Fujifilm working on a XF 50mmF2 lens – Trusted Sources

...and yet, they maybe doing it even without our permission.

Maybe they know something that we don’t?

I find the concept of “ asking for” any product interesting. Marketing divisions of all manner of companies have done market research for a very long time, long before customers were ever active on internet. THis lens didn’t come out from nowhere, it would have had a developing of at least a couple of years.

I don’t think that they would do it it there wouldn’t be a good reason that it would have buyers.

Commerce is not a democracy where one votes beforehand with a referendum but we vote with our wallets. If we like it we buy it, if we don’t we don’t.

I am sure that they (although nobody is always getting it right) might be more qualified to know what their customer want than most of us.

Also, despite its popularity, FR or any other forum only ever represent a minute part of the market.

I had the Sony 50mm F/1.8  APS-C lens (SEL50F18), when I had a Sony camera, I loved that lens, probably still one of the best value for money lenses I ever got (£200), and was a nice length for portraits.

I don't own the 56 F/1.2, I do own the 60 F/2.4.

Would I buy a 50mm F/2 considering the other lenses I own, probably not unless it has something special about it; It's only half a stop faster than the 60mm, for portraits the 60mm is fast enough DOF will be similar.

If I didn't own either, and price was similar then maybe, depending on what he lens was like when it is released.

I am sure there will be a market for the lens, especially considering that the 35mm F/2 has been such a success (at least with the reviews, and comments)

I think FUJIFILM is doing this lens because the optical formula is super-easy, which means very little R&D cost. Thus it is another product on the shelf that can be sold for a profit. Plus WR'ing it will be an added attraction.

despite what one can think, fuji developers have already declared that they cannot simply use an old design for a digital camera because the sensor, unlike the film, works really badly with nays not perpendicular, so they can use the old design as a base but the lens needs to be redesigned.

Mr. Takashi Ueno said"

“...Firstly, the angle of light that film and imaging sensors can receive differ from each other. Film can receive light at the slanted angle of up to 45 degrees without any problem, but in case of the digital camera, the light needs to be as perpendicular to the sensor as possible. Slanted angle light causes mixed colors and therefore the real colors sometimes cannot be reproduced. In order to receive the light perpendicular to the sensor, it is important to make the rear glass element on each lens as big as possible to put the light beams parallel from the outlet of the light to the sensor. Finally, the back-focus distance should be shortened as much as possible to eliminate the degradation in image quality..."

Edited by milandro

• I think it's a wonderful addition and perfect for travel/adventure photography.  The Sony 50mm 1.8 was mentioned above for being a great value.  That lens is also about half the weight of Fuji's 56 1.2 which really makes a difference when you're hiking miles into the backcountry.  If Fuji's new lens is substantially lighter and maintain's the great image quality of the 56, i would definitely buy one.

I am absolutely interested in this lens. One of the reasons I went mirrorless was because of the smaller lenses, my first MLC being the GF 1.

I love the size and quality of the Olympus lenses and if their cameras had an apsc sensor, I would not have switched.

Since I switched to Fuji, my dream has always been for Fuji to make beautiful smaller lenses like Olympus, even at f2, not too many complaints about summicron lenses being too slow at f2

The Fuji 35 f2 is a beautiful lens and although some mistakenly say cheaper, is just as well made and faster focusing than the more expensive 1.4. I have both but haven't used the 1.4 much since I purchased the f2.

So yes, I'd love to see a series of smaller, beautiful f2 series of lenses from Fuji. From wide to moderate tele.

Wouldn't it be a 56mm F2 to be a low cost version of the F1.2?  So that the magical FF focal length of 85mm is still delivered?

Yeah, 50mm on APS-C is not really close to 85 or 90... try 75mm FOV. I'm sure it will be a nice lens and all, but if you are used to the 60 (or even the 56), you will certainly notice the difference.

Edited by Max_Elmar

• 2 weeks later...

Nobody asked for this

I did - somewhere - maybe not here though.  50-60mm is a very handy size for a general purpose lens.  If you don't do portraits you are paying for unused capabilities with the 56mm.  If you don't do macro the 60mm though of reasonable price has slow AF and perhaps a little bulkier than need be.  A compact 50mm companion to the new 35mm f/2 makes a lot of sense.

As someone who has been in a lens buying frenzy, none of the three that are touted to be announced on my birthday hold any interest for me at all. It would seem that they are chasing the success of the 35mm f/2.0. I'm not sure that design ethos will translate to other lenses, but time will tell, I suppose. 

Edited by Tommyboy

I like the direction Fuji is going with these very small, very light f2 lenses.

For the fly fishing stuff I shoot the weight in the pack is a big deal and why I'm interested in the Fuji system.

I was loaned an XT-1 and the 35 f2, 56 1.2 and a zoom and found the 35 spent most of the time on the camera.

The image quality is very good and the whole set-up felt weightless compared to my DSLR's.

Hopefully there's more of this coming.

I don't expect to get the f2 lenses since I have the 1.4's but I totally support the development of them. Lots of people do want the smaller lenses. I hope Fuji will not stop development of other lenses though and I would love to see version2 of the 1.4 lenses with WR and faster AF.