PROBLEM: Using Fujifilm Phone App (iOS) As Shutter Release

I was shooting some family pictures yesterday and figured i'd try to use the Camera Remote app (iOS) to trip the shutter. (X-Pro2 v1.01 w/35mm f2 WR)

Previously i'd used the app in the house - sitting on a chair with my phone and the camera on the table in front of me - to make sure i knew how it worked. There were no issues using it in the house: video was responsive, quick focus response, and tripping the shutter was quick and reliable. I was pretty impressed with it.

It didn't very well in actual use.

Connectivity Problem:

We were out on a beach and there were 4 other wifi networks visible on my phone (aka: not a lot of possible sources of interference):

• Standing about 20 feet from the camera the live view video was jerky and intermittent - not a big deal since i had previously framed the picture and was using a tripod.
  • Tripping the shutter remotely via the app was a big problem
  • The camera only took a few frames out of the 30 or so times that i released the shutter in the app. Since there's no feedback within the app that the image was made there's no way to know without checking the camera.
  • So when i went back to review the images there were only 3 or 4 pictures

Manual / Auto Focus Problem:

• I framed the shot
  • Locked down the tripod and focused the camera
  • Changed the camera to manual focus mode to make sure focus would stay set
  • Turned on wifi on the camera and connected the app
  • Image was fully out of focus in the app but sharp on the camera
  • Focus controls in the app were unresponsive
  • The only way to fix it was to leave the camera in autofocus mode (and reconnect the app)

I didn't have a chance to try to reproduce this yet but it appears to be related to manual focus mode and using the phone app.

Connect / Disconnect - sub-optimal UX:

• In the camera remote app when you navigate between the different modules (file transfer, camera remote, geotagging etc) the app "disconnects" from the camera
  • The disconnect appears to cause the camera to shutdown (or freeze) - the camera is dead to the touch with nothing on the screen. 
  • Turning the camera off/on again and everything's fine but then you've got to navigate through the camera to turn on wireless again, connect etc etc etc, disconnect, off/on, navigate etc etc...

Overall that application is pretty cool, if there are issues like this using it over very short distances it's not very usable. The cable release is probably the only thing i'd want to use it for and that was super unreliable at ~20 feet, line of site.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I have read that the Android app works thru a router. The app can't command the camera directly(?).

So another gadget to lug around, hmmm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Yes android users have to lug a router around with them. That's not too bad it's the power extension lead for the router and modem that's the problem. But not too bad as I just plug it in the one I use for the TV and refrigerator I carry around as well.

Come on man! Don't believe everything you read!

Facts..eh. Then the Android version of the app does connect camera to phone direct, just like the Apple. It doesn't need a router between. As I said earlier having the need for a router would mean you could only use it within sight of your own home WiFi setup.

In my opinion it works better than the Apple version as with the Apple you have to go into the phone's setting to connect with the camera's WiFi name. No need with Android; it just connects.