X-pro 2 unimpressive AF

So, basically it seems like there are two explanations.

1. Fujifilm XT1 and XPro2 cameras are incapable of autofocusing correctly on the targets that you used, and therefore all of the other people getting fine autofocus results are crazy or dense. Or...

2. There was something about your test that was unique that you can't understand and that none of us can figure out, given nothing more than your subjective narrative.

It is very subjective, but still it's peculiar that both x100t and x70 nailed the test in the same environment. Ahh, well, will try again once the x-t2 arrives and I have to decide which of the 35mm's I will purchase with it.

I am going to assume that the viewfinder diopter adjustment was NOT set to your vision and that the images did not appear to be in focus. I have an X-T1 with the XF 35mm f2.0 and the XF 18-55mm f2.8-4.0 and the both lenses focus instantaneously and spot on in that circumstance - even if I step into a darker room. I find it amazing just how sharp the exact point of focus is when I shoot either lens wide open and inspect the images in Lightroom...every time!

Just a thought...    :)

Edited by snype719

Remember that you can set the camera up to take a photo even if lens has not achieved focus. I think there is a focus priority setting for taking pics, and an opposite setting (shutter priority of something like that).

I have my menu focus setting so that the camera will not take a picture unless the camera has focus lock.  This helps to prevent most (but not all) out of focus pic's (due to my errors).   Maybe the camera was set to allow pic's to be taken when focus had not yet been achieved?

Peter Gabriel, I use my X-Pro2 all day shooting stills on film sets, and the images from my 35mm f2 are tack sharp wide open, close focus distant focus and everything in between. Maybe trying a camera, with an unknown history of messing with the controls, at a camera store is not the best test.  I shoot 1200 to 1500 images a day on set, and when I chuck out stuff it's because the actors blinked, were doing strange things with their faces or they moved and are blurry; but rarely focus. The quality off the 24 meg chip is vastly superior to my 16meg X100T, which I haven't used at all on set since getting the X-Pro2. Lovely camera but simply not as good. But so darned cute I can't let go!

All my other Fuji lenses are equally excellent, especially the 18-55 OIS and the 50-140 OIS, and my 14mm f2. These are workhorses; I use them in stupidly low light conditions (typically ISO 1600  to ISO 3200, 1/60th wide open) and the focus success is far greater than I ever got with my Nikons. I have no hesitation about recommending the system, and look forward to adding the XT-2 when it arrives, which it surely will.

Edited by DeeDee Stills

It's not in most cases. It also depends on which lens you use it with.

One thing sorely missed is AF Servo and face tracking. Useful when photographing moving object.

So, with Pro1, one has to revert to pre focusing like on a manual lens sometimes.

Human error or not, I have experienced that it seems if two object under the focus square is in different distances, the AF will always pick the object that is furthest from the camera, never the nearest one. In the enclosed pic of a rake, the central focus spot was on the rake, but the camera locked on the grass in the background as seen through the sprockets.  

I have seen this several times, and in such situations it seems like manual focus is the only option. My Canons behaved opposite as they always focused on the nearest object if in doubt, and I would say that Canon's solution is better than Fuji's. The issue is similar with all Fuji's I have owned, X-Pro1, X-T1 and X-Pro2.

;-D Hans

Human error or not, I have experienced that it seems if two object under the focus square is in different distances, the AF will always pick the object that is furthest from the camera, never the nearest one. In the enclosed pic of a rake, the central focus spot was on the rake, but the camera locked on the grass in the background as seen through the sprockets.  

I have seen this several times, and in such situations it seems like manual focus is the only option. My Canons behaved opposite as they always focused on the nearest object if in doubt, and I would say that Canon's solution is better than Fuji's. The issue is similar with all Fuji's I have owned, X-Pro1, X-T1 and X-Pro2.

;-D Hans

This happens frequently for me as well. Been taking lots of flowers, and getting the background in focus. My X-E2 never does this. Hopefully a firmware update can fix this. 

;-D Hans

That is exactly what happens, but not with the x-pro 1, x100t and x70. They all chose the nearest object, my hand. Edited by petergabriel

;-D Hans

It would seem so on several occasions. I can say it happens a lot with the xf60 macro! :lol: even though it is for close objects! I notice it happens more if we use a wider focusing square.

And I can say for sure it happens to the Nikon D7000.

did you shoot in continuous mode - CH or CL? If yes, here are a 2 suggestions

1) Enable Mechanical Shutter (MS) only. The camera won’t focus between each shot in CL or CH tracking, if ES only (electronic shutter) or MS+ES is enabled. Shooting fast-moving subjects with the ES doesn’t really make sense (rolling shutter effect).

2) Turn Off Face Detection! If you have Face Detection put to ON, the camera will focus only with CDAF. The faster Phase Detection AF (PDAF) works only if Face Detection is disabled.

Hi just wondering what you're source is that says PDAF is of when face detect is on as I can't find anything about this in the online manual. Thanks