I’ve found the X-T5 to be a capable camera for motor sports.

Edp

I was at Sebring this last weekend, and took the opportunity to put the x-t5 and the viltrox 75mm f/1.2 (both with current firmware) through its paces.   I’m happy to report that the AF system was easily up to the task.   

The shots I’ve managed to finish processing are here…

Sebring 2023

I had also rented a xf150-600 from lensrental.com to see if I would like it.  It unfortunately too much lens, and offered few chances for being used.  The 75mm focal length was near perfect.  I did get to also use my XF 18mm f1.4 r lm wr which is a stellar lens as well.   

Edited by Edp

I’m new to Fuji, coming from a life-long affair with Canon.   My only experience with Fuji has been with this X-T5 (which has been pure love from the get go).  

As far as the Viltrox 75mm goes, it’s going to be an iconic lens for the x-mount (in my opinion of course).  Strictly speaking on IQ and build, it’s a must have, but at the price?   Then it becomes an absolute no-brainer.  I’ll be surprised if the price of 549   doesn’t go up by 100 within a year.   It’s a flat out bargain.   

Thanks for the kind words on the images!

Edited by Edp

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/24/2023 at 3:37 AM, Edp said:

I was at Sebring this last weekend, and took the opportunity to put the x-t5 and the viltrox 75mm f/1.2 (both with current firmware) through its paces.   I’m happy to report that the AF system was easily up to the task.   

The shots I’ve managed to finish processing are here…

Sebring 2023

I had also rented a xf150-600 from lensrental.com to see if I would like it.  It unfortunately too much lens, and offered few chances for being used.  The 75mm focal length was near perfect.  I did get to also use my XF 18mm f1.4 r lm wr which is a stellar lens as well.   

I would love to see these pics. The Viltrox 75mm will likely be my next lens purchase and I just picked up an xt5. Can you repost a working link or some pictures here?

10 hours ago, AKA Wayne said:

I would love to see these pics. The Viltrox 75mm will likely be my next lens purchase and I just picked up an xt5. Can you repost a working link or some pictures here?

Here you go.  You can click on the photo details icon to see the exif. 

https://edwardpalisoc.smugmug.com/Motorsports/Sebring-2023/

Editing is/was mainly pre-processing the raw files using DxO’s Pure Raw3, which automatically brings the processed image into Lightroom classic,  I then crop the frame to best accentuate the sense of action.   Then I’ll lightly touch up with dehaze, clarity, texture, followed by adjusting blacks, whites, and shadows to bring out detail if needed.   That’s about it.  The sensor in the X-T5 has far exceeded my expectations for color and IQ compared to what I was used to with my Canon gear (which has been sold off with the exception of two pieces). Panning with the X-T5 was even easier and more accurate than even the 5D mkIII I had been using before.  The Viltrox was spot on without hunting whether I back button focused or used AF-C with subject detection/automobiles (which worked very well, but I went back to back button focusing when there was a tight pack of cars.   

Be careful with f/1.2 - on the Fuji camera, it’s an insanely shallow depth of field.   You can easily be misled that the lens isn’t sharp focusing.   The range of what’s in focus can be measures in inches/cm.   Prep your camera for what your lighting is like, purposely target a shutter speed no faster than 1/320 depending on the car speeds and panning arc sweep (those cars were passing me at 160mph while 75 feet away), and adjust as needed.   I keep my iso as low as possible and generally shoot at  base 125 to maximize the dynamic range of the sensor.   Remember to shoot ETTR, and compensate if it’s a bright day.  It’s crazy how much detail is hidden in the shadows with this sensor.  

Edited by Edp

Thanks for the excellent analysis. Ive been considering getting Pure DXO Raw 3. Looks like you get great results. Just curious. Do you use the camera profiles in Lightroom? I use the in camera sims and shoot Raw + fine jpg. Seems a se.not to ise the film sims but looks like you are.gettomg amazing results with your method. Thanks again for the insight. 

Personally I don’t generally use profiles or presets, though on occasion I’ve tried them out, and sometimes have used them as a starting point, but that’s fairly rare.   I shoot raw and have used some film sims from Fuji weekly, but maybe it’s my OCD that keeps me shooting mostly raw only then tweak each image individually.   I tend to enjoy that process almost as much as taking the image.   Kind of seeing each deserve its own attention.  I do have a core approach (generally described above), then adjust based on what supports the composition.   Sometimes color distracts, so I’ll desaturate or go full B/W, other times focus on the color balance.   Not sure if that helps.