Fuji XF 27mm 2.8 - disassembled

yukosteel

Spent some time today playing with Fuji XF 27mm 2.8 lens. Disassembly went well, and I was able to remove one very big and annoying dust particle.

Sharing these photos just to show how this nice tiny pancake lens is constructed inside.

I was not able to disassemble main front lens module thought. Probably the front plate can be unscrewed/removed somehow, but it can be also put on glue. At least the rear lens group was secured with tiny glue applications in.

Fuji XF 27mm 2.8 - mount parts

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Fuji XF 27mm 2.8 - main lens frame with autofocus drive and focus ring

Fuji XF 27mm 2.8 - inner lens module where all glass is located

Fuji XF 27mm 2.8 - rear lens module is secured with square glue applications

part 2...

Fuji XF 27mm 2.8 - rear lens group removed

Fuji XF 27mm 2.8 - disassembled focus helicoid - all parts are plastic except the metal ring that secures outer cylinder

Fuji XF 27mm 2.8 - another view to helicoid parts

Fuji XF 27mm 2.8 - this drive controls lens aperture

Edited by yukosteel

Actually lens group assembly is taken out from the front.

here are steps:

1. Unscrew 3 black and 4 silver screws (carefully, they all sit in plastic thread)

2. Remove rear inner plastic ring, remove metal mount ring, remove metal shims

3. Unscrew 3 black screws that hold rear body ring, remove ring

4. Carefully detach 2 contact ribbon cables

5. Unscrew 3 black screws on mainboard, carefully remove mainboard

6. Unscrew 3 black screws  on the bottom of lens frame, gently detach adhesive tape from wide ribbon cable

7. Slowly take out all lens assembly module from the front area

8. Remove 3 glue applicaitons in slider holes near rear lens group

9. Rotate rear lens group 10 degrees CCW, pull it away

10. Rotate silver metal ring 5 degrees CCW, detach it

11. Unscrew outer helicoid ring (remember its position)

12. Unscrew 1 black screw that holds aperture sensor

13. Remove black thin plastic ring on the bottom of helicoid

14. Remove inner helicoid ring

I didn't find any way to disassemble front lens group. So just removed all dust I can, and assembled the lens back. It operates great.

Rear glass group sits firm on it's place, and I didn't touch all other glass, so no optical calibration required. As for the mount calibration you just need to make sure if there are any mount shims to put them back into right place. I've checked few shots after assembly - all field is sharp on f2.8, no quality degradation.

So what glue did you use for the 3 slider holes..?

I used what was available in my shelf - it was some glue for paper : ) Once it dries the glue prevents rear group from rotation in sliding holes.

I'd recommend to use any glue type that does not damage plastic, and can be removed later if needed.

I followed your instructions, however, the dust I wanted to remove (visible at f11) was between the front elements. Has anyone been lucky with this? My best guess is that you could use a suction tool to see if unscrewing the middle element is possible.

Just looked at XF 27mm specificaitons , looks like most of the dust comes to aperture area because of bad air isolation around it.

It does not sound safe to extract 5th asph element with suction tool, you'll still need to extract 4th and 3rd, and that may cause misalignment.

I also don't know how firm they are sitting there.

That's really fun idea :) Of course technically it's very complex to do, because focus and aperture are also electronically controlled in EOS-M.

Pancakes are always joy to use, 22 would be definitely a winner. I think Fuji Rumors published something about probability of XF 23mm f2 lens so it's better to wait if Fuji decide to make such thing.

I've made couple of test shots today on F11 and don't see any influence from the dust under front elements.

Do you have any Xf 27mm shot samples with "dust issue"?

Generally I don't think that dusts at front end of lenses affect picture at all.

If I am skeptical, I may say it causes some light flare/diffraction earlier and cause some stray light in the chambers which may cause some reduction in contrast. But I believe, my mind has more effect than the dust itself. :lol:

Interesting. I just got the 27mm f/2.8. It would be nice if Fuji decided to release an updated version with a faster maximum aperature IMHO.

It'd be nice but then the lens would be heavier and larger, the size is it's main selling point. I'm happy with the lens as it is, it's super sharp, light and small. For fast there is the 23 f/1.4 and the 35 f/1.4. 

• 2 weeks later...

Generally I don't think that dusts at front end of lenses affect picture at all.

If I am skeptical, I may say it causes some light flare/diffraction earlier and cause some stray light in the chambers which may cause some reduction in contrast. But I believe, my mind has more effect than the dust itself. :lol:

This is how badly your glass needs to be smudged in order to make a difference to your pictures  ;)

Edited by MarkHaertl