My vintage X70 (not for weak hearted)

yes, some things are better not being understood, sometimes even MORE so by those who do those things...since one might discover sides of one's personality which are better left uncovered.

Discussing things that we don’t like is what we all do. Just look at politics. I am sure you have opinions on something that others do or think and you don’t think or do yourself.

A forum is a place of discussion and we discuss things. Also things like these. Discussions are free and are only limited by forum rules, this discussion breaks none of them, so we are allowed to discuss it, that’s what a discussion forum is all about.

Discussing things... not just nod yes.

Edited by milandro

the gaffer tape is another type of affectation, as you can see it is carefully placed where the model and brand of the camera will be...don’t show the brand of your camera at all cost!

The whole thing started in movies where you show brands only if they pay you and if they don’t they blacken the name of a camera (and other things).

So someone read in this what it was not and took it as an incitement to fight consumerism or assess your individuality.

Some folks do it because the don’t want to advertise, some others do it to, supposedly, not attract the attention of thieves.

I don’t understand both stances, and I’ve said so many times, but apparently there are people out there who really remove any brand from their clothes, cars and other things like that. 

I go by the motto “ surtout pas trop de zèle”  I don’t normally pay attention to what kind of things ( because it isn’t only cameras, apparently) my neighbor uses  and thieves just see someone with a big black object in front of his face and a bag on the side. They have a split second to make a decision whether to snatch or not and they are more interested in the timing of their action than the camera which they might be stealing.

But we all have to find justification for our actions whether irrational or not.

Ah...I see. Thanks for clearing that up.

I agree with you on the thieving part. Most are crimes of opportunity.......unless you are brandishing and flaunting it.

Gaffa tape leaves gunk. You can clean it with some lighter fluid but if it has hardened, it leaves a permanent color difference.

Good Gaffer tape leaves no gunk. Gaffer tape is not duct tape, duct tape leaves a mess, gaffer tape doesn’t.

Ok. It must have been duct tape then.

On more than a few occasions, I've had to remove duct tape stuck on by owners needing repairs to their lenses. What a mess......what started off as trying to protect it caused more damage.

“...One of the most significant differences between gaffer tape and duct tape is that only the former can be removed cleanly. This is because gaffer tape does not use a natural rubber adhesive; it rather uses a synthetic adhesive that is petroleum based. Duct tape, on the other hand, does not remove cleanly and as mentioned above, a certain duct tape is especially prepared to be like gaffer tape so that it can be removed cleanly"

http://www.differencebetween.net/object/difference-between-gaffer-tape-and-duct-tape/

When I was at photography college ( Istituto Europeo di Design of Milan) we were not allowed to use anything (including paper masking tape) other than proper gaffer tape ( which leaves no mark) because anything else ( they provided us with gaffer to make sure you wouldn’t use “ alternative” an) would have left marks (and even take away paint) from the various surfaces.

A gaffer is someone who works in film production and the gaffer tape is specially made to be used on film and photographic equipment.

Edited by milandro

That's good knowledge.

Come to think of it, it makes sense for duct tape to be gooey. For it's intended purposes, which is to tape pipes and ducting, a bit of goo makes for a better airtight/water tight seal. I purchased 3M Duct tape thinking it would peel clean but alas......

This, you know it's heavily used and not because of unnecessary abuse........ I wonder why they always have to use gaffer tape on the brand. Testing out prototypes?

These are Kevin Mullin's Pro2's so I'm positive one of them is probably the prototype, and anther is one he probably purchased, or they both may be.  I think they have to send back the prototypes after a little while.  Mullin's also does a lot of street photography, so that may be why he tapes them up, but I have yet to understand, like Milandro said, either side of this argument.  Seems from an interview I heard from him on ƒfoton that he doesn't use his wedding cameras for street though...I could be wrong...Still...Hard to believe these are less than a year old though.  He is a busy photographer...

There is another form of duct tape out there.  Electricians Duct Tape.  It won't leave residue behind.  It's cheaper then Gaff and won't absorb like other cloth type tapes will, but I think you're probably still better off with Gaff.  It was made for what we want to use it for..

Edited by CRAusmus

These are Kevin Mullin's Pro2's so I'm positive one of them is probably the prototype, and anther is one he probably purchased, or they both may be.  I think they have to send back the prototypes after a little while.  Mullin's also does a lot of street photography, so that may be why he tapes them up, but I have yet to understand, like Milandro said, either side of this argument.  Seems from an interview I heard from him on ƒfoton that he doesn't use his wedding cameras for street though...I could be wrong...Still...Hard to believe these are less than a year old though.  He is a busy photographer...

There is another form of duct tape out there.  Electricians Duct Tape.  It won't leave residue behind.  It's cheaper then Gaff and won't absorb like other cloth type tapes will, but I think you're probably still better off with Gaff.  It was made for what we want to use it for..

Kevin Mullins probably doesn't have the time to "weather" his cameras to get that antique look :D leave alone pamper his camera.

I have tried fire retardant 3M electrical tape during my days in IASCA tournaments. They work great and doesn't leave gunk like you said.

Yes indeed. In fact, what we call duct tape was originally called duck tape, because it's made of the loosely-woven cotton cloth known in the trade as 'duck'. But obscure facts aside, I can see why, as a working pro testing a prototype, you might want to disguise that fact from prying eyes. But I can't see why anyone else would want to put tape on a regular production camera for any reason. It doesn't make it any less intimidating for subjects having a camera pointed at them, or disguise what kind of camera it is to anyone with any interest in photography.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Warwick

I have to admit that it reminds me a little of the old Leica M series I used when working overseas, they had some genuine "brassing" from use that did look different and caused people to frown but they were working cameras and did a job!

It is your camera, your money and your choice so you do with it as you see fit. There are lots out there who spend good money on a camera and then do not use it so it remains in pristine condition and I find that sad.

I must admit that now I do photography purely as a hobby I do keep my kit in good condition as I now pay for it myself and if I want an upgrade, trade in price is a big part and no matter how much we say we will not let an item go, the lust of a newer better model can sometimes win out.

• 4 weeks later...

2016_0509_10550600-01_zps9r6k8yhr.jpeg2016_0509_10532100-01_zpse6wosj1t.jpeg

I have a soft spot for "well used" camera gears so after my X70 got it first "scratch"... Well now you know what happens next.

Hi,

In general I love to pimp my cameras. My aproach is more gentle but that's me. I would like to ask you whats the model of the thumb grip?

Best,

Monokul

• 3 months later...

I wonder if anyone has already started and rat modification of their expensive X-Pro 2 or X-T2 .

I am sure plenty will have placed gaffer tape to hide their cameras or making a point of not being prone to advertising (sic!) Fuji.

Come clean, show us the goods ( and bads !).

• 3 weeks later...

Can't understand why you did this to a new camera. If you want a used camera, make it because you're traveling and shooting a lot, not because you think it is stylish. For me it is stupid to have a fake used camera. 

Yeah, I don't get it.  What a phony.  There's nothing vintage about an X70.  Someone did this to an X-Pro1 a while back too.  Stupidity.

Holland is as safe a place as it can be.

I sometimes go around with a VERY flashy Petzval brass lens attached to my unobscured cameras. Never had a problem.

Also, spent Xmas in Italy with my X-T1. No problem. Cuba last summer, no problem.

But I also dress nicely and don’t put on any rags, just in case being dressed nicely might inspire someone to think of robbing me.

how gracious.

anyway, if you don’t like people commenting on this particular subject,  participation to this is not compulsory, in other words, if graping ( rather disturbing term) disturbs you, don’t follow the thread ( top right, click unfollow).

Shabby is shabby not chic

Edited by milandro

This is the problem with society today. Zero substance. Everyone wants to pretend to have experience and fake it.

Another problem with the society today is that as soon as anyone tries something different, there's an angry mob with torches and pitchforks trying to force that person back into the line of boring conformity with everyone else.