IBIS + OIS X-H2s and 50-140 f/2.8

Hi, I have x-h2s and 50-140 f/2.8 and lot of photos are shaked when I panning. For example I take a static shot on 140mm 1/60 and everything is sharp, but when I start panning for example with 1/125s I have a lot of photos skahed in axis which I panninng.  I maintain stable position and avoid unnessery shakes. I start thinking if it's ois+ibis fault becasue when i had sony camera  A77+70-300G which had only ibis i had only few photos shaked. So if i trun of ois on lens, ibis still will be working or completly shut off?

Edited by intercontinental

To answer your question, if you are using a Fujifilm lens with OIS, turning off the OIS switch on the lens will also turn off IBIS. If you are using a lens without OIS, you will be able to turn IBIS on and off in the menu: Shooting Setting > IS Mode.

What you are describing sounds odd though, are you trying to take a shot while panning or are you moving the camera and then waiting a bit for things to settle down and then taking the shot?

Nowadays some folks claim that you do not need to turn off the image stabilizers when you are using tripods, even going so far as to say that if the tripod is low grade, then it will still transmit small vibrations which you can avoid by having IBIS / OIS turned on. Yet others say it is still best to turn the is stuff off while using tripods.

p.s. welcome to the forum.

Edited by jerryy

I'm tracking airplanes, taking photos during paning . I use AF-C, ES and 15 or 20FPS, subject tracking off, center point or center zone.

In static shots OIS is very efficent because I can take sharp photos on 140mm and 1/10s but with paning maybe the best option is to keep up shutter times 2xfocal lenght. Today i took a series of photos on the times close to focal lenght. Many of those was shaked only in small areas. For example plane was sharp but nose or winglet or end of tail was slightly shaked. Maybe i have to use 30 or 40 fps?

Ah, okay, you are panning while hand-holding and not while using a panning tripod.

You mention you are using the electronic shutter. That may cause you a bit of trouble:

https://fujifilm-dsc.com/en-int/manual/x-h2s/menu_shooting/shooting_setting/

scroll down to the Shutter Type section for the notes on shooting moving subjects.

I have heard that increasing the fps does make the focusing sensor work better, because it takes more samples, but I do not know for certain one way or the other.

Just to cover all bases, have you considered using a smaller aperture (higher f-stop number)? Even with zone focusing, too small of a f-stop number will still blur things outside the immediate focus area, which can be tricky to center on a moving object.

Using the idea of shutter speeds twice the focal length should still work, that is what folks did before IS, OIS and IBIS came along.😀

10 hours ago, jerryy said:

Ah, okay, you are panning while hand-holding and not while using a panning tripod.

You mention you are using the electronic shutter. That may cause you a bit of trouble:

https://fujifilm-dsc.com/en-int/manual/x-h2s/menu_shooting/shooting_setting/

I know about this issue but i start using ES becasue I thought that X-H2S is designed specially for shooting moving objects as it has sensor with the fastes readout on a market and drive modes 30fps and 40fps avalible only in ES. And in ES you doesn't have blackout, freezing or low frame rate in evf during  continous shooting.

But i'll try do few test to chceck 30 and 40 fps and also MS, becase to date I used only 15 and 20fps.

Me friend who shoot also airplanes with Canon R5 use ES and had problems but related to the IS which was fixed by updating lens firmware. That's why i strated suspecting that may OIS can do bad job during handheld paning.

I'm guessing what for example do the subject tracking. I found that after turn it on, you can't change metering mode, can't change limiter in camera, and maybe there are more settings blocked, maybe it changes how OIS work during paning?

Edited by intercontinental

Well it could be some oddity from the electronic shutter, or image stabilizers, I have read from several sports photographers that turn off IS, etc. regardless of which manufacturer makes the camera. Or it could be as simple as needing more DOF.

You could try turning on subject tracking and head over to the airport and methodically test that as well as the several other things that were mentioned.

But without any images to see the issues, we are pretty much flailing around, stumbling in the dark -so to speak- if something works it would be a one off bit of luck rather than a deliberate understood fix for the problem.

• 5 months later...
On 3/27/2023 at 9:27 PM, intercontinental said:

I found setting IS MODE BOOST in MOVIE SETTING menu and i'm curious is it takes effect also in still photos?

Choose the image stabilization level.

Option Description
[ON] Suitable for hand-held shooting with no panning.
[OFF] Suitable for hand-held shooting with panning.

you could try switching PASM dial to a photo mode and see what happens to those menu options.

My guess is they will disappear/ grey out, which might answer the question ?