I've been personally testing SilkyPix V7 Pro lately, and once I got my head round the quirks, I've really been enjoying the photos it makes!

When used in conjunction with my X-Pro1, I find that I can get quite a pleasant (to my eye YMMV) 'filmic' look to the images.

Here's a couple I liked enough to put on Flickr

26632303474_632c550abc_b.jpgThe Follower by Adam Bonn, on Flickr

27242217235_48fb53ca6d_b.jpgLow Lights by Adam Bonn, on Flickr

The second one got explored, so I guess the flickr bots liked it too!! :D

To begin with I found the images SLIGHTLY flat compared to C1 (I don't really use LR)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

But it wasn't a big problem

Hmmm I don't seem to be able to upload any other files... I'll try in a reply!

I found that using the H/S sliders and contrast got me the look I wanted!

Shadow and highlights tools are perfectly reasonable and functional IMO...

I'm not obsessed at all with sharpness....

But in SP it's pretty good IMO, and (more importantly to ME) micro contrast is decent

from the above shot

from the above shot

SilkyPix gets a 'bad rap' amongst a lot of Fuji users,

But it's worth (IMHO) remembering they are Fujifilm's software partner....

Of course that doesn't mean it HAS to be good, but it should mean that Fuji share demosaicing info with them, and they can implement this into their products

FWIW, I'm glad I gave SP7 a try, and I'm please with the results in context of what I like, what I shoot etc

Of course YMMV

But I think it's worth mentioning that there are other choices out there!!

Oh and in case you're wondering.... NONE of these shots used a Fuji Film Simulation!!

Thanks for looking!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Adam,

I agree with you, Silkypix should be able to produce very good results. Only bad thing is that Fuji only offers a very old version of Silkypix wile there have been a lot of updates and newer versions. I'm still at version 6.0.25 and tis is far better compared to the version dowloaded from the Fuji website. I like to give version 7 Pro a try. It is very different to Lightroom but the results are as good and sometimes superior. But it took some time to get used to the way it works.

Jan

• 2 weeks later...

Does SilkyPix support 10 bit color displays? I've invested in a system, including monitors, graphics card, OS (win v10/ 64 bit), which do. But I also understand that all links in the chain must support the standard, which means the application (SilkyPix in this case) must as well in order to take full advantage of the capabilities of the system.

• 5 months later...

I tried the free download over the weekend. Couldn't find how to save an RAF file in another format!

Not enough utility in a converter that won't convert.

If I have read your problem correctly its under the Development header. One Scene Development (Shortcut Ctrl+S) This gives you jpeg, tiff or other formats. Adam Bonn, a member of this forum has a fantastic four part series of articles on using RFC.

https://adambonn.com/my-love-affair-with-the-fujifilm-x-pro1/xp2-thirty-seven/

This has all the information you could need to come to grips with the software.

Good luck

Eric

If I have read your problem correctly its under the Development header. One Scene Development (Shortcut Ctrl+S) This gives you jpeg, tiff or other formats. Adam Bonn, a member of this forum has a fantastic four part series of articles on using RFC.

https://adambonn.com/my-love-affair-with-the-fujifilm-x-pro1/xp2-thirty-seven/

This has all the information you could need to come to grips with the software.

Good luck

Eric

Thank you Eric

I need to sit down with the converter open on a laptop and Bonn's article open on a tablet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

SP (RFC one and V7) can render to both .Tiff and Jpeg

For a single rendering

Click this icon (or ctrl-s in windows)

To reserve images for batch development (for example as you review and edit them)

Click this button (for each image)

Once you have selected the images (which you can also do from the thumbnail view)

Click this button

and all the images that have a little tick on them will be "developed"

• 2 weeks later...

You are all showing some very fine results with some very nice shots.

I just tried to download the latest LR from Adobe and the flaky installer/downloader kept abandoning me w/o useful error messages - I think it is an omen that I should try Silky Pix and Capture 1 while waiting for Iridient for windows.

About  the Silky Pix GUI - It is inconceivable that there is anything worse than LR out there. I own 5.5 and never learned to embrace the disconnect between file system and whatever it is that the program does.

Apparently I downloaded the SilkyPix 7 for the VERY visually impaired people, my one monitor is 2560 x 1440 the other 1920x1200 - Unfortunately the menus/GUI is sized for 1280x768 - that is everything is HUGE. This does not happen with v2 from Fuji or any other program. Does anyone know about this bug?

I started a thread with settings for the Raw File Converter EX2 that is based on Silkypix on dpreview: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4089863

I did some comparison between Lightroom, Irident Developer, Fujis Out of Camera JPEGs and EX2 there. I found EX2 a very capable solution that can compete with IR for sharpness and for colors with Fuji. So I decided to switch my workflow and use EX2 instead of LR.