My vintage X70 (not for weak hearted)

It's cool. I like it.  It's a commentary (conscious ??) on equipment as objects of ownership vs.tools for a purpose.  

A couple of months ago I sat down on a stone bench to change lenses.  The X-M1 was placed carefully on the bench beside me.  Some guy came along, asked if it was a Fuji and said he was shocked I would treat a Fuji that way (setting on a stone bench).   I was a little confused until I figured out he was serious.  I explained I was more interested in what the camera could for me than to treat it like jewelry.  Nice guy but all he wanted to talk about was cameras -- not one word about what I was doing with it, (which might have been interesting since I had had it IR converted..  

I know someone here who takes his Toyota 4x4 out to remote ares of the southwest where roads are primitive to say the least.  He tells me that when he bought it one of his first acts was to bash a large dent in the body work so he could past that stage of new vehicle obsession and get on with just using it as intended.

seriously, this is a digital camera not an good old mechanical film camera. By the time it got banged up like that from actual use I doubt it will be still functioning at all, so why not just go ahead and make it unique while it still works for you.

Just like some people swear by buying a brand new jeans and wear/tear it down through time, and some just get the pre-washed/teared one from store. To each of their own, if OP is happy with this, he owns every right to do so, not to mention it does take massive guts and skill to do so. 

Grats on the handy work  ;)

Wouah !! That's extreme and beautiful !! I love it ! But I don't think I could do that to my own camera. I was thinking doing something like that on my Nikon F3, but finally I prefer keep it like it is.

This is what I've done on my X100s and SX70 , but definitely less "extreme" than what you make:

XtL1Cpkm.jpg

Edited by drsnake

Now this is what all new photographers should do with their cameras. Here is why...

It is the quickest way to get over gear obsession. Now that its all beat up go on making great photographs. Get down and dirty. Set it on the ground, throw it in the air, take it in the steamy spa... Go places you would not go with a perfect condition camera.  

Also you won't be able to re-sell it for anything so you might as well forget about upgrading it to the newest flashest gear.

Each new scratch on my xt1 is a badge of honor and another great reason to keep it around for a lot longer.  

It's cool. I like it.  It's a commentary (conscious ??) on equipment as objects of ownership vs.tools for a purpose.  

A couple of months ago I sat down on a stone bench to change lenses.  The X-M1 was placed carefully on the bench beside me.  Some guy came along, asked if it was a Fuji and said he was shocked I would treat a Fuji that way (setting on a stone bench).   I was a little confused until I figured out he was serious.  I explained I was more interested in what the camera could for me than to treat it like jewelry.  Nice guy but all he wanted to talk about was cameras -- not one word about what I was doing with it, (which might have been interesting since I had had it IR converted..  

I know someone here who takes his Toyota 4x4 out to remote ares of the southwest where roads are primitive to say the least.  He tells me that when he bought it one of his first acts was to bash a large dent in the body work so he could past that stage of new vehicle obsession and get on with just using it as intended.

I hate having that conversation. Honestly, I hate talking about cameras with people. Talking photography is great but there are so many people that just want to talk megapixels and frames per second. The worst conversation is when some asshole just insists that Nikon or Canon or Pentax or whatever is best. 

with no viewfinder i'm assuming you're holding that "vintage" camera like a point and shoot to take pics?  lol.      

Probably holds this 'Vintage' camera like an actual 'Vintage' camera...a Hasselblad, Rolleiflex or Mamiya with a waist level finder. :)

You've basically 'theft-proofed' this X-70. No one will look at that and think "VALUABLE". 

I hate having that conversation. Honestly, I hate talking about cameras with people. Talking photography is great but there are so many people that just want to talk megapixels and frames per second. The worst conversation is when some asshole just insists that Nikon or Canon or Pentax or whatever is best. 

Or when they want to tell you why "photo cameras" should never have 4k.   :rolleyes:

Many Thanks everybody!!! Haven't visit my thread lately so this is a great suprise. Having a Big smile on my face while reading so here's my last X70 "sex up" picture. hope you all like.

PicsArt_05-31-12.25.08-01_zpse8pavfnf.jp

I do like that hood.  You have a link or anything for it?

I am sure that a couple of deep scratches would greatly improve the looks.

Try brushing a couple times some tarmac with it.

Sure, I could go that route but it wouldn't be cool cause the marks wouldn't shows brass or alluminium color rather brush up rubber.

I know someone here who takes his Toyota 4x4 out to remote ares of the southwest where roads are primitive to say the least. He tells me that when he bought it one of his first acts was to bash a large dent in the body work so he could past that stage of new vehicle obsession and get on with just using it as intended.

Yeah, I can relate myself to that

I do like that hood. You have a link or anything for it?

There ya go. It's for the X100 series but work just as good as on the X70 if you got the X70. You have to purchase an adapter with a 49mm filter thread though, just get on of those cheap Chinese knockoff vented lens hood use it adapter and your good to go.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/172081681552

Edited by FujiGlitch

Even though one is of course free to do whatever one wants with their own things...There is a world of difference in between these two stances.

Placing a scratch or a dent on anything to avoid obsessing on its perfection and scratching the entire body of a new camera to simulate long term use are in different leagues.

There is the myth of the “ humility block” attributed to several groups or professions who are all said to include purposely made asymmetries and imperfections in clothes or works of art or craft to enhance and signify that perfection pertains only to G-D.

Quite a different league than in carefully scratching your camera (watch, guitar, or anything you wish to scratch) to pretend it has been through the wars and has seen miles and miles before looking as it does.

As said before, like for relic guitars and pre ripped jeans, there isn’t anything like nonchalant or dégagé about then, quite the contrary. 

It is a deliberate act to pretend that something has had an history that it hasn’t.