, you are not in aperture priority. If the shutter is set to A, too, you'll be in program. This allows you to change the shutter and the aperture through various combinations, to keep the same exposure. (E.g. increasing the shutter by a stop also opens the aperture by a stop; closing the aperture by one stop slows the shutter by a stop; etc.) That is done with both the front and rear dials; although the dials are marked as being shutter on front and aperture on rear, because changing one automatically changes the other by an equal amount, the result is both dials control both perimeters.

You can see which mode you're in by simply pressing the menu button once and loking at the top of the first screen.

If the aperture ring is on an f-stop number and the shutter is on A, it will say you're in 'aperture priority AE' and only the aperture ring can be used to change the aperture. If the lens does not have an aperture ring, the rear dial has to be used to adjust the aperture.

If the aperture ring is on A and the shutter is on an exposure time, it will say 'shutter priority AE' and the shutter dial and front dial will, together, control shutter speed. Front dial can adjust the shutter in 1/3rd stop steps up to 2/3rds of a stop faster or slower than the value indicated by the shutter dial; whole stop steps must be made with the top shutter dial.

If the aperture is set to A and the shutter is set to T, the menu will say 'shutter priority AE' and the shutter speed will be controlled with the front dial.

If the aperture is set to A and the shutter is set to A, the menu will say 'program AE' and both front and rear dials will change the mixture of aperture and shutter speed, in 1/3rd stop steps, to maintain the exposure as the camera meters it.

If the aperture i set to an f-stop number and the shutter is set to an exposure time or T, the menu will read 'manual'. Aperture will only be controlled by the ring on the lens, and shutter will be controlled by the top shutter dial for whole step changes, and the front dial for 1/3rd-stop changes. If the lens does not have an aperture ring, the rear dial controls aperture.
Pressing the front dial in, in any mode, will bring up the ISO menu. Pressing the rear dial in will enlarge the image preview/live view.

You can swap the front and rear dials around in the menu, under button/dial settings. This allows you to switch shutter adjustment to the rear dial and aperture adjustment—when available—to the front dial.

There is not, categorically, an option to control the aperture with the rear dial if the lens has an aperture ring.

There is a menu option for 'aperture setting', which is where you can adjust the dial settings for controlling aperture if the lens attached is one which does not have an aperture ring. If you attach a lens which does have its own aperture setting, this menu option will be greyed out and you are unable to select it.

Short recap: If your lens has an aperture ring, the rear dial can not control aperture. If your lens does not have an aperture ring, the rear dial is the only way to control aperture. If you have ever thought you've been able to use the rear dial to control the aperture of a lens which has an aperture ring, either you're thinking of Program AE mode, or you're simply completely remembering incorrectly.

Mine most certainly does on both cameras, X-T1 and X-E2 with the 18-55 and 60mm in Automatic with aperture priority. The aperture turns yellow and I can change it at will once  the lens is set on A.

So when both selectors (on shutter speed dial on A and on lens on A)  are on A you can operate the aperture by rear (and front on the X-T1) dial.

Edited by milandro

• 2 weeks later...

unfortunately the XT-10 can not use rear dial to change aperture for lenses with aperture ring, no amount of trying will make it work :P (tested 18, 35 F/1.4, and 60) camera set to Full manual exposure.

Also plenty of testing was conducted previously see old thread.

TBH I don't know why you would want to use rear dial and not aperture ring?

Shooting one handed out the window of my car. I do it ALLLL of the time..lol. also when i have something in my other hand. 

Just realized ...DUH [i should have read the fn manual] ...I cna do it on my 14 -- by putting lens ring on "A" ..that in fact does put it on "P" and i can use rear dial for changing apertures. Yay... Finally!!

ty for getting me on the right road.

[now lets see if i can get this going on my 18-55]...

Edited by blowabs

With Auto-ISO set to a ceiling of 12800, it most certainly does.

Milandro

HOw do you get hi ceiling to be 12,800?? All I can get in Auto-ISO is 6400 [i did have the capability but since resetting the camera I can not do it. I need to shoot in old dark barns soon. Ty very much!

With Auto-ISO set to a ceiling of 12800, it most certainly does.

How do you get the Auto-ISO ceiling to be 12,800, Milandro???.... My setting in Auto 1,2,3, all only go to 6400!!

ty ty ty

[HOW DO YOU DELETE DOUBLE POSTS??] TY

Edited by blowabs