Optical viewfinder -- how often?

I use it 50/50 on my xpro 3. I like the EVF because it shows me exactly what the photo is going to look like if I’m using a film sim like BW, etc. but if I’m using the OVF, I can still bring up a small preview window that gives me a solid idea of what it’ll look like too. I go back and forth depending on how I feel like shooting that day 

• 2 weeks later...

I use it 90% of the time and it's in fact the reason I went for the X-Pro series (i could have gone for the X100's but I like the idea of interchangeable lenses). Having the little preview window is a real bonus for those occasions when I need to get an idea of exposure etc (I never could read those histograms).

Edited by manwithglasses

• 2 weeks later...

Picking between an optical and electronic viewfinder is a personal choice. If you're seeking an authentic photography experience, you might prefer an optical viewfinder because it feels more natural to use. It's generally easier to notice your subject and surroundings when you're looking through an optical viewfinder, particularly when it's bright outside. Others might prefer electronic viewfinders, which show a real-time preview of the exposure, white balance, and other settings. Since they can be used for playback, you can review images without taking your eye off the viewfinder.

I bought the X-Pro2 for the optical viewfinder, and that's what I use it for most of the time. A single prime lens, an X-Pro2 on a strap, that's quintessential photography to me. Thus, for most situations, it's 100% OVF. 

For zooms or very wide lenses, I use an X-T3 with its electronic viewfinder instead. The only time I use the X-Pro2's EVF is when I go on an explicit photography excursions with the 16-80/X-T3 and 70-300/X-Pro2. But those occasions are rare. (As a fun diversion, I occasionally use the 70-300 with the OVF for tracking birds. It's kind of useful to be able to see outside the frame when you try to keep a small, fast-moving object in frame) 

On the other hand, I tend to use the back screen kind of a lot, maybe 50/50 with the OVF. 

• 4 weeks later...