Another Film Simulation : Fuji Pro400H?

GMK

It's not a rumour, but I would like to share my though.

I know lot of people love Fuji modern film simulation like Provia, Velvia, Classic Crome & Acros.

And lot of us shoot jpg because of the great quality of this in camera film simulation.

I was thinking since the release of the Acros & X-pro2, Fuji must be have ability to add another film simulation on the system.

I'm referring to Fuji's flagship film stock, The Pro400H which is the favourite film stock used nowadays by top world wedding photographer out there who still shoot with analog/film. I know there is lot of Lightroom preset to achieve this film look, but i'm sure none can defeat the quality of in camera film simulation like we have in The X-System.

My Idea is, I want to create a Poll and see how many of the Fujirumours reader love to have this film simulation on camera.

​As we know that Fuji really see this site closely, any news or request here are reads by them.
And with that i'm hopping that Fuji will have an idea to add this to the existing or future camera. or maybe they have think/plan about it?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Pro Neg Hi was already added in 2012.

Hi Flysurfer,

I know, but the one in Pro Neg Hi is not look any close to the real Fuji Pro 400H.

It lacks of the pastel tone as Pro400H.

I'm not sure which specific film do they use for the Pro Neg Hi in Fuji X-system.

As far as i know, Fuji have 160NS/C, 400H & 800Z.

I am not aware of any built-in film simulation that looks close to "real" analog film. Certain film simulations are inspired by specific analog films, but they aren't copies. If you want close copies of analog films, better get film packs from RNI or VSCO. I have hundreds of film simulations from these vendors, and most of them look pretty "real".

Edited by flysurfer

• 2 weeks later...

Having used AGFA film almost exclusively for decades, I'd really love those simulations. But understandably it'll never happen from FUJIFILM.

Yea, I love the JPGs I get out of my X-Pro2. I wish there were a few more film simulation choices for fun. My favorite films were:

Agfa Scala 200x

Fuji Velvia 100 (never used 100x and didn't use 50 so much)

Ilford FP4+

Kodak Kodachrome 64

If you want softer tons than the Pro Neg H, obviously Pro Neg S is your choice, just like Pro 400H and 160NS. You could also try using the Astia/soft colour profile, with the saturation and shadow controls reduced. The colour hues on that are a little closer to 400H—once you've desaturated it a bit—but it's still not exact. Just another variation of the same.

None of the film simulations (or just colour profiles, as every other manufacturer calls them) promise the same results as the film stock. That's why they generally describe the film simulations with less-specific names.

If you want to replicate a film look exactly, you have to remember that whatever film you're used to—in this case, 400H, but this applies for any other film stock, too—isn't just a linear hue and saturation grading like with digital. Hues and saturation vary wildly with exposure, temperature, how it's been stored, age, and of course, how you develop it.
So if you have or had one specific film look, you need to think about how you arrived at that look, then reverse-engineer it in your head to work out how you adjust the raw files to get the same results. Did you develop your film in such a way as it added saturation? Did you use it in any way which may have causes a hue shift? Did you routinely give it more exposure than you do with your digital files? (That one's very common.) Think about all these things, shoot raw, and adjust the raw files accordingly.