Hi, first post - help me decide :)

Hi there,

my first post here.

I'm not a Fuji user yet, but I'm trying to decide which Fuji to buy for my girlfriend.

Right now I'm considering the Fuji X-T10 and the Fuji X-E2.

What she needs is a camera with interchangeable lenses, will mount old manual lenses too (Nikon, M42, OM Zuiko), but a good automatic might be good as well.

She loves architecture but people too, so I thought a zoom lens could work. Perhaps the kit lens, since the budget is kind of limited.

From what I've heard X-T10 and X-E2 are both very good cameras, with differences mainly in the ergonomics, though I'm not sure if there's some other difference to consider about the two cameras.

This will be our first step into the Fuji's world. After the Fuji for my girlfriend I might consider one for my self.

Right now I'm using a Sony A6000, which I initially bought mainly for its video features.

At the moment it seems Fuji is not investing much in video, which is the reason that keeps me hesitating in buying a Fuji myself.

But things might change (and hopefully will).

Anyway, if you have advice regarding my girlfriend's purchase, please post here, I'd greatly appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Andrew

a good automatic might be good as well.

In this case I'd go for the X-T10, which has a full auto mode with scene recognition. The X-E2 has not this feature, but the X-E2S has it. Keep in mind: the X-T10 has a tilt screen.

Regarding the lenses, for architecture I can recommend the 14mm (which is optically corrected and basically distortion free). As a second lens I'd go for a 35mm (F2 or F1.4). A pretty flexible focal length and good to photograph people, too.

If you go for a zoom lens, I'd recommend the XC16-50 over the XF18-55, because the additional 2mm on the wide end can be handy when shooting archtecture.

If you need better video features, you have to go for the X-TransIII + X-Processor Combo we find in the X-Pro2. The X-T20 will get that, too... but I don't know yet when they will release it... it might be some time  in 2017.

In this case I'd go for the X-T10, which has a full auto mode with scene recognition. The X-E2 has not this feature, but the X-E2S has it. Keep in mind: the X-T10 has a tilt screen.

Regarding the lenses, for architecture I can recommend the 14mm (which is optically corrected and basically distortion free). As a second lens I'd go for a 35mm (F2 or F1.4). A pretty flexible focal length and good to photograph people, too.

If you go for a zoom lens, I'd recommend the XC16-50 over the XF18-55, because the additional 2mm on the wide end can be handy when shooting archtecture.

If you need better video features, you have to go for the X-TransIII + X-Processor Combo we find in the X-Pro2. The X-T20 will get that, too... but I don't know yet when they will release it... it might be some time  in 2017.

Thank you for your reply Patrick.

So, I guess other than the auto focus features of the X-T10, the other big difference would be the viewfinder.

I would personally leaning toward the X-E2, but I'll see how my girlfriend reacts to the X-T10.

+1 for the X-T10: the tilt screen is extremely useful for landscape and architectural shots.

Buy her as well one of these:

Vertical Metal Quick Release L-Shaped Bracket Hand Grip for Fujifilm Fuji X-T10

It does wonders for the handling of the camera.

As for the lens, I bought the X-T10 with the 16-50 because it was the only kit available locally, thinking of changing it later with the 18-55. It turns out that I don't think I'll do it, because the XC16-50 (or at least my copy) is extremely good!

The tilt screen is more than a gimmik. It is really very helpful to find unusual points of view.

Yep, I use it on the A6000 and I find it useful too, thanks Jürgen.

+1 for the X-T10: the tilt screen is extremely useful for landscape and architectural shots.

Buy her as well one of these:

Vertical Metal Quick Release L-Shaped Bracket Hand Grip for Fujifilm Fuji X-T10

It does wonders for the handling of the camera.

As for the lens, I bought the X-T10 with the 16-50 because it was the only kit available locally, thinking of changing it later with the 18-55. It turns out that I don't think I'll do it, because the XC16-50 (or at least my copy) is extremely good!

Thanks for the heads up addicted2light.

I'll keep that in mind about the kit lens purchase.

I wasn't considering the hand grip actually, what's the advantage? Does it make the grip more relaxing?

I heard the X-T10 is a little heavier than the X-E2, so the hand grip might be an interesting option.

I wasn't considering the hand grip actually, what's the advantage? Does it make the grip more relaxing?

I heard the X-T10 is a little heavier than the X-E2, so the hand grip might be an interesting option.

I don't know if weight at this point is going to mean something, they are both so light...

And yes, the grip has 3 advantages:

1. it gives you "more" to grip, so your fingers can be more relaxed
  2. it gives you an Arca-compatible camera mount for when you use a tripod, and L shaped to booth (so instead of having to tilt the tripod head for a vertical shot and recompose, you can just slide the camera out and put it back on its side with minimal changes to your framing)
  3. it moves to the center of the camera the tripod hole (important mostly when you try to take panoramas, to be able to properly stitch the images)

It depends on your needs.

I do not recommend the auto mode or scene modes in the X-T10, as they don't give you raw files for more advanced processing later (I used to shoot only jpg and regret it dearly). If your girlfriend wants to get into serious photography, she won't be using these modes but wants to always shoot raw + fine.

That leaves the SLR form factor, the tilt screen, and price as the only differences.

I find the viewfinders of the X-E2 and the X-T10 quite similar in ergonomics (unlike the X-T1 which is much larger, giving the larger body), so it boils down to whether she likes the SLR form factor of the X-T10 or the rangefinder form factor of the X-E2.
The X-E2 built-in flash can be bent to the ceiling for a low powered bounce flash, which may come in handy in a pinch using ISO 400 or 800.

Most importantly, the X-E2 can be bought for less than the X-T10.

Here is a comparison of prices for X-E2 and X-T10 bodies on ebay. You'll see that X-E2 come first, as they are consistently sold for less, although they have the same autofocus system with firmware 4.0, and they deliver the same image quality.