Recommendations for small shoulder day pouch for X-T1 with 18mm f/2 + one small lens

I just bought a used Fuji X-T1 and 18mm f/2 and am looking for a small, stylish, discreet bag that can be worn over the shoulder to hold the camera with 18mm mounted and perhaps a second lens (e.g. Nikkor 50mm on tilt adapter) for day trips.  Most of the 'small' bags mentioned on other posts are too big or heavy for my purposes (e.g. TT Retro 5; ONA Bowery, etc) .  I thought something just a bit bigger than the Peak Design Field Pouch would be perfect.  Don't need much padding.  I gather fitting X-T1 with 18mm plus second lens would be very packed in the Field Pouch.

Thanks for suggestions.

Just an out-of-the-box suggestion.

I don't use photo bags. I use whatever bag I like / buy at the moment (generally heavy canvas, waxed canvas or leather) and as "padding" I use instead a light rain jacket / spare t-shirt (according to season and weather) wrapped loosely around the camera.

In the same bag, but in a different pocket / pockets, I carry if needed a water bottle, keys, a notes and a pen, etc.

Ona Bowery.  It's my street bag.  It'll hold more then you are asking it to, but it's small and doesn't look like a camera bag.

My love of the Bowery is what lead me to buy the Brixton which is what I carry everyday.  Can't recommend Ona enough.  They are awesome.

What about a non camera bag like the Fossil Wagner Mens City Bag ?

I posted that content over the favorite camera bag thread but I can repost it here for the sake of convenience, this what I am able to carry in the bag on regular basis:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

- X-T1
- 27mm F2.8
- 35mm F1.4
- 18-135mm F3.5-5.6
- 3 batteries + Traveler friendly charger with micro USB cable
- Small 5200 mah powerbank for extra need of juices
- BlackRapid Metro strap
- A pocket WiFi (turns 3g into WiFi for non 3G devices)
- Nexus 7 2013 ed.
- Kindle Paperwhite
- 30cm x 30cm micro fiber cleaning cloth
- Lens cleaning kit (cloth, brush, small bottle of cleaning liquid)
- Couple of pens
- A small 20L foldable bag for just in case I would need to do groceries

I stole some inner padding from my Vanguard Uprise 33 bag at the bottom of the bag just in case it would fall on the bottom and used the Fuji cloth lens to avoid too much issues with the lenses bumping into each other in the bag while traveling.

As you can see, I can fit quite a lot in the bag that is more than enough for a day of trip. For the size, it's not that big at all, 25cm x 6 x 28cm.

I love Billingham product but my small man purse cost at least half the price and serves the same function.

For larger bags, we can start having a conversation about it. But for small bags that you just carry with you with a camera and a couple of lenses max along some necessities, I really can not approve of the price of the Hadley Digital.

I love Billingham product but my small man purse cost at least half the price and serves the same function.

For larger bags, we can start having a conversation about it. But for small bags that you just carry with you with a camera and a couple of lenses max along some necessities, I really can not approve of the price of the Hadley Digital.

I agree on the Billingham. I have the Hadley Pro, which was only marginally more expensive than the Digital despite being significantly larger. My father owns the Digital and it is a greta bag, I really trust their product in all kinds of weather conditions, but the price point for such a small bag seems way too high. I think you can find a much more cost effective solution than the Hadley Digital.

Lowepro Event Messenger 100.

Hardly stylish, but otherwise perfect in my opinion. Room for a small camera with lens and another lens. I have an E2s, so maybe the T1 might make things a slightly too tight fit, but I doubt it. I'm using slightly bigger lenses than you are.

I agree on the Billingham. I have the Hadley Pro, which was only marginally more expensive than the Digital despite being significantly larger. My father owns the Digital and it is a greta bag, I really trust their product in all kinds of weather conditions, but the price point for such a small bag seems way too high. I think you can find a much more cost effective solution than the Hadley Digital.

However at the end of the day, when you use a Billingham bag, whichever the size, your gear will stay dry, unless of course you go swimming or diving with it!

Remember your gear usually cost's more than a Billingham bag, a cheap bag is a false economy, you get what you pay for in this world.

Edited by macabee

However at the end of the day, when you use a Billingham bag, whichever the size, your gear will stay dry, unless of course you go swimming or diving with it!

Remember your gear usually cost's more than a Billingham bag, a cheap bag is a false economy, you get what you pay for in this world.

I completely agree with you on that point and I swear by Billingham for that reason. For myself though, already owning a Hadley Pro, it's hard for me to buy a Hadley Digital at about $40 less when the bag is less than half the size. To me, the Hadley Pro is priceless, but I would be inclined to examine all other options before spending that much on the Digital.

• 2 weeks later...

For a camera + a small spare lens I tend not to bother with a bag and just take the spare lens in a coat pocket or in climbing chalk bag (dedicated to photo use, I would not recommend mixing lenses and chalk :D ).

Chalk bags are cool looking, very light and dirt cheap as well (mines cost me less than 10$, strap included). Not padded but lined with very soft fleece. And they can be used as protective bags when carrying lenses in a larger bag lacking inserts.

Next up in the small, light and cheap scale, I have a LowePro Terraclime bag. The range has apparently been discontinued but I like mine - it is basically as lighweight as the above chalk bag but designed for cameras. Still minimal padding (and no insert) but it means they can be rolled/flattened and take hardly any space when not in use. I have the second smallest in the range which is more for my Nikon V1 or Coolpix A. For an X-T1 and two lenses you're probably looking at the largest one. 

lowepro-terraclime-bags.jpg

Finally, my lightweight travel/mini-trip bag is a LowePro Passport Sling, which is extremely confortable and convenient if not necessarilly cool looking (who said diaper bag?  :lol:  ).

41XYRPTxuVL._SX300_.jpg

ThinkTank Photo Mirrorless Mover 20 is what I use for your situation; it's my primary carry with one lens mounted (usually the 35mm f/1.4) and another in the bag (targeted to what I plan/hope to encounter that day). Wouldn't work for any long lenses though....

I just bought a used Fuji X-T1 and 18mm f/2 and am looking for a small, stylish, discreet bag that can be worn over the shoulder to hold the camera with 18mm mounted and perhaps a second lens (e.g. Nikkor 50mm on tilt adapter) for day trips.  Most of the 'small' bags mentioned on other posts are too big or heavy for my purposes (e.g. TT Retro 5; ONA Bowery, etc) .  I thought something just a bit bigger than the Peak Design Field Pouch would be perfect.  Don't need much padding.  I gather fitting X-T1 with 18mm plus second lens would be very packed in the Field Pouch.

Thanks for suggestions.

I don't think you can be both, stylish and discreet.  You want to stand out and show off your stylish charm and debonaire flair, or you want to be discreet?  

1000% disagree.  If you want to justify the purchase of your fancy Billingham go for it, but don't try to justify it here.  I'm glad you are happy with it.  Quite frankly, I would feel terrible owning something like that, though beautiful as they are, with the amount of use and abuse (at times) my bags take.  The most I've ever paid for a bag was for a Thinktank Retrospective 10 and that was a bit over 110.00 US. and I thought that was a bit much --- especially as I was on the shores of the Atlantic Ocean as a wave tried to take it away from me as it lay in the sand.  Yes, that's what I do.  For me, a bag is a tool to be used.  Not a fashion accessory to look cool.  I've owned many, many bags and have yet found "the one" so spending hundreds on bag, that may or may not be the right one is just not right for me.  If it's ok for you, then so be it.  

I also use the Lowepro Event Messenger 100.

It fits my X-E2 and depending on the lens you can fit 3 in there.

I also use a Black Rapid SnapR 35 Bag and Strap as a walk around when choosing one lens only, but I don't know if it will fit the X-T1.  The X-E2 fits with the 35mm maximum, so I can use with the 35, 27 or 18.

For a camera + a small spare lens I tend not to bother with a bag and just take the spare lens in a coat pocket or in climbing chalk bag (dedicated to photo use, I would not recommend mixing lenses and chalk :D ).

Chalk bags are cool looking, very light and dirt cheap as well (mines cost me less than 10$, strap included). Not padded but lined with very soft fleece. And they can be used as protective bags when carrying lenses in a larger bag lacking inserts.

As a climber, I'd never even thought about a chalk bag as a lens bag, probably because mine are always filled with chalk, but that is an incredibly good idea.

[...]with the amount of use and abuse (at times) my bags take.[...]

Going to play the devil's advocate here for a moment, but my 335 Billingham has served for close of a decade now, you can see that it has seen much better days, but that bag is a trooper, it still a good bag whenever I need to mule around FF bodies and lenses and the zipper are still in pristine conditions.

Billingham bags are super expensive but they will stand the trials of time and come out victorious while others will have replaced several parts already.

I have often considered getting myself a Hadley Pro but the usage I would have of it does not justify its price. The 335 was a self gift for when I started this whole thing and I am glad that I did.

• 1 month later...

I use an F-Stop Harney pouch ($75) - it holds a X-pro2 with 16mm plus a spare 12mm zeiss/23mm or 56mm - and has enough room in the main bag to hold my (very) lightweight Montane Featherlite jacket; in the front compartments I can get two spare batteries and a Think-Tank SD Card wallet.

When not being used as a shoulder back it is home to my 100-400mm zoom and 1.4 teleconverter.

It has a detachable shoulder strap and also has MOLLe fitting so you can attach it the hip-belt of an F-Stop backpack (though I usually have a smaller Redfern pouch attached to hold my Lee Filters)

ONA bags are mighty fine, the wax canvas is a bit of a dust agent but the leather ones are looooooveeelllyyyyy. The Bowery is perfect for a one/two camera set up and spares, I'd often have a two camera 23/56 combo with an i40 in there plus batteries, cloth, business cards etc...

Today I took my X-PRO2 out with the 2/18 on it and the 1.4/35 in a Crumpler banana cube [small]. Room for the usual accessories too.

• 4 weeks later...

Bare bones bag... Or get custom from Courierware. These are discrete and stylish. BareBones Bags are made by CourierWare. I spent forever looking for a bag to go to the symphony that did not look like a camera bag. My quest finally ended with a custom bag.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Peak design has a new kickstarter for a new sling bag. It might be just what you're looking for.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/peak-design/the-everyday-backpack-tote-and-sling

I am backing the sling on this kickstarter.  Very excited about it.  Although for what the OP is looking for, might even consider the Field Pouch, which I have added to my pledge to PD this time around.

• 4 weeks later...

My XT-1 with 18 f/2 has not been in a bag yet, as I have just purchased it.

However, I have a perfect fit for this lens and a second to also fit into the bag.

I personally wear belt bags, even though my belt bags also are shoulder bags.

The little bag I am planning to use is the: Lowepro Adventura SH 110 II Shoulder Bag

Dimensions:    7.5 L x  4.3 T x  4.6 W

I am still trying to find my second lens, either the 60 f/2.4 or 35 f/2 to complete my kit,

and fit into this bag.

It is really nice that I have recently acquired this bag, it being new also for this new "kit"...    :)

UPDATE:  Receiving my 60 f/2.4 today! The 18 f2 is nice, but I do like longer...  

Also received the The Adventura SH 160 II:
http://store.lowepro.com/adventura-sh-160-ii?utm_source=criteo&utm_medium=retarget_banner&utm_campaign=criteo_retargeting

This Adventura 160 II is similar to the Lowepro Rezo 170-AW Shoulder Bag.
But the Adventura is a little shorter. I like the Rezo for my DSLRs. But, I think this
Adventura will be just right for the Fuji and my lenses + other gear...
It has a useful front pocket and even an inside pocket I find handy also...

These are all very handy and convenient shoulder bags, also with two nice belt loops
which are much better for bag balance on my belt...

Edited by Chayelle