Lenses with “soul”

bRYEan

I’ve been shooting with the X series since the beginning and have collected several great lenses along the way. But two of those lenses - the 35mm 1.4 and the 56mm 1.2 have an intangible magic to the images they create that just feel functionally different than my other lenses. 

Have you found any Fuji lenses (or 3rd party) have that same sense of “soul” as these two?

Somehow, the 35 f/1.4's magic never appealed to me, even though I use it regularly. But to my eyes, it's "merely" an incredibly compact, but optically slightly compromised 35mm lens.

The (old) 23 f/1.4 and 60 f/2.4, on the other hand, I find absolutely lovely. (Actually, my true magic lens was the Sony RX1's, although mated to a less appealing body. The 23 f/1.4 is the closest I've ever come to recreating that magic.) 

Basically all lenses with optical flaws renders organic (not clinical, as lenses with perfect optical corrections), so such called "magic" can be found in many, many lenses. Even the cheapest ones, like fully manual TTArtisan 35/1.4, or TTArtisan 25/2 ;)

• 3 weeks later...

After my recent trip, I have to say the Loawa 9mm f/2.8 impressed me with the images it rendered.   It had a “painterly” quality that I am liking.  

Edited by Edp