My vintage X70 (not for weak hearted)

This is done with guitars as well.  These fellows will "relic" your guitar for you.  It's a whole process, with interviews, style of music, using strong UV light and everything. One guy even makes guitars SMELL old. 

http://www.reliced.com/relicing-process/

http://www.guitarrelicing.com/#!about-relicing/c42f

You could be the "Camera Relicer"    Learn the art, make a fortune! (Maybe)  :-) 

Let me guess. Do u have fashion tatoos too? Do u wear fashion glasses when u dont wear glasses? Do u spend hours trimming ur facial hair every day? Do u splash mud on ur Truck/SUV to appear macho? Do u smoke cigars to be more manly?  Do u sand ur motorcycle tires sidewalls to pretend that you know how to lean?

DO u know what a hipster means? It means all for show. No substance all show.  U r definitely a member of the hipster club.

Do u follow the wind whereever it blows? Do u hang on the coattails by supporting every sports team that wins the championship so u can be part of the winners even though you dont care about the sport or know anyting about it?   

This is the problem with society today. Zero substance. Everyone wants to pretend to have experience and fake it.

Where r ur actual photos?  Wearing down ur equipment grants u zero credibility as a photographer.  JUst so u know.

I hate having that conversation. Honestly, I hate talking about cameras with people. Talking photography is great but there are so many people that just want to talk megapixels and frames per second. The worst conversation is when some asshole just insists that Nikon or Canon or Pentax or whatever is best. 

I sold cameras at the retail and wholesale level for about 10 years. My most frequent query was "What is the best camera?" I always replied, "The one you have with you."

I find it very sensible to modify de camera to whatever look you'd like. At the end of the day it's a design object that you can enhance at will. Authenticity is out of the cuestion from the moment the whole Fujifilm X camera system is a recreation of long time ago extinted cameras.

Hurra for your sand blasted camera!

I think the people with negative comments are being a little unfair. It's a little silly to call it a "fraud" camera and maybe they're forgetting the spirit of the X-camera line. Many people buy X-cameras because it makes people feel a certain way or give them a feeling a nostalga in addition to it being a great photographic tool - this affects both photographers and the people around them. The looks are a big part of the X DNA, it reminds them of something from a different time.

In its price range there are other cameras arguably more capable but again, there's a reason why people buy X-cameras.

Some people might go as far as to say that people who shoot X-cameras are hipsters or wannabe film shooters.

I'd say, if you want your camera to look or appear to be vintage, then more power to you. Hell, you can spray paint it pink for all I care. It's yours and do what you wish.

I knew a mixed heritage Caucasian/Chinese girl once who used to dye her hair black so that she looks like the rest of her school mates. No one knew she was a blonde.

A rich kid in my school who used to step on his own new shoes so that they appear worn. He's gone on to become one of the most generous person I know to date.

We live in an imposing world. People just like to impose on others. The trick is to stop letting people impose on us and more importantly, stop imposing on others.

Hell, you can spray paint it pink for all I care. It's yours and do what you wish.

Like this? This guy couldn't sell his camera even after one year of posting! :lol:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Aswald

Of course one can do anything one wants with the things that are his or hers.

Not only on a camera since there are people out there who are into more or less extreme forms of body modification and yes, it is their body even if some have managed to make it look like a serious accident happened to them.

The freedom to do anything that you want with things that are “ yours” doesn’t prevent the rest of people to have a reaction and an opinion about what amounts to communication.

If I wear a t-shirt with a shocking text is because I want to shock people. If people are shocked:

1) I shouldn’t be surprised

2) I’ve achieved what I wanted to do

If I make a camera to look like it has been used a very long time, and in so doing implying that I am:

1) a photographer which shoots really a lot

2) a photographer which only cares about the “ substace of things” as I have a working camera that looks like shite, but hey, I am “ degagee” and only care about function.

(...except that now the looks are not the result of use but the result of a preordained desire to show how much I photograph so I maybe caring about its looks even more than I care about its function, no?)

May I add that it could be a case of customizing the camera to reflect a style that the owner feels good and love using.

I've attended art school a bit and students are thought to express themselves through their work. Perhaps making a "vintage" looking camera is OP's way of expressing his style. Afterall, he did say he's into model making. We haven't seen what he/she looks like. It is somewhat odd to see a shiny looking camera hanging around a rugged looking person.

It's like how some people prefer Hawkesmill bags instead of Chrome Niko Backpack or More casual Domke. Somehow, out of these three you may find one which will find reflect your style and feel happy using. Does it say anything about your personality? Probably yes. Does it show your intent? Probably not.

I'm really a Hawkesmill guy but I bought the Chrome Niko Backpack as it was more practical for what I intend to do. Don't judge.

I love customization.

It certainly says things about oneself and it is not, normally, pretending anything just showing off, which I really don’t think there is anything wrong with.

Again, although I am not personally into steampunk myself I could see how a steampunk treatment would work on a Fuji camera.

Awaiting someone who will do something like this on a working Fuji camera! I think that building this around a Petzval on a fuji camera would be really a great start.

(not my camera)

tumblr_nqrkilWChj1sjeq7ho1_1280.jpg

Edited by milandro

I love customization.

It certainly says things about oneself and it is not, normally, pretending anything just showing off, which I really don’t think there is anything wrong with.

Again, although I am not personally into steampunk myself I could see how a steampunk treatment would work on a Fuji camera.

Awaiting someone who will do something like this on a working Fuji camera! I think that building this around a Petzval on a fuji camera would be really a great start.

(not my camera)

tumblr_nqrkilWChj1sjeq7ho1_1280.jpg

I'm drooling... ^_^ .......Emily Soto did a series with the Petzval Art. I think the results speak for itself.

https://www.lomography.com/magazine/310567-another-petzval-series-with-talented-photographer-emily-soto

I love the Petzval and I would have already bought one if I wouldn’t be afraid of investing too much in a “ one trick pony” Instead I have been experimenting with cheaper lenses and perhaps you’ve seen some of my experiments here.

http://www.fuji-x-forum.com/topic/2599-new-bokeh-monsters-or-classic-cheap-adapted-glass/

There are more things that I’ve done with other implements such as the tilt adapter

index.php

2016_0509_10550600-01_zps9r6k8yhr.jpeg2016_0509_10532100-01_zpse6wosj1t.jpeg

I have a soft spot for "well used" camera gears so after my X70 got it first "scratch"... Well now you know what happens next.

I love it.

As nice as the X70 is, it's an unremarkable camera.

THIS is now a remarkable camera.  I love the fact it looks well used but still state of the art tech.

There is a very clear distinction between violating civil liberties and just being rude on an Internet forum. I'm sure the "internet scholars" could educate us all on the true bedrock issues of our decaying society, but alas, that's another forum!

And I don't believe the OP started this thread to be "taught" anything. He was simply sharing his work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Criticising government and politicians is not just because they're violating "civil rights", but also about non-delivery of essential services, .e.g health care, clean drinking water and sweeping the streets.

Plus, my post in that regard was not directed at the OP and his pimped camera, but at the others suffering from social media syndrome.

I love it.

As nice as the X70 is, it's an unremarkable camera.

THIS is now a remarkable camera.  I love the fact it looks well used but still state of the art tech.

Good, how much would you pay for it? I am sure that there are more where this came from. A hole in the market?

Kind of makes my heart race, but if you're happy with it then have at it.

I prefer my camera to get scratched the old fashioned way, so I try not to baby them in the field, but no matter how hard I try, they still look fantastic.  I still don't have the guts to take some sand paper or something to them though.  Still, they do look cool when they "appear" well used.

Clearly, it's a thing.

X-Pro2_BK_AkiraSakamoto-11-720x405.jpg

The Lenny Kravitz Edition...

This camera is definitely not yours. I know this picture is officially uesd by Fuji and I know the german guy who used this preproduction X-Pro2

This thread has become so interesting, ironic, and kind of distressing—pun intended.

Distressed jeans. Distressed furniture. It's a design concept. It's not for everyone, and many of us, myself included, protect our camera to preserve its luster. I respect those whose view are divergent from my own, particularly if they seem peculiar or unexpected. 

I like what the OPer did to his camera. I admire his chutzpah. I draw no conclusions about him, the person, from this act. I can't judge him by the appearance of one of his possessions, I can't judge a book by its cover, and I can't make an assumption of the whole individual from this narrow slice of what I know about him. It seems reasonable to not like what he did to his camera, and to act on that revulsion by choosing not to do it to your own camera, but to draw conclusions about him, to judge him, and to and sling accusations about his purpose, his outlook, his world view. . . .   That, to me, is the false veneer.