My vintage X70 (not for weak hearted)

Wow, never thought it would evokes so many comments with my X70 mod. Thanks to milandro I guess .

I posted an explanation earlier at Milandro topic at "general discussion" when he asked "why":

" I guess it's an "emotional" thing. Back in the days when I was a younger kid I found myself staring at "use camera" at the occasion department of our local camera store more then new products. I imagine where it has been and what kind of life it has to become worn-out like that. But with worn-out and beaten up like that it mostly broken on the inside so there's no point in buying one right? So I always buy a mint one and started the "Aging process", clearly this X70 is not my first "victim" .
Would I like a pre-aging jeans? No I don't. Would I do the same with my new car? Nope! But with cameras it's different. I want a old looking camera with present days tech behind it, that why I don't scratch up the lcd or lens to complete that look. With and pre-aging jeans I pay for holes and that's it.
I can be extremely protected when it comes to new gears but being careful all the time is extremely tiresome so just one time I use my spanking new X70 wich I love a lot to give that personal look and keep it for a really long time."

Thanks everyone for some interesting reactions. Here's how my X70 stands at the moment. Added a new "every day" hood, easy for slipping in and out my pocket. Also "Fake" "rosewood" looks to "brake" up the black a bit.

Fuji X70

PicsArt_06-09-09.56.40_zpsve8ihaw6.jpg

Edited by FujiGlitch

I don’t think that there are many cameras with real leather these days.

My Rolleiflex GX 2.8 60 years edition came with a real snake leather and gold trims. I miss that camera which despite the fact it was a collector’s edition I used (took pictures for CD’s covers). I sold it because I don’t shoot analog anymore.

You can buy the Asahi-Aki skins. Some are sold as “ Leather”(real?) others are sold as “ Leatherette” (Plastic).

http://www.aki-asahi.com/store/

3542096602_f245d9d36d_z.jpg?zz=1

I was thinking to buy one for the X-E2, they are really nice and well made. Unfortunately Mr. Asahi has told me that he hasn’t been able to make one for X-T1 ( due to some shape problems which he couldn’t accommodate) which is a shame for all those who’ve experienced problems with the X-T1 in this region.

This thread has become so interesting, ironic, and kind of distressing—pun intended.

Distressed jeans. Distressed furniture. It's a design concept. It's not for everyone, and many of us, myself included, protect our camera to preserve its luster. I respect those whose view are divergent from my own, particularly if they seem peculiar or unexpected. 

I like what the OPer did to his camera. I admire his chutzpah. I draw no conclusions about him, the person, from this act. I can't judge him by the appearance of one of his possessions, I can't judge a book by its cover, and I can't make an assumption of the whole individual from this narrow slice of what I know about him. It seems reasonable to not like what he did to his camera, and to act on that revulsion by choosing not to do it to your own camera, but to draw conclusions about him, to judge him, and to and sling accusations about his purpose, his outlook, his world view. . . .   That, to me, is the false veneer. 

I logged in just to like this legendary post! The Internet is rather scary these days!  :lol:

Anyway, loving what the OP did with his/her camera, plus his/her responses to the negative comments!

Looking forward to your next look OP.  B)

I logged in just to like this legendary post! The Internet is rather scary these days! :lol:

Anyway, loving what the OP did with his/her camera, plus his/her responses to the negative comments!

Looking forward to your next look OP. B)

Glad you could appreciate this post. I also like The post from Tommyboy. Very strong.

I'm a "he" by the way

Grtz Dan

Edited by FujiGlitch

@FujiGlitch, what color is the body underneath the scratch exactly? Is it a kind of white/grey plastic like on the X-E1, or a more metal/silver color?

With the processing on the photos it's a bit hard to tell :)

I think with an aged leather it would look very nice!

@FujiGlitch, what color is the body underneath the scratch exactly? Is it a kind of white/grey plastic like on the X-E1, or a more metal/silver color?

With the processing on the photos it's a bit hard to tell :)

I think with an aged leather it would look very nice!

It's all metal Kalram, only the lcd rim is plastic. 

• 2 months later...

The problem with these types of "weathering" is that although it looks good to the amateur, most seasoned photographers can immediately see that it is fake because there are "weathering" marks where there should not be if from normal usage.

:huh:  Is this really A PROBLEM? :rolleyes:

In any case, I was inspired by some of the photos:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

it is not a problem, but it is a “ pretend” decorative element. One pretends to have warn out the camera by work while it was done by steel wool and paint. 

As said before I have a long scar on my forearm which I got as a 2 year old kid while “ conducting” music on a glass table.

I could easily pretend that that was a “ battle scar” which I got from some bar fight but that would be stupid.

Similarly if I don’t go scratch my car to pretend I am a rally driver. But some people do.

Horses for courses.

these are new cars wrapped to pretend they are rally cars.

crap-wraps-are-a-wrapzone-speciality.jpg

This is what a pro's camera looks like.

I like the look of what ya'll have done, but Milandro nailed it.  They don't look like a professional's does.  But it's your camera, and they do look kinda cool..

This, you know it's heavily used and not because of unnecessary abuse........ I wonder why they always have to use gaffer tape on the brand. Testing out prototypes?

the gaffer tape is another type of affectation, as you can see it is carefully placed where the model and brand of the camera will be...don’t show the brand of your camera at all cost!

The whole thing started in movies where you show brands only if they pay you and if they don’t they blacken the name of a camera (and other things).

So someone read in this what it was not and took it as an incitement to fight consumerism or assess your individuality.

Some folks do it because the don’t want to advertise, some others do it to, supposedly, not attract the attention of thieves.

I don’t understand both stances, and I’ve said so many times, but apparently there are people out there who really remove any brand from their clothes, cars and other things like that. 

I go by the motto “ surtout pas trop de zèle”  I don’t normally pay attention to what kind of things ( because it isn’t only cameras, apparently) my neighbor uses  and thieves just see someone with a big black object in front of his face and a bag on the side. They have a split second to make a decision whether to snatch or not and they are more interested in the timing of their action than the camera which they might be stealing.

But we all have to find justification for our actions whether irrational or not.

Yes, I feel the same way! :) 
And you're right; I also believe that not everyone always has to understand everything. That would be too much. ;) 

I use my cameras to take pictures. I usually take them with me. They are Commodities. Over time they get their patina automatically. I like that, it is part of the game.
What is once bought by me, usually remains until the "bitter end". I am no one who buys and sells frequently and therefore has to look at the appearance of the equipment. For example: from time to time I even also take pictures with my first cameras from the mid-80s (Yashica and Nikon). They have been quite far around the world and look therefore accordingly.
The X-Pro1 and X-T1 still also have their marks. And the X-PRO has now just gotten a little extra color, cause I like it. :P 

But as already stated, it is really simple:
Not everyone needs to understand everything
. Tastes obviously differ. But one can also simply accept other tastes/opinions, as long as they do not harm somebody. And therefore it is not necessary to discuss everything down to the last detail  :rolleyes: