Lost X-Pro 2 eyepieces

I was wondering if anyone besides myself has experienced the eyepiece from an X-Pro 2 coming off. The camera was not dropped or banged around but two days ago I noticed that the rubber eyepiece missing. It seems that Fuji considers it part of the body and does  not sell the eyepiece separately as a part.

Thanks

Jed Best

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think they're concerned with the water resistance being compromised, but surely cutting the aluminum body differently to seal out moisture despite the eyepiece would have been a smarter move on their part. That eye cup should not expose electronics if it gets ripped off. Oh well, probably a thin bead of sugru or a nice-fitting oring would fill the void nicely.

Yes they come off way too easy.  I called Fuji North America and they want $5 for the eyepiece but $15.50 for shipping!  It's almost $23 after taxes.  Crazy!  I luckily found what I thought was a lost one in my bag so I sprayed a little hairspray on it before I put it on.  Seems to hold better.  Time will tell.

If someone wants the part # it's BF00015761-100 - CONST EYE PIECE

Yes they come off way too easy. I called Fuji North America and they want $5 for the eyepiece but $15.50 for shipping! It's almost $23 after taxes. Crazy! I luckily found what I thought was a lost one in my bag so I sprayed a little hairspray on it before I put it on. Seems to hold better. Time will tell.

If someone wants the part # it's BF00015761-100 - CONST EYE PIECE

So you can buy it??

Sharon

I have just spoken to Fuji UK and they are adamant that the rubber part should not come detached and that they must replace the whole viewfinder assembly.  They are aware that the USA are taking a different stance but are concerned that if the part is user installed, it may come off again :(  Very disappointing  :(

Exciting news, Fuji sent me a replacement eyecup yesterday and I received it and fitted it this morning! Happy days.

I am contemplating applying a couple of spots of hot glue to keep it in place, any thoughts on the efficacy of doing this?

In my to and through with FujiFilm Worldwide support, I mentioned that I wanted part BF00015761-100 - CONST EYE PIECE. Their investigations informed them that this is the complete viewfinder assembly, not the eye cup.

I got the impression from my correspondence with Fuji that they located and sent me the eye cup to me as a courtesy; there was no indication that they are generally available. Your mileage may differ!

If I were you I wouldn't use hot glue, but a bit of thread locking adhesive:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thread-locking_fluid

It will hold better, even in hot conditions, and with a bit of force you will still be able to unscrew the eyepiece should you want to (for example if an extended one shoul become available).

Interesting, I have not heard of this product before. Reading the descriptions seems to imply the Loctite products are for metal to metal threads, had anyone tried this with rubber to metal?

Interesting, I have not heard of this product before. Reading the descriptions seems to imply the Loctite products are for metal to metal threads, had anyone tried this with rubber to metal?

Now I'm confused: isn't the threaded part of the eyepiece made of metal? All it takes is a drop or two, so if you're worried from the possible consequences of the contact between the Loctite and the rubber part you can be careful and just "paint" a bit of the metal thread on the far side, avoiding the rubbery section.

If instead the thread itself is made of rubber, or rubberized, than sorry but I've no experience in this regard. Maybe you could ask Loctite's (or one of the other manufacturers) customer service directly?

I use this kind of product in situations where vibrations can unscrew a piece, mostly on bicycles or on the screws that keeps my tripod locks together*.

*Not necessary for general use, but I keep an heavy tripod in the trunk of my car at all times, and the vibrations tend to unscrew the locks with time.

The X-Pro2's eyecup has no threads, it is basically a rubber o-ring sticker stuck to metal body and held in place by rubber tabs on the underside of the cup. Loctite will not work on it.

Sorry for the short rant, but why Fuji (and most other manufacturers, for that matter) had to reinvent the wheel? The film camera era screw in eyepiece that even Fuji used on most of their medium format cameras worked a threat, was consistent across the line and you could easily interchange it for a bigger eyepiece or for correction lenses (for example if you had some peculiar eye defect not covered by the integrated diopter, if present) if you wished so. Now every friggin' camera has its own special eyepiece, assuming you can interchange it at all. Super annoying and unprofessional.

End rant.   ^_^

Anyway, at this point I would use a thin layer of either Sugru, liquid rubber or black silicon-based sealant (the one used for bathrooms and windows panes) on the outside of the ring, where it joins the camera. The products I've recommended should all be rubber-friendly, but check the label first just to be sure.

Edited by addicted2light

• 3 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure this is a manufacturing defect. It happened to my camera and Fujifilm's service center in Singapore replaced it without charge, within a day.  When I went to pick up the camera, there was another gentleman there who had the same issue and he had his replaced by a service center in Japan while he was traveling there.

A part like this which is not supposed to be removable, shouldn't come off so easily so often. My cameras are used for work so they do take a bit of a beating, but I expect a 'pro' camera to be somewhat durable. Hence my thinking that this is a manufacturing defect and should be on Fuji to replace. Happy they did so in my case!

• 8 months later...

Please see Paul Eric Stern Blog. You can order compatible eyepieces on amazon via eyepieces compatible with fujifilm xpro2-jjc

Where is this blog? Google was not my friend and Amazon search turns up nothing.

Edited by dck22

It was Elliot Paul Stern (Elliot Stern) who drew attention to the X-Pro2 replacement eye pieces offered by JJC. Here's the link to his blog post:

https://elliotpaulstern.me/2017/04/21/eyecups-compatible-with-fujifilm-x-pro2-jjc/

I have yet to lose the rubber eye piece on my X-Pro2 but I've gone ahead and ordered both offerings made by JJC (EF-XPRO2 and EF-XPRO2G). Purchase is actually made through AliExpress.

Where is this blog? Google was not my friend and Amazon search turns up nothing.

Elliot (not Eric) Paul Stern, that's why you were out of luck:

https://elliotpaulstern.me/2017/04/21/eyecups-compatible-with-fujifilm-x-pro2-jjc/

AMAZON (they are calling them "eyecup" instead of "eyepiece", that's why you and I both couldn't find them at first):

Larger Version for People that Wear Eyeglasses:

https://www.amazon.com/JJC-Silicone-Eyepiece-Fujifilm-Eyeglasses/dp/B06Y4M6G6M/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1492843023&sr=8-11&keywords=fuji++eyecup

Normal version:

https://www.amazon.com/JJC-Silicone-Eyepiece-Fujifilm-FinePix/dp/B06Y4LMLZC/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&qid=1492843023&sr=8-21&keywords=fuji++eyecup

Edited by addicted2light

Sorry for my typing error. It was done while walking. Below is the link to amazon for the eyepiece replacement. 

eyepiece for fujifilm pro2-jjc

I have lost one of them and when I receive my replacement rom Fuji I placed as minuscule amount of super glue to hold it in place and haven't lost one since. I would just say that doing this is at your own risk. The lille I placed was such that I could remove it if and when I. sold the camera. Again, sorry for exchanging Elliot to Eric.

Jed