Why have the sensor exposed?

EddieX

Ok, so something happened when I visited Japan.  When I was changing lenses my wonderful 5-year old daughter, in a split-second, decided to touch the sensor of my X-T1 due to the rainbow effect the sensor gives off (it looked pretty according to her).  Fortunately I was in Fukuoka where Fuji has a service center and cleaned my sensor in about 1 hour.  Plus I got to look at all the latest toys.  Didn't know the X-Pro2 was so much larger then what I imagine and it had a nice weight to it.  Anyways getting off subject, my question is:

Why doesn't Fuji (or any mirrorless brand) have the shutter blades cover the sensor when changing lenses to reduce the chances of foreign objects (like little fingers) or dust from entering the sensor?

First of all I hope your cute little child is up for sale now, or has already been sold to the lowest bidder.

2nd, Why was your sensor facing upwards?  into the sun, or at the very least, not facing downward.  

And I'm sure there is an excellent reason why the shutter doesn't cover the sensor but I have no clue.  

Oh, and I'm sorta joking about selling the child.   Good thing you were near a Fuji center and it all worked out!!!!

First of all I hope your cute little child is up for sale now, or has already been sold to the lowest bidder.

2nd, Why was your sensor facing upwards?  into the sun, or at the very least, not facing downward.  

And I'm sure there is an excellent reason why the shutter doesn't cover the sensor but I have no clue.  

Oh, and I'm sorta joking about selling the child.   Good thing you were near a Fuji center and it all worked out!!!!

The camera wasn't facing upwards, it was on my neck strap and it just so happened to be at eye level to my daughter when I was switching lenses.

But I did learn a lesson that day.  I need to buy a second body just in case something happens to the first one :D

Edited by EddieX

The camera wasn't facing upwards, it was on my neck strap and it just so happened to be at eye level to my daughter when I was switching lenses.

But I did learn a lesson that day.  I need to buy a second body just in case something happens to the first one :D

Or you can to learn to switch lens properly.   You should have the new lens open and in hand before unmounting the old lens. Unmount old lens with right hand (palm covering front element, thumb pressing release, twist), immediately place new one in with left hand, done!  No snotty little 5 year old fingerprints on my sensor!

Or do the lens swap in a bag that carries your lens, plenty of tricks to use. Or even better, teach you lil' one how to use a camera and what can or can not be touched.

That's what I did with my 6 years old son, I started by teach him how to hold a camera and how to take pictures, about 6 months later, I got him an old Nikon 1 V1 with Nikkor 1 10mm F2.8 lens. He nows enjoys his own camera, can shot decently something in the frame, knows basic composition (ie. placing ppl where he wants them to be), can do short films and most of all, learned that he can move around to get the picture he wants because of the fixed lens.

Or do the lens swap in a bag that carries your lens, plenty of tricks to use. Or even better, teach you lil' one how to use a camera and what can or can not be touched.

That's what I did with my 6 years old son, I started by teach him how to hold a camera and how to take pictures, about 6 months later, I got him an old Nikon 1 V1 with Nikkor 1 10mm F2.8 lens. He nows enjoys his own camera, can shot decently something in the frame, knows basic composition (ie. placing ppl where he wants them to be), can do short films and most of all, learned that he can move around to get the picture he wants because of the fixed lens.

Yes, I am teaching her.  And I do have to get a small camera for her.  She does like mine, but it's just to heavy for her at this time.

As an SLR guy, I find it alarming that the sensor is always exposed. My XE1 was bought used, and has an uncleanable sensor spot that hasn't shown up in photos. And the potential for dust contamination must be greater. Changing lenses in the desert on a windy day. I wouldn't look forward to that.

Mirrorless means shutterless. The camera makers are so delighted with those cost savings that nothing else matters to them- certainly not the long-term utility of these perishable consumer goods.

Edited by Wheatridger

Mirrorless means shutterless. The camera makers are so delighted with those cost savings that nothing else matters to them- certainly not the long-term utility of these perishable consumer goods.

No shutter? Mirrorless is no mirror but it still has a shutter. And it has nothing to do with cost savings. My XP2 is more expensive than many DSLRs. Edited by mqaa

Nonsense, mirrorless cameras have a shutter. They can also be used with the Electronic Shutter but there are MANY quirks (which lots of people aren’t generally aware of until they bump into it).

The Shutter cannot be used as a protection because shutters which perform at this speed are delicate things.

It would be even more of a problem if anything were to touch it, it would certainly break and replacing it would mean if not total loss a very hefty bill because the camera needs to be dismounted completely ( probably they will completely replace the whole of the inside of the camera)

The sensor, as you’ve seen can easily be cleaned. The shutter can’t. I would have been destroyed.

Nothing is foolproof. 

As an SLR guy, I find it alarming that the sensor is always exposed. My XE1 was bought used, and has an uncleanable sensor spot that hasn't shown up in photos. And the potential for dust contamination must be greater. Changing lenses in the desert on a windy day. I wouldn't look forward to that.

lol..i find your lack of basic camera knowledge alarming.  How else will you get the image into the viewfinder/LCD if the sensor is covered? lol! The mirror is gone remember. 

Dust is certainly a problem, but it doesn’t have to be dust on sensor to mess with you!

When you use an extreme wideangle (10-24 at 10 or 12mm) on a Fuji aps-c X camera with interchangeable lenses, even dust on the real lens element becomes visible if you close the aperture ar 8 or thereabouts.

Also thinking that a mirror and a shutter would necessarily protect your camera from dust on the sensor is just wishful thinking. If that were the case no reflex camera would ever have dust on sensor and I have had plenty on those cameras too. 

If you change lens in the desert on a windy day is never a good idea, mirrorless or otherwise!

If you change lens in the desert on a windy day is never a good idea, mirrorless or otherwise!

Change the lens in the bag... or inside a jacket... or with something thrown over you... or in the car etc

I've never had trouble changing lenses in the desert on a windy day.

I prefer some dust on sensor instead any potential damage on the shutter!

But like i always say, almost every bad situation can be avoided if you are smart enough and a careful person, just take care of your equipment and treat it with respect, at the end of the day is an investment not a toy, i change lenses fast inside my bags always!