X100T Sharpness of 23mm Lens

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I bought a gently used X100T a few months ago, and I began to notice that the center of the image was deadly sharp, but the left and right sides of the image were quite soft. The left was worse than the right. This was easily still seen at ƒ5.6, which is 3 stops down from maximum aperture. In my opinion, the lens should be performing well at that ƒ stop.

The fellow that I bought the camera from gave me the original purchase receipt, and the camera was still under warranty. I called Fuji, and to their credit, they said they would still honor the warranty. I sent it in with some test prints and example images on a disk.

I received the camera back, and the repair department wrote that they had replaced the lens. 

When I test any lens for sharpness, I have a routine where I carefully put the camera on a tripod, level it out, and shoot outdoors at a local university campus with very detailed masonry and brickwork architecture. I haven't had a chance yet - due to unbelievable rains in our area - to do a complete test on the repaired camera, but I had a chance to at least shoot the side of a very weathered barn. The lens is much sharper than before repairs, but the left side is still a bit soft at 5.6 and really doesn't clean up until ƒ11.

If I can get a decent day I'll try and post an example image from my test routine. 

Just wondering if X100 owners have seen good overall sharpness in their cameras and whether my camera might have a another problem. I'm wondering if a digital sensor could have shifted so that it is not perpendicular to the lens axis, or something like that.

Just wondering if X100 owners have seen good overall sharpness in their cameras and whether my camera might have a another problem. I'm wondering if a digital sensor could have shifted so that it is not perpendicular to the lens axis, or something like that.

I haven't seen anything as noticeable or uneven as you've described. Mine is generally soft wide open but quite sharp after F2.8.

Blimey - this is well beyond what I do with any camera.

The pictures always seem to achieve what I want within the confines of a 23mm lens. I hope the tests provide results you're happy with.

The Fuji glass has always been the best I've ever used, including a range of Canon L stuff and Macro lenses.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By HansP
      I have a focus problem with my XF 10-24mm lens.
      If I manually focus, using the hyper-focal distance, at 10mm and f11, the resulting image is only sharp in the centre. If I set the focus close to infinity, the whole image is sharp. In both cases the distance indicator shows front to back sharpness. I have to focus very carefully to get a sharp result. This is my second lens which is better than the first one I had but at 10mm I should be able to get a sharp result no matter what distance is selected.
      Has anyone the same problems?
    • By Matthew Lee Studio
      I’m currently taking photographs of my paintings. When I look in the viewfinder there is a white color or white filter that I don’t know how to get rid of.  It’s there in all  3 shooting modes.  But it’s not on the rear LCD screen.  I’ve uploaded a video to illustrate. I tried reset of shooting menu- no change. ND filter off.  Macro off. Any thoughts?  

IMG_7636.MOV
    • By illusie
      van abbe museum for contemporary art
      eindhoven, netherlands
      fuji x100t, 1/100 sec, f/2, iso 1250
    • By illusie
      shopping centre piazza
      eindhoven, netherlands
      fuji x100f, 1/100 sec, f/4, iso 2500
    • By Marshall Timkii Hoang
      hi guy, I'm using X-h1, X-t1 with few lenses. I wonder should I buy an X100T or an extra 23mm f/2.0 lens. I'm gonna do street photography and sometime travel?

Thank you guys. 
    • Thank you for checking, I have just observed the same behavior with the 35mm f/2 - X-S10 with v2.10 chooses 1/100s. I guess I will use the specific minimum shutter speed or simply force myself to use the M mode more. 
    • Can I ask, what type of audio are you looking to capture?
    • Hi All, This is my first post. Hope this hasn't been covered before. I have something I'm trying to figure out on my x100v. I typically have my camera in natural live view with "Preview Exposure" off because I don't like seeing my exposure settings reflected in the image in the EVF. However, it seems that, in this setup, the live histogram no longer adjusts based on my exposure settings... Is there any way to get the histogram to show results based on what the resulting image will be without having the EVF brighten/darken based on exposure settings? With "preview exposure" on, I find it hard to compose-- especially in certain situations when trying to protect the HL's. Thanks very much! Collin
    • Hi all,Second post here would appreciate the input. I just purchased an X-T3 and X-H1.The EVFs on paper are meant to be the same with same refresh rates when in boost mode.The sizes are also meant to be almost exactly the same at 0.50 inches X-T3 and 0.48 inches X-H1 with the same resolution.However the X-H1 EVF feels smaller (bigger black border around the edges) and not as clear. It also gives me eye strain after just a few minutes. (I have adjusted diopter). It feels like its further away if that makes sense?Has anyone else noticed a difference between the EVFs when using them side by side because on paper they are meant to be the same. Perhaps its just this particular X-H1.Thanks,
    • I must have activated the wrong setting because now when I switch to the OVF the white windows stays for a second and then completely disappears. Any idea how to get it back? Thank you all so much. 🙂