The river Tyne at low tide: X-Pro-2 + 16mm f1.4

Mark C

Yesterday I bought the 16mm f1.4 R WR lens, this makes three lenses (16mm f1.4, 23mm f1.4 and 35mm f2) for my recently acquired X-Pro2 and is pretty much all I need. I like what I see from the 16mm straight away, it'll be getting a lot of use. Here are the first two images I took with it. Comments and critique are welcome:

27145185422_b1f21c1b4f_b.jpgThe Tyne at low tide by Mark Corpe, on Flickr

27165409272_0107da4888_b.jpgThe Tyne at low tide II by Mark Corpe, on Flickr

Nice compositions on both; you might try opening up the shadows on the far bank on the first one.  A bit contrasty for me.

Do you find the 16mm to be as sharp as the 23mm?  

Thanks. If you click through the image to get to the large version you'll see the detail in the shadows is all visible, the small sizes that the forums limit to don't allow many images to be shown to their best advantage.

I'd say the 16mm and the 23mm are about the same in terms of sharpness, i.e. spot on. Both excellent primes.

Edited by Mark Corpe

Ahh, didn't realize you can link to Flickr like that.  It certainly does look better there.  Consider my comment withdrawn. I use Smugmug and don't think you can "click through", as you put it.  At least it didn't work just now when I tried one of mine.  

Glad to hear the 16mm is as good as the 23mm, one of my favourite lenses.  I've been considering the 16 but find the 16-55 to be very good when stopped down.  Even when not stopped down. Probably not quite prime good, but I'd be hard pressed to spot any differences in a print.

Yeah, the differences between primes and zooms can be small and often only really noticeable in the outer edges of the shot at wide apertures. I was considering by the 10-24mm f4 zoom before getting the 16mm prime. In the end the faster aperture was the decider for me. I wont use it wide open very often but it's useful to have the option for either shallow DoF and/ or low light shooting when required.