Those extra 8mp...

Hi

As an X-T1 user I wanted to reach out to some XP2 users and ask whether they had any noticeable improvement in practical image quality, particular printing, from the bump in megapixels. For example do you now feel your achievable print sizes have increased from x to y?

Thanks,

Daniel

When the first copies of the X-pro-2 started circulating among the beta testers, I asked the same question to those among the testers who might have been testing the camera on prints. I thought that would have been the exact first thing that I would have tested if I were one of these testers.

I got no factual answers but got flamed instead.

Nobody was able to say, and more importantly to show us, whether there was any print that could be done with the X-pro-2 that couldn’t be made with the X-T1.

Since then, several comparative tests have been published. They appear to show that the X-pro-2 has minimal edge, but is that so on real world prints? 

Personally, although I like the joy stick, I will be holding on to my X-T1 and X-E2, and wait for generation 3. I doubt that I would be printing anything larger than my camera can actually manage.

I have an X-T1 and an X-Pro2. The 8 MP's are not important to me. However, rather than bigger print sizes, I do like having more room for cropping. 

The joystick makes a huge difference. 

The X-Pro2 is faster: it wakes faster, turns on faster, blackout time is less and AF is faster and works a bit better in low light.

The EVF refresh rate is faster too... and that also makes a difference in quick moving situations.

Generally, the reviews have been saying that the high iso performance of the X-Pro2 is a bit better than the X-T1. I haven't shot them side by side enough to have a definitive opinion, but after about 1500 images shot with the X-Pro2, I think the IQ of the X-Pro2 is a small bit better. However, I felt happy with the X-T1 in the first place so I'm not really concerned.

I like the location of the review image button much more on the X-Pro2. My thumb easily hits it without looking. The X-Pro2 is easily my favorite of the two, even though it is missing the tilt screen. That is mainly due to the better performance... not the 8MP

I'd think if you bought an X-Pro2, it wouldn't be for the 8mp's.  It'd be for the processing power, the speed, the dual card slots, The better EVF, the better layout, the updated profiles and the new AF Modes (all of which you don't have on the Pro1).

At least those are all the reasons I'd buy one.

Thanks for the responses. I should have been a bit clearer, my main interest in the IQ is as a perspective XT2 owner, coming from an XT1.

My quick hands on in a camera shop didn't notice any quantum leaps from a 50% increase in resolution but the joystick was a revelation. I like the idea of being able to crop a bit more, or print A2 at 300dpi but I was curious as to real users experiences with the IQ.

The ergonomic improvements will be a huge part, but some new features like better video, souped up AF etc might be required to get large numbers of XT1 users trading in and up for the XT2 in my opinion.

The ergonomic improvements will be a huge part, but some new features like better video, souped up AF etc might be required to get large numbers of XT1 users trading in and up for the XT2 in my opinion.

The joystick, 2 card slots, faster all around performance and yes better video (X-Pro2 video > X-T1) are plenty that for me it is a no brainer. 

Each person will have to decide for themselves. For me, the moment the X-T2 is available, I'll be ordering it and selling the X-T1... I love my X-T1 in quite a few ways, but the performance is just a bit too slow. The X-Pro2 addresses that and I'm confident the X-T2 will equal or exceed it.

With the x-pro2, I can shoot "further" with a tele lens. When I crop tighter, details are better defined and preserved.

Color wise, both cameras are very close. White balance are better handled especially in odd lighting. Somehow it translates the lighting much more accurately. However in normal  cases, you may not be able to tell them apart.

If you are happy with your X-T1, I'd recommend you to wait for the X-T2. It will definitely be the Fujifilm's speed demon.

For Pro1 shooters, it's a no brainer as it has better AF and is a much more responsive machine.

I held out for quite a while, but even though I have an XE-1. XE-2, X-T1 & X-T10, I decided go ahead with the X-Pro2.   Agree with most it wasn't so much the extra resolution but the performance gains and joystick.  I have printed many 24" x 36" prints from the 16mp sensors and they look great.  The extra headroom for cropping is handy.  Right now the X-Pro2 is my favorite body.