Need some gear purchasing advice

binklewis

ok - so I think I posted this in the wrong spot before  - it probably belongs here.  Sorry about that :-) 

Ok all - looking for some advice. I have a small part time business and shoot mostly outdoor portraits (but also do a lot of events, nature/wildlife and sports outside my little biz). I've been a canon shooter, and will be keeping my 7D mkii and 70-200 2.8 for sports for now, but for all other shooting I'm switching to Fuji land. 

I currently have the x-t1, 18-55 f2-4 and 55-200 f/3.5 - 4.8. 
I really like what I've gotten thus far, but I'm looking to augment and continue to build my Fuji system out, including a backup camera.  

I've got a budget of about $1K US to spend, and I'm looking at what I can get for that, including used gear. I love buying used gear, so that appears to be a good route for me :-). I recently saw the rumors, so I know there is a supposed drop coming for some gear. 

I've looked at the everything from an old used x-e1 on keh for a backup to used/new 60mm 2.4 to the 35 f/2 and of course the 1.4 twins and the wonderful 56 1.2. 

New, without a price drop - one of the good lenses could do in my budget. However, when I start getting creative and pairing up a used 60mm with an old camera and maybe a reduced 35 f/2 on rumor day - I might come away with a great event/all around lens in the 35, a really nice portrait and macro lens in the 60, and squeeze in an old used x-e1 :-) or maybe on rumor day I just get a new 56 1.2 and 35 f/2, or maybe the 16-55 2.8 and sell off the 18-55 ... 

I don't know - I'm all over the map - help me with your creative ideas for my somewhat limited budget! 

Thanks, 

Bink 
http://binkdogphotography.com 
http://www.facebook....kdogphotography

The 16-55 f2.8 has great speed of AF and is wonderfully sharp [like all fuji lenses] is a good allrounder and a lens I use a lot for all kinds of different shoots, from sports to events and weddings to food and portraits. It is big and is relatively heavy though.

The 35 f1.4 is slower to focus but gives a really nice look for that slightly wider portrait. The 56 f1.2 is something special for portraits [just got my own one yesterday - finally]. The falloff of focus and the way it renders details, hubba hubba hubba. Not quick to AF although MF is easy on this one.

First X camera I had was a used X-E1 that I adapted some old Zeiss lenses to, first shot and I was sold, after a few months I bought an X-T1 with the 16-55 f/2.8. The X-E2 is a better camera [than the XE-1], faster AF and a much faster EVF, along with a few other improvements.

I guess you should try to decide what angle you like to shoot at, as in how wide? A 23 & 56 is a classic split of wide[ish] to tele[ish]. But remember you don't have to get it all at once. I think all fuji glass is good and most of them are great.

When you shoot mostly outdoor portraits I'd look at a lens suited best for that and those are the 56mm f/1.2 and de 90mm f/2. Those will give you a better/different result than your current lenses and since portraits are your business you might be most happy. You can use your other lenses for the other stuff. When buying secondhand you maybe can even add a used x-e1 (or even x-e2) as backup. 

Edit: the 23 an 35mm f/1.4 are great as well but since you're shooting mostly outdoors you have probably more space to walk around and I'd choose i tighter focal length.

Edited by Sluw