KAIZEN IS BACK: Fuji France says: “Firmware Update for the X-E2 will come. Release date not yet fixed!”

If it's true then I'm pleased to see it but it does seem an odd kind of announcement. Perhaps it's just the translation but it does seem to suggest that Fuji started looking into an X-E2 update because of customer demand, but surely it should have been obvious to them that there would be this demand? And they hardly need to ask what user want - they (we) want the moon on a stick.

Perhaps the announcement is trying to emphasis how responsive Fuji is to its customers but I'd like to think they were working on this before we started asking for it. I'm sure that the package, if it comes, will be determined primarily by technical and commercial criteria, not a consumer wish list.

Agreed olli.. this does sound weird.

looking at the dates of the posts was useful to me.   The order is somewhat backwards as listed on Fuji Rumors website. Here is the flow in correct order as it appears on Facebook.

Question from Fuji-x.fr (forum admin): May 11th:  

Electronics and the sensor being shared between the elements and the Xe2, Rotationally Xt1 I hope that it will not be forgotten 

Response from Fuji France: May 15th:

Hello, this is possible because we [Fuji France] know that our Japanese engineers are working on it currently but we have no more accurate information

Follow up Response from Fuji France: May 22nd:

Following the announcement of the updated firmware of the x-T1, We  [Fuji France] received a lot of requests for an update to the x-E2. In response to these requests, we  [Fuji France] plan to publish an update to the x-E2 as soon As possible. The date of publication is not yet fixed [by Fuji HQ] and will depend on the changes made by this update, that we will define from the requests of our users.   [<-- IMHO, this last part is pure 100% grade A BS. ] 

Sounds like a classic case of the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing and speaking out of turn from what is actually happening in HQ.   I somehow doubt Japan management is very happy with Fuji France right now.  Likewise, Fuji France is probably not very happy with HQ either for keeping them and their customers in the dark either.

My read:

Fuji France to HQ:  Our customer are out with pitch forks and torches.   They are demanding an update to X-E2 firmware.  We need to give them something, the XE-2 has similar hardware and is only 3 mo older than X-T1. 

Fuji HQ to Fuji France:  OK, ok..we will try to give them something but it is not really a priority right now for us. We have a SW release to get out for X-T10 and X-T1.  We will decide what is appropriate and when after the X-T1 and X-T10 SW release is done, which is our top priority right now.  We will get back to you and then we can discuss what we should offer and provide timeline.

Is there any reason to think that Fuji monitors (have enough resources to monitor) forums like this one to see what people are asking for?

If so it's great, and I see absolutely no reason to complain they are preparing an update in regard to customers reaction, and how they should have begun preparing it before people started to ask for it (do people ever stop asking for features?), the end result is the same and we will never know exactly anyway.

Must not be that easy when your own fan base is the hardest on you...

I guess they have to offer something for the E2. The E2 is their actual offer for serious rf-style cameras. With the same price tag as the 'new' T10. So either an update to T1 3.x functionality will come or a new E3. I doubt they will send all their rf-style customers away..

I guess they have to offer something for the E2. The E2 is their actual offer for serious rf-style cameras. With the same price tag as the 'new' T10. So either an update to T1 3.x functionality will come or a new E3. I doubt they will send all their rf-style customers away..

why would lack of action send new customer away and where would they go to get better service?

The X-E2 didn't get worse. Its still the same  (or better) camera they bought.   If it is for lack of all possible updates based on newer camera, who does better than Fuji?  I have an X-E1 and is is definitely better than when it was first released. Same for the X-E2.   I can't say that for any other camera brand that I own.   Canon, Sony, Nikon.  They are exactly the same as first released. ZERO updates.  Why move off of Fuji? Is the grass greener somewhere else?

why would lack of action send new customer away and where would they go to get better service?

It's about the future of rf-style cameras.

3 years ago I felt in love with the Pro1. And I bought the E1 as a backup. When the E2 came with a new sensor, I wanted to try it too. As Fuji then packaged the E2 technology as a slr-style T1, I was confused. I still think it looks silly. But I bought it, because there were no appropriate updates for the E2.

Now they put the old technology into the T10. For me, this is going too far. I will certainly not make me a fool with that silly flash on a strange miniature slr caricature. So I wait for the Pro2 or E3.

I photograph just for fun. Certainly the Pro1 still makes great images. As the E2. It's more about the feeling of being a second-class customer. Which is no fun.

As Fuji then packaged the E2 technology as a slr-style T1, I was confused. I still think it looks silly. But I bought it, because there were no appropriate updates for the E2.

IMHO...  ^ This right here is what Fuji is hoping. 

Sure. But does it work long term?

beyond my pay grade to know what is going on at Fuji specifically right now after the success of X-T1. ;-)

however I can tell you this. When you are a small player your only choice to stay alive is to find a niche that the bigger guys are not willing to target.  Premium niche products.  As you gain your footing, you try to market products that cut more into mainstream. If you find a great deal of success with mainstream you quick focus your resources there and run with the ball as fast as you can. Often leaving behind legacy customers in your wake; unfortunately.    Look at Apple and Fuji Heavy Industries.  i.e. Subaru. 

Is there any reason to think that Fuji monitors (have enough resources to monitor) forums like this one to see what people are asking for?

If so it's great, and I see absolutely no reason to complain they are preparing an update in regard to customers reaction, and how they should have begun preparing it before people started to ask for it (do people ever stop asking for features?), the end result is the same and we will never know exactly anyway.

Must not be that easy when your own fan base is the hardest on you...

Not sure who you are referring to but my comments were not a complaint - I was simply suggesting the wording was somewhat odd. Nor am I a 'fan' of Fuji, anymore than I'm a fan of Toyota because I have a RAV4 or Sony because I have a Bravia TV.

Totally stoked that this might be even remotely true. My first camera was the X-E2, and then recently the X-T1. For wedding work, I use both simultaneously. However,  AF on the X-T1 (while still lacking until the v4 firmware) is much better than the X-E2. I still love the X-E2, and would hate to see it abandoned after I just acquired it. It is not remotely as old as some are saying. If you look at the lifecycle of other cameras (other than Sony, who seems to be launching new cameras every 6 months), Fuji cameras are all pretty young in their lifecycle by comparison.

I've just recently bought an XE2 as a alternative to my full frame Nikon for travelling light and I'd hate to see them ditch the RF style too.

I was considering the XT1 but the offers on the XE2 were too good - but now I have it, I quite like the RF styling. Hopefully we'll see the RF style continue with the X Pro 2 and XE3 (or X Pro 20). 

It would be brilliant if they could update the firmware on the XE2 to bring it in line with the other cameras though.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

aside the fact that there is already a specific thread called 

Any news about a FW 4.0 update on the E2?

http://www.fuji-x-forum.com/topic/27-any-news-about-a-fw-40-update-on-the-e2/page-6

Fuji-Rumors reported a rumor where some software update for the X-E2 will come in about 6 months ( or longer), so you many have 5 more months to wait.

http://www.fujirumors.com/kaizen-fujifilm-x-e2-firmware-update-coming-in-about-6-months-x-t1-firmware-4-0-coming-june-22/

post-106-0-57977800-1436785531.jpg

• 1 month later...

I guess there are a couple of possibilities here-

1. Could Fuji improve the X-E2 tracking autofocus to the level of the X-T1/X-T10, if they presumably have the same relevant hardware?

2. Could Fuji add the new AF modes from the X-T1/X-T10, if they presumably have the same relevant hardware?

Would #2 even really matter, if they couldn't do #1? (since these new modes seem mostly for tracking subjects.)

There is clearly a Fuji precedent for this, in that they significantly improved the X100 autofocus performance. Actually, they did this even though the X100S had already been released. The X-E2 is actually the current model.

When they improve software algorithms for autofocus, etc., it is nice to offer firmware upgrades to other models that can utilize the new algorithms. If they don't do any of these, I will still be pretty happy with my X-E2. But if they do both of these, and also fix waxy skin, I would be really, really happy!

the X-E2 is equipped with the necessary sensor to enable the camera to use the new software. The only serious difference with the X-10 then will be the higher resolution of the EVF.

Come december 2015, the promised update will come, by then the sales of the X-10 would have established the camera against older models such as the X-E2.

But if not this time around , there will be a time when any older camera will no longer receive any more kaizen.

Stop moaning people - customer based FW updates are one of the reasons people buy Fuji (aprt fromt hem being great cameras in the first place and having an aperture ring).

How many other manufacturers actually listen to customer feed back and set about trying to give them what they want?

Canon? Nikon? Sony? Olympus?

From what I read, any of their FW updates are to correct failings in the camera from release or failings introduced by previous updates.

I have an X-100T, and people are already screaming for FW updates for the focusing. I'm fairly sure on Canon Rumors and Nikon Rumors such requests are met with people saying 'don't waste your breath!'