My vintage X70 (not for weak hearted)

If you don't have anything nice to say, than don't say it all. Something we all should have learned in kindergarten.

It is that type of reasoning that is the primary cause for all the troubles in the world today. For example, if your government isn't doing what it should be doing, then you as a citizen should darn well make it known to them.

Or on another side, how do you expect to learn photography if your teacher cannot criticise your work? Frankly, you don't and that is why most "pros" suck at photography.

It is that type of reasoning that is the primary cause for all the troubles in the world today. For example, if your government isn't doing what it should be doing, then you as a citizen should darn well make it known to them.

Or on another side, how do you expect to learn photography if your teacher cannot criticise your work? Frankly, you don't and that is why most "pros" suck at photography.

1. Slight difference because this X70 in no way affects you negatively.

2. How will criticizing his X70 help him improve his photography. If anything he will be more likely to take risks to get a shot because he isn't obsessed about scratching the camera or worry about it being stolen like he would a pristine camera.

One can only assume that everyone criticizing you for faking a look have never used any of Fuji's "Film Simulations".

Well, I for one never liked FUJIFILM's films, so that a big yes in that I don't use the film simulations apart from the "Standard" one.

1. Slight difference because this X70 in no way affects you negatively.

2. How will criticizing his X70 help him improve his photography. If anything he will be more likely to take risks to get a shot because he isn't obsessed about scratching the camera or worry about it being stolen like he would a pristine camera.

1. The "weathering" is fake and looks fake.

2a. Over here in Africa, we steal anything and everything; so nothing gained.

2b. Being obsessed about scratching the camera is rather counter-intuitive to what was done to it.

So, that fact shows that you switch on and off you camera a lot. They are scars produced by use.

What does OP’s scratches caused by abrasion made with sandpaper or steel wool say? 

You got to earn your stripes, scars and scratches. 

What would you think of someone making an offroad car with spray paint simulating mud? I know that you now probably think that I am crazy but not, it does exist!

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2005/jun/14/uknews

“ ...According to the company's website, spray-on mud can help give your friends, family and neighbours the impression you've just come back from a day's shooting, fishing or visiting friends who live on a farm; anything but driving around in town all day or visiting an out-of-town retail park.

"People may want to look like they've been off-road, but they certainly don't want any chips or scratches on the paintwork while they're doing the school run,”...."

​There are now “ wraps” simulating the dirt of a race car on a car that hasn’t raced a second in his life, and that’s a good job because most of their drivers would die because they are certainly inapt to race a car but they want “ the look"

worn-out-martini-livery-porsche-911-gt3-rs-has-awesome-beater-look_7.jpg

distress new, old looking furniture, burnt o made on purpose, from pieces, but expensive, of course and their cheap equivalent copies too

dutch-design-chair-made-from-durable-cardboard-3.jpg

Willow-5-Drawer-Chest-LARK2415.jpg

These are times of “ pretend” 

Tattoos can be bought, scars have to be earned!

Edited by milandro

1. The "weathering" is fake and looks fake.

2a. Over here in Africa, we steal anything and everything; so nothing gained.

2b. Being obsessed about scratching the camera is rather counter-intuitive to what was done to it.

1. It looks good to him, which is all that matters.

2a. He doesn't live there.

2b. Not necessarily.

So, that fact shows that you switch on and off you camera a lot. They are scars produced by use.

What does OP’s scratches caused by abrasion made with sandpaper or steel wool say? 

You got to earn your stripes, scars and scratches. 

What would you think of someone making an offroad car with spray paint simulating mud? I know that you now probably think that I am crazy but not, it does exist!

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2005/jun/14/uknews

“ ...According to the company's website, spray-on mud can help give your friends, family and neighbours the impression you've just come back from a day's shooting, fishing or visiting friends who live on a farm; anything but driving around in town all day or visiting an out-of-town retail park.

"People may want to look like they've been off-road, but they certainly don't want any chips or scratches on the paintwork while they're doing the school run,”...."

​There are now “ wraps” simulating the dirt of a race car on a car that hasn’t raced a second in his life, and that’s a good job because most of their drivers would die because they are certainly inapt to race a car but they want “ the look"

worn-out-martini-livery-porsche-911-gt3-rs-has-awesome-beater-look_7.jpg

distress new, old looking furniture, burnt o made on purpose, from pieces, but expensive, of course and their cheap equivalent copies too

dutch-design-chair-made-from-durable-cardboard-3.jpg

Willow-5-Drawer-Chest-LARK2415.jpg

These are times of “ pretend” 

Tattoos can be bought, scars have to be earned!

I only care if the person is pretending that mud and those example of distressing were earned. He is not doing that.

“ A rose is a rose is a rose is a rose “ and "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet"

A fake is a fake is a fake is a fake and call it what you want, it remains a fake.

And the X70 is a fake rangefinder camera; its styled like one but doesn't even have a viewfinder. Where do you draw the line?

It bears mentioning that he never pretended that it wasn't fake distressing.

Edited by darngooddesign

Saw this on eBay and had a wee chuckle:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Fujifilm-XF-35mm-f-2-R-WR-Lens-Black-/162094672475?hash=item25bd986a5b:g:cL8AAOSwbYZXVOYI

A quote from the description:

"Also includes a vented lens hood that has been sanded down for that Viet Nam War photographer look (only the third party hood has been sanded - the lens and Fuji accessories are perfect)."

No, it is not a rangefinder camera it is an optical viewfinder camera.

Cameras with an optical viewfinder without a rangefinder, were around already when I was a kid and that was a long time ago, so, no fake there.

Agfa_Click-II.jpg

The Italian language has given the world a great idiom which isn’t used by any other language and that is “ climbing  on mirrors” to mean when someone fights to find a logical explanation and justification where there isn’t one.

Edited by milandro

And that Agfa is not styled like an old Leica or Fuji rangefinder. Almost every Fuji body is a simulation of an older style, so regardless if that appeals to you they are faking a retro look. The Pro 1 was a very close copy of the X-Pan, even down to the style of the grip, which is fine with my because that was a beautiful camera. As opposed to say the Sony A6300 or Canon M3 which are modern designs while being rectangular bodies.

Edited by darngooddesign

One of the reasons of the succes of Fuji is indeed its “ vintage” looks, but that doesn’t mean that they are pretending that the cameras were used to death.

Leica, with the Lenny Kravitz reporter model does.

I find that beneath their level and they should have never done that

Leica-M-P-Typ-240-Lenny-Kravitz-edition-camera.jpg

I am not against looks ( I would approve of a good steampunk camera ) or even personalization ( I love the Asahi Aki skins and probably will buy one) I am against pretending.

I’ve discussed this thread with my wife and we came up with the concept that you could maybe sell pre stained kitchen aprons to show that you are a good cook? 

It’s like buying a fake diploma from a bogus university ( I use to get those emails long ago) and hang it up behind your desk. I once met such a person and he was also reminiscing the time when he was at university (while he had never been there). 

A fake by any other name is still a fake.

One of the reasons of the succes of Fuji is indeed its “ vintage” looks, but that doesn’t mean that they are pretending that the cameras were used to death.

Leica, with the Lenny Kravitz reporter model does.

I find that beneath their level and they should have never done that

Leica-M-P-Typ-240-Lenny-Kravitz-edition-camera.jpg

I am not against looks ( I would approve of a good steampunk camera ) or even personalization ( I love the Asahi Aki skins and probably will buy one) I am against pretending.

I’ve discussed this thread with my wife and we came up with the concept that you could maybe sell pre stained kitchen aprons to show that you are a good cook? 

It’s like buying a fake diploma from a bogus university ( I use to get those emails long ago) and hang it up behind your desk. I once met such a person and he was also reminiscing the time when he was at university (while he had never been there). 

A fake by any other name is still a fake.

Fuji could have made the X-T1 look like a modern curvy DSLR, but they chose to look vintage; its a fake style that I and many others find appealing. They could have even made a modern body with marked dials. Heck, prior to the X100, curvy bodies is what Fuji was making. Its a direction that has been very successful for them, but there is nothing authentic about the retro styling and film simulations Fuji uses, but its funny the things we object to.

Your diploma analogy is not relevant because Glitch is not pretending to have earned those scratches.

I don't care if someone distress their camera, I only care if they pretend the distressing is real.

Edited by darngooddesign

There is a very clear distinction between violating civil liberties and just being rude on an Internet forum. I'm sure the "internet scholars" could educate us all on the true bedrock issues of our decaying society, but alas, that's another forum!

And I don't believe the OP started this thread to be "taught" anything. He was simply sharing his work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In another photography forum I showed a photo of my old EOS 30D taking a shower after it had been thrown into the snow -->  :angry:  not very nice comments from the other forum members ... (the cam still worked, afterwards)

I just love cameras which look good even after being mistreated. Can't imagine what a plastic body would look if treated like the X70 :o

I confess sometimes I use something like a vintage look filter on my mirrorless cam. :P

27286570820_961f31f569_m.jpg2016-06-05 1219 C43051_dpp by Rainer Büsching, auf Flickr

Feeling guilty on image fraud... ;)

Leica declares

“ For instance, the glossy black enamel of the camera and the two lenses have been intentionally aged in homage to a well-used camera system, showing a distinctive patina  that would usually point to many years of constant use. To achieve this look, every camera and lens of the edition was ‘aged’ entirely by hand to create absolutely unique individual products."

Of course every forger says they made an “ hommage “ and not a forgery.