More Kaizen Love for X-T1 Coming?

There are only three types of updates that appear to be reasonable for the X-T1:

1) Updates to bringt the X-T1 up to speed with the T10/E2/E2S, like adding the current UI of the T10/E2/E2S.

2) Updates that enhance T1-specific functions (like adding wifi tethering to the existing USB tethering).

3) Minor usability updates, compatibility updates and bug fixes

There will obviously be an update to support the new flash system with wireless TTL and HSS. I don expect to see any updates of the 1 and 2 categories before the X-T2 is out.

• 2 months later...

Dear @Patrick FR, is the so-called final Kaizen fw still on track?

Since this article is from may and the 4.0 firmware is from end of June I think that was the final (big) FW update. Of course you can still expect fixes if needed but I guess no substantial update like that one anymore... What are you missing though?

Maybe things that the camera cannot get? You can’t get 24Mp or 4K or the joystick, so... other than that the X-T1 is at its peak and the only thing that it might get in future is compatibility with the new lenses or flash which are yet to come.

Edited by milandro

Since this article is from may and the 4.0 firmware is from end of June I think that was the final (big) FW update. Of course you can still expect fixes if needed but I guess no substantial update like that one anymore... What are you missing though?

The "big" 4.0 firmware was already released in 2015! Since then minor updates where released, so it's still possible! Although I don't really missing something it's still nice to dream... ;)

• 1 month later...

Ok, I am not quite sure  whether the X-t1 has been discontinued...or not?

Perhaps just not yet,  as it appears to have already happened to the X-T10, X100T, X-E2

But we must be very nearly there.

http://www.fujirumors.com/fujifilm-x100t-discontinued-fujifilm-x100f-coming/

http://www.fujirumors.com/fujifilm-x-t10-discontinued-well-x-e2/

So, are we going to see anymore upgrades and which are the possible upgrades which we might expect to see since a lot of what it has been offered out there is either hardware determined or it is simply making the camera suitable for a new lens.

In other words there will be something to make the X-t1 suitable for using with lenses and flashes that are not yet there but, as it is, it will most probably stay.

Or does the team of Patrick & Andreas know any better?

Judging from the xpro1, the firmware updates which are trickling still, happens when they need the Pro1 to recognize new lenses. Other times, the firmware would address certain anomaly in some lenses, i.e. focus issues, algorithm, etc.

In terms of newer or better performance on the Pro1 body itself, there hasn't been one for a long time. So, I guess your T1 is safe in this respect.

Edited by Aswald

Upgrades will only come if they are part of a marketing strategy which has been probably outlined months ago at Fuji.

At the moment this camera hasn’t YET been discontinued. Until they come up with the replacement for the X-T10, this is now the best 16Mp in the range.

After they have introduced the X-A3 ( yes with a different sensor) which also sports 24Mp ( to print really large selfies, because this camera was admittedly made to produce precisely that!), it is very possible that there will soon

be a X-E3 or X-T20, but until then, there isn’t much for those who aren’t prepared to spend the many shekels that the X-Pro 2 and X-T2 cost.

There will be a few, like me, who aren’t jumping on the 24Mp bandwagon, and some  who simply don’t have the cash to buy one of the two top cameras of the system. 

So, maybe, just maybe, they will keep the X-T1 going for a while longer (at least until they have parts and sensors available)  to fill this niche.

• 1 month later...

so, the so called Kaizen for the X-T1 and 2 has been suspended because it had, apparently, again, some sort of bug.

However what was revealed is that, as predicted above^, the X-T1 will only receive a technical upgrade ( this time something to do with a flash). I don’t use any flash with my X-T1 camera and won’t “ upgrade”, but it is now more than clear that the upgrades containing real new camera functions seem to have reached their end station. No more goodies, just technical upgrades for new lenses or flashes in production or to come.

Meanwhile they have reconsidered the official designation of “ discontinued cameras" of the X-T10 and X-E2S. Probably just to give a chance to the various shops with some remaining stock to get rid of them. At my local shop they say that they still have them but that, due to the release of the new models, they aren’t selling any, not even at discounted prices. 

That is, methinks, hardly surprising because no-one wants to buy yesteryear flavor of the month. Funny how some people who rushed into buying the newest camera still seem to take the same pictures they took before. Apparently they didn’t find the chops that they were looking for in the box where the new cameras came.  ;)  :P  :D they might as well have saved a lot of money if they stayed with their more than sufficient box.

• 1 month later...

The Kaizen philosophy is the most effective way to expand the base of loyal owners, if no one feels like they were left behind each camera sold more or less counts as a loyal owner (even those of us with too many). My own first venture into digital SLR/ILC was the Sony A55 ILC (same sensor as the first Fuji 16Mp) - by all means a decent camera. By the time I had 3 lenses Sony had stopped development of all but the flagship A77 and had moved emphasis to the small mirrorless E series, When I started to look seriously for an upgrade theA7 was on the way - now the second Best New Thing that could not use my lenses w/o a $350 adapter that made the camera as big as a full frame.

I was contemplating the Nikon 7000 and Pentax as well as Fuji but the Rumor mill was full of the "next sensor" talk already, so I decided to conduct an experiment: I ordered an X-E1 w. XF 18-55 on closeout for $720 (see Fuji Rumors). Because the X-E2 was already out I ended up paying only around $300 for the body. Being a "slow" photographer I found it amazing and when I added a XF27 I was sold. I later added an X-M1 which is still a cute little bugger and a used X-2E which is now an brand new X-2(s)/T10.

Before I finally got my X-Pro2 I had 3 Fujifilm cameras that met my expectations above 100%. To this day none of these are obsolete and they all respond like thoroughbreds when I mount the 56 or 90.

Back to X-T1 an Kaizen - If Fuji makes sure the X-T1 remain better than what people expected when they bought it they have our loyalty - to expect that they make it more is not realistic, There never was an X-T1.5 and there never will be.

A few weeks ago you could get the X-E2 with the 18-55 for $699 - I wanted to buy two to prove the point. With sensor production ending Fujifilm will undoubtedly convert the last of their inventory to the most profitable cameras but there still could be some good deals out there on 16's in the near future.