Astro Landscapes (Starscapes) with Fuji?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

I enjoy shooting landscapes under to stars. I would like to hear from those of you who have tried this with your Fuji systems. If you haven't, speculation is not what I'm after. The reason I ask is that shooting at night under dark skies, away from city lights, brings unique photographic challenges all on its own. Cameras perform differently under these conditions. Though I'm not looking for perfection, just Fuji user experiences since I'm considering one of the newer Fuji models (X-Pro2, X-T2).

I've been shooting night landscapes for a while now with Canon and currently with Sony FF. Overall, I've found Sony mirrorless more challenging to use under these conditions. Though of course it has other strengths apart from these types of shots; and there are workarounds. DSLR's have much nicer OVFs which work better for me in dark areas. With Sony, its really hard to turn off all the LCD and still use the functionality needed to get the shot. Most of my images are longer exposures (30+ seconds) where I do not want the LCD on for that entire duration. I'm wondering how Fuji systems work in these sort of night conditions? Can one turn off the LCD for long exposures at night? How about other challenges like focusing at infinity with stars in focus, long exposure sensor heat producing additional noise, etc...? Anyone on here doing these types of shots? Even if a newbie, I'd like to hear and/or see your experiences with Fuji at night.

Here are a few examples of what I am talking about with the Sony A7:

14Aug15_0093a2-XL.jpg

27Nov14_2671c4-XL.jpg

24Dec14_3901b45-XL.jpg

Thanks,

Derek

Haven't done it with the new sensor, but the old 16MP Sensor was really good. 

And also the cameras. Focussing would be similar to the Sony. Either with magnification (and some light source) or a bit of trial and error (I have marked just the infinity spot on my lens).

The sensor doesn't produce a lot of dark current noise and the few hot pixels will mostly be removed by the dark frames. 

With the viewfinder you can set it (with a button on the body) to: LCD only, EVF only, Eye Sensor and EVF and Eye Sensor (all displays are off until the eye sensor detects something and activates the EVF.

Personally I have just turned down the brightness on the LCD. 

Lenses for those kind of shots would be:

Samyang 12mm f/2.0

Fujinon 14mm f/2.8

Zeiss 12mm f/2.8

Fujinon 16mm f/1.4

Fujinon 10-24mm f/4

The Samyang is often said to be one of the best lenses for this kind of stuff. It's sharp and bright. However it doesn't focus at infinity where the focus ring says (you have to try it and mark it). And there is very little coma.

The Fujinon 14mm is just as good, but 1 stop slower.

The Fujinon 16mm is acceptable sharp wide open (not as sharp in the middle as the samyang or 14mm wide open), however it suffers from quite some coma on the edges. 

The 10-24 works too, however it's an f/4.0 lens - that's not really what you probably want to go for. 

The Zeiss 12mm would work too, but I don't see the point in this, since there are the Samyang and Fuji 14mm both cheaper and as good (if not better). 

There are some reviews about Fuji gear and astro photography on the web. http://www.lonelyspeck.com has some reviews (I think both the X-T1 and Samyang 12mm have been reviewed)

In the end a Sony A7S with the right glass will probably give you a bit better images, but I like the Fuji because it is very capable and also very light and flexible. 

I tried an A7 RII with 55 1,8 and the 28 mm, no exactly in night lanscapes, but in city night , compared with my XT1 + 35 1,4  and 10-24; the sharpness is similar, but a 2500-3200  the Sony has less noise; for me is the only advantage. I tested my XT1 on lanscape night and the results nor are bad, quite similar to my previos Canon 6D. This is my little experience.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By SuperMentality
      Decided to test my camera out of the night sky on a new moon far from the city on a low traffic road
    • By jamesc2225
      Hi,  I'm a newbie Astrophotographer and I'm trying to work out how to get the most out of my XT-30.  I'm using it in Bulb mode (non Auto), with a cheap intervalometer to give me 1 min plus exposures.  
      When setting up a image capture session on the intervalomter, I'm having to account for the processing time of each long exposure into my shoot.  So for example, if I'm shooting a 59" exposure, I have to then wait whilst the camera "processes" the image, which is also exactly 59 seconds.  If I'm shooting a sequence of frames then this makes a 50 frame sequence last (50 x 59") x 2 (2 hours for a total of 50ish minutes of open shutter.
      I wondered if anyone was aware of any buffering or burst mode on the camera, which could avoid the processing time after each long exposure?  Is there any way to give the capture priority whilst the processing is queued up after the sequence is shot?  I'm finding that I'm losing quite a bit of time to processing in my sessions.  Forgive me if I'm just being dumb - as I say I'm new to long exposure photography.
      Thanks in advance!
      James
    • By Frodo007
      Hello there! I am new to this forum and a proud owner of an X-T2.
      Last night I wished to try interval timer shooting to stack some star tracks, so I programmed my gear for 545 1-second exposures each separated by 10 seconds, at ISO 1000.  OIS was off, AF was set to manual with focus set at infinity and aperture also set to manual, at the widest setting for the lens. The body firmware version is 4.30 and the battery was fully charged.

When the shooting was over, I was disappointed to see that only 292 exposures had been taken instead of the 545 I had keyed in.

Anybody have an idea why this happened?
    • By paulbroad
      British heavy bomber rear gunner. 0.303 four gun turret.
    • By rzgp33
      Hi.
      In the Astrophotography world most people end up using software like BackyardEOS or BackyardNikon 
      https://www.otelescope.com/store/category/2-backyardeos/
      and others to automate the process. For a deep space session you need may to take 300 x300sec exposures with dark frames and flats. The software manages this from a computer, and then prepares for, or in more extensive packages,  begins to, process the shots, stacking them removing noise etc.
      Despite for years have a crap low noise response sensor Canon has dominated the field due its ease of use with such software.
      Fuji sensors seem to have a great H1 hydrogen emission response and look great in the few manually exposed sequences that I have done.
      Does anyone know of any software that allows me to automate the process with Fuji? or if you are using Fuji in your Astrophotography whats your process/software stack?
      I really don't want to have to convert every raw to a tiff.....
      Brian
    • I wish they release a firmware fixing these indeed !. because the other methods seems a bit complex... let's hope.. because fujifilm used to listen to users since the start...
    • Hi all  A new X100V owner. Some reviews mentioned that a lens filter is required to make the camera weather resistant. What type of filter ? Just a normal UV filter? Also any recommendations of lens hood? Does the lens hood create shadow when using the inbuilt flash? Any other accessories I need to consider?  Thanks 
    • I'm in exactly the same position. For professional work I've moved away from Fujifilm, but for personal work I still love the X-Pro2 form factor. The X-Pro3 indeed misses the point for me. Next to a number of improvements (faster AF, better EVF, placement of the diopter adjustment and exposure comp dial) there are some crucial misses for me: the sub screen is nothing but a gimmick and looks cheap on this camera. The tilting screen is exactly the wrong implementation, whereas the X100V is exactly right if you want a tilting screen at all. Same for the ISO dial. But the main issue for me was dropping the X-Pro2 dual magnification in the OVF rendering the X-Pro3 OVF useless for anything wider than 23mm or longer than 50mm. So I returned the X-Pro3 I had on trial and kept using my X-Pro2 (although I mostly use my M10-R and Q2 nowadays). Now, the X-Pro models have always been niche cameras for Fujifilm. Therefore the launch of newer models followed roughly a 4 year cycle. So, logic dictates that we should expect a new model around Oct 2023. If at all, because a friendly retailer (one of the larger online ones in Europe) told me that X-Pro3 sales were initially good due to X-Pro2 owners replacing their camera, but dropped sharply thereafter and is now way under previous X-Pro2 levels. As said before, this is a niche camera in a rapidly shrinking market (digital camera sales dropped between 2011 and 2021 by over 90%) and it's a rather expensive one too. Priced in 'full-frame territory'. Potential buyers love the looks, but buy an X-T3/T4 (of a full-frame compact like the Z5, A7C or S5) because it's more convenient with better options. What doesn't help is that the newer f1.4 lenses (the 18, 23 and 33) are all substantially bigger and render the OVF on the X-Pro's useless, while at the same time some of the crucial compact lenses (the 16/f2.8 and the 23/f2) in terms of pure image quality are not Fuji's best. Long story short, the X-Pro3 is a rather expensive niche camera with the relative low sales numbers to match that. If at all, the successor isn't likely to be expected before end 2023.
    • Good question. I have wondered the same thing. I have an X-Pro2 and was considering the X-Pro3 until I read the specs. I am waiting to see what the X-Pro4 looks like. A lot of my reasoning is simply that I really like the camera I have and I would only make the jump to a newer model if it offered some feature or function that I really wanted. I use the display on my current camera quite a bit - just to check battery status or show a photo to someone. I don't like the way the display on the X-Pro3 was done. I really hope Fuji goes back to something else.
    • I love my X-Pro2 but I would not "upgrade" to the X-Pro3, I don't like the flippy screen and definitely not the way it has been implemented. I don't like the rubbery finish. The X-Pro was supposed to be the leading edge APS-C camera but clearly that is the X-T4 or possibly the X-H2 very soon. To me the X-Pro is the right size but has been forgotten. I really don't want an SLR anymore but to me the X-Pro3 misses the mark. So has it been a success compared to the X-Pro2? I am wondering if the replacement will return to amore conventional X-Pro2 style format without the gimmicks.