Filter Sets for X-Lenses

Toon

Do any of you have comparison samples of the ND filters you have making sure the white balance is set the same, only letting the shutter speed vary?

If you mean, have any the shots in my port had the colour balance altered to bring it in line with the opposing half, then no. The WB for the sky is the same for the ground, i.e. the only effect the filter has is to restrain the amount of light. Personally, I would use any filter that altered the actual colour. When processing 100's - 1000's of shots a month you need to be able to get through the work as quickly as possible. Having to balance WB between sky and land would make it more cost efficient to buy Lee Filters due to time saved.

I don't have actual examples of a shot with and without filters.... if I notice a cast I don't use them, if I don't, I do :-)

Here is a review that compares many 10-stop circular ND filters for cast and sharpness.  Now, I recognize that many here are talking about drop-in filters and holders, but if you want just a straight ND filter and don't want the size and hassle of the holder, circular filters are a viable option.  Breakthrough Photography's X3 filter came out on top.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/10-Stop-Neutral-Density-Filter.aspx

i use the hitech system as well, some grad nd and a 6 stop. for the 10 stop i also went for the haida which in fact works perfectly. as someone already mentioned, i removed one of the layers on the filter holder. i also turned around the screws and cut about one cm from each of them. now they perfectly fit into my filter pouch. the results absolutely fit my needs.

I've noticed that the Lee Seven5 Polarizer gives a little vignettin when used together with the 18-135mm zoom lens at 18mm. When zooming in just a little bit towards 23mm it's gone. The 18-135 lens has a 67mm filter diameter. Maybe in future I wanted buy a wider lens so I was wondering which lens will not be affected by vignettin, the 10-24 mm zoom with a filter diameter of 72mm or the 14mm with a filter diameter of 58mm. My guess is that the 10-24 will give a lot vignettin in at least the ultra wide focal lengths due to the wider diameter. And that the 14m maybe don't give any vignettin at all? I'm I correct?

For the 10-24mm you will need the Lee 100 system. And you better use the 72mm wide angle adapter ring.

Lee Filters write in their Knowlege Base about it:

http://leefilters.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/353605-fuji-x-10-24mm

Allow me to jump on the boat and as a question about filters.

I am by no means a landscape photographer but I got the itch to give a try. Now considering the prices of either Lee or HiTech filters, that sounds like quite a heavy investment for something I might not like.

That being said, a friend from Taiwan advised me to take a look at Kood filters, he got them last time he went to UK and they are around 22ish £ per 84mm filters, they have pretty much everything aside the equivalent of Lee's big stopper.

Does anyone around has any experience with Kood ?