X-Pro 2 diopter control dial loose, wobbles.

Had my Fuji X-Pro 2 for just over a month. Took it to Cuba to shoot and it was a pleasure to use. The images are great. Comparing the X-Pro 2 to My Canon 5D MK III, they look very similar in quality. The X-Pro 2 is, however, lighter, smaller, and quieter shooting. 

Now, my only real complaint is the diopter control on the left side of the camera body. On the X-E2 body the diopter is protected. On the X-Pro 2 it is not protected from any outside bumping. After about five days of shooting and travel I noticed the diopter control was loose and a bit wobbly. It seems if the screw had just backed out some. On sign of anything hitting. When we returned home, I got my tiny screwdriver set out to see all it needed was to be tightened (T-2 trox tip). Nope, the screw did not move. I was not going to force it. I contacted Fuji support and they said to send it back for repair.

Feels like this may be a design flaw. Has anyone else had this issue with your X-Pro 2? Otherwise, it's a great camera.

I don't have much to add except that i also am not a huge fan of the diopter control. It's one of those things that even if you need to use it you set it once and forget about it. It's really easy for it to turn just by taking the camera out of your bag.

I'm going to put a piece of tape over it this weekend and see if that solves it.

Mine was "loosy goosy" from delivery.  I am sure tape will fix it, but a little disappointing that for an expensive camera we have to use a little black tape to fix it.  The center screw just seems to be the attachment for the dial, not an over all tension adjustment, so I think it is a design problem.  Doubt sending it back to Fuji will fix it until they admit (very very unlikely) that it is a design flaw and offer a "fix".  If we wait for Fuji to do that the X-Pro 12 will be out!  Otherwise, though, an awesome camera.

Fixed mine today...

Got a torx 2 driver, actually came with an iPhone screen replacement. Need a small rubber o ring about the size of the number 0 here. Unscrewed the dial, fitted the o ring and screwed tightly back together. 2 mins maximum.

No wobble and the diopter works fine. How it should have been in my eyes.

If you look under the diopter dial there is a foam washer embedded into it. It is too soft and doesn't stop the movement.

Another alternative I was going to do was to shorted the screw holding it all together. But seeing as my fix worked for me I left that.

Hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

I have though able making a thin gasket with a slot cut in it. Then sliding it under the diopter dial to take the wobble out. Then adjust the diopter for my eyes and tapping it in place.

It does seem it is a design flaw. I have tried un screwing the center screw with a #2 torx. The screw did not feel it was moving at all. Did not want to strip it or break it off. If the gasket idea does not work, I will send it back to Fuji for warranty repair. I have already been it touch with them.

• 3 weeks later...

Mine is also a bit wobbly and falls out of adjustment fairly easy when I grab the camera from the camera bag. The camera is one of the first arriving in Norway early March, so it's probably from one of the first production series. I like the replaceable diopter lens on the X-Pro1 much better. My eyesight doesn't change that often...  ;)

Edited by Hans K Aspenberg

• 7 months later...

Fixed mine today...

Got a torx 2 driver, actually came with an iPhone screen replacement. Need a small rubber o ring about the size of the number 0 here. Unscrewed the dial, fitted the o ring and screwed tightly back together. 2 mins maximum.

No wobble and the diopter works fine. How it should have been in my eyes.

If you look under the diopter dial there is a foam washer embedded into it. It is too soft and doesn't stop the movement.

Another alternative I was going to do was to shorted the screw holding it all together. But seeing as my fix worked for me I left that.

Hope that helps.

Would these work?

https://www.amazon.com/ABN-O-Ring-Assortment-419-Piece-Universal/dp/B00KC3CUJE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484916458&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=o-ring&psc=1

did you end up fixing yours?

Not yet but I plan to get it to Fujifilm. One reason is to understand what's the problem. Whether it was a design flaw or something else. The other is to find out how they are going to fix it. I'll post my comments thereafter.

Only the knob is loose. It doesn't impede function. The diopter stays put. It's been raining, so.....

From memory, as I did the fixes upon release, I think the screw was either a bit to long for the depth of the hole and/or the material acting as a bush between the camera and diopter is too soft/spongy. I just packed it out and made mine stiff.

Thanks for sharing. I can fix mine too but I'm just curious what Fujifilm will do. We will know what's the real problem is after that. Good to know I guess. The only thing I'm concerned about a diy fix is the weather sealing.

From memory, as I did the fixes upon release, I think the screw was either a bit to long for the depth of the hole and/or the material acting as a bush between the camera and diopter is too soft/spongy. I just packed it out and made mine stiff.

Just to double check, torx 2 precisely, right?