How well does X-Trans Sensors work with Lightroom 5.6

Hermelin

Been using lightroom 5.6 for a while and wondering if the X-TRANS sensors works will with this version of LR. I know Adobe been getting better at reading fuji sensors but my version isn't the latest exactly

I use X-Pro1 at the moment so it's the first X-Trans sensor if it makes any difference.

I'm pretty sure X-Trans I and II will work with LR 5.6. I recently procured the X-Pro2 and had to move up to LR 6, which supports both uncompressed and lossless compressed.

In summary, LR will work fine with X-Trans files, but I was never that happy with the way LR rendered them. The LR Classic Chrome profile was not close at all to Fuji's, and I just didn't like the way the files looked very much. Thomas Fitzgerald's sharpening presets were very handy, but on balance I think Capture One Pro 9 does a much better job than LR.

In summary, LR will work fine with X-Trans files, 

Not so; It seems to be entirely dependent on if your camera is on the 'supported cameras' list for the particular version of Lightroom you're using. I'm running Lightroom 5.7.1. (&, at the moment, cannot run a newer version due to system constraints of my 9 year old iMac) & it will not touch RAF files from my X-T10 (although JPEG's are fine) whereas (apparently) it's happy with RAF files from an X-T1.

When I try to import X-T10 RAF files LR says "Preview unavailable for this file" & if I then click 'Import' I get a warning saying "The file is not recognised by the raw support format in Lightroom". I read on another forum that there's a workaround involving using an EXIF editor to change the 'camera type' info in the EXIF data to fool Lightroom into thinking it's looking at a file from a supported camera, but that seems like a complete PITA.

As far as I can see my only remaining options, until I can upgrade my computer & LR, are to convert the RAF files into DNG which LR is happy with or use another converter such as Iridient Developer / RawTherapee etc to do the fine tuning on RAF files prior to importing them to Lightroom.

Moral of story:-  Don't automatically assume Lightroom will work with your X-Trans file - check to see if your particular camera is on the supported list for your particular version of Lightroom.

Not so; It seems to be entirely dependent on if your camera is on the 'supported cameras' list for the particular version of Lightroom you're using. I'm running Lightroom 5.7.1. (&, at the moment, cannot run a newer version due to system constraints of my 9 year old iMac) & it will not touch RAF files from my X-T10 (although JPEG's are fine) whereas (apparently) it's happy with RAF files from an X-T1.

When I try to import X-T10 RAF files LR says "Preview unavailable for this file" & if I then click 'Import' I get a warning saying "The file is not recognised by the raw support format in Lightroom". I read on another forum that there's a workaround involving using an EXIF editor to change the 'camera type' info in the EXIF data to fool Lightroom into thinking it's looking at a file from a supported camera, but that seems like a complete PITA.

As far as I can see my only remaining options, until I can upgrade my computer & LR, are to convert the RAF files into DNG which LR is happy with or use another converter such as Iridient Developer / RawTherapee etc to do the fine tuning on RAF files prior to importing them to Lightroom.

Moral of story:-  Don't automatically assume Lightroom will work with your X-Trans file - check to see if your particular camera is on the supported list for your particular version of Lightroom.

don't automatically assume everyone uses a nearly decade old computer like you do.  lol.  

For 99.9% of us lightroom does work with X-T10 RAF files.

• 4 weeks later...

I have LR 5.7 and X-E2, and when I open a RAF file to process it, LR doesn't offer any Classic Chrome profile but only the original Fuji ones (Provia, Velvia, Astia etc.) and Adobe Camera.

Modifying the exif data will allow me to use CC profile?

Can't speak for 5.6 specifically, but whatever the latest version is—just subscribe to CC, it's easier and dirt cheap for LR + PS combined in the photography package—works absolutely fine. By that I mean, no better or worse than any other software I've used for Fuji files. I did a thread a while back showcasing the (lack of) difference between raw files processed in Lightroom version-whatever-it-was-at-the-time and the in-camera .jpgs. Every now and then I notice one small band of colour may not be 100% right, but then, when I try other software, they're also screwing things up, just in different ways. My general experience is LR is the best for colour bu the sharpening and noise reduction isn't well optimised for Fuji, Iridient does high frequency detail better but the colour profile is never as close as LR's, and every other program is somewhere between those two.

Basically, no program is perfect. It just hasn't been worth the investment yet for any company to really develop for Fuji files the way they do for other manufacturers'. Whichever program you use—or even if you opt for the in-camera processing—you're going to be making some kind of compromise, be it colour accuracy, high frequency detail, noise reduction, or whatever else. I've ended up sticking with Lightroom because, although it's far from perfect and needs to be improved in many areas, it's still the best for file organisation, so I'd always be using it anyway. Why open each file in Lightroom, Photoshop, and a third program, when just Lightroom and Photoshop will do?